Dell PowerEdge 2950 - max SATA disk size

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Dropbear, May 19, 2015.

1. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

There seem to be a flood of these sorts of low end rack mounted servers around for next to nicks these days.

The spec sheet says the maximum internal storage for these is say 8x1TB SATA drives. Is that 1TB drive a hard limit based on the chipset or bios or could you potentially stick 4TB drives in them?

Also, these "2U Rack" type servers - I imagine they are typically very noisy?

2. crazyhatman

crazyhatman Member

We have/had a bunch of these at work, but I can't vouch for anything larger than 1TB at this stage, as that is the largest HDD that we had plugged into one.

The ones we have come with either PERC 5 or PERC 6 cards in them, and I think from memory that with the PERC 5, you can only create RAID sets with a total size of up to 2TB. So I'm guessing that you won't be able to use large disks with that one.

Not sure about the PERC 6 for individual drives, but the RAID virtual disk could be larger than 2TB on them. Might want to keep an eye out for this type when purchasing.

And yes, they are super loud! :D

3. OP
    OP
    Dropbear

Dropbear Member

I'd be interested in knowing if you can you use them as JBOD with larger drives. I'm happy to do the RAID in software, but if larger drives arn't going to be recognised, then it's no point ..

Should say also looking at a number of HP-Proliant-Dl380-G5 - but the specs seem similar.

4. aza2001

aza2001 Member

we had a few of these filled with 2 tb drives in each bay at the last place i worked at

5. OP
    OP
    Dropbear

Dropbear Member

one more stupid question, with these rack mounted form factors, they still work fine sitting on a desk right?

Also with the redundant power supplies, do you need both plugged in and active, or can you just plug in the 'primary' ?

6. crazyhatman

crazyhatman Member

They'll work fine sitting on a desk and with just one PSU plugged in. They'll even run fine sitting on their side wedged between two sets of drawers. Give 'em a bit of room front and back for airflow and it should be sweet.

7. gords

gords Oh deer!

They'll work fine on a desk.

In this case, you'll be able to plug in just one PSU and it'll be fine.

8. OP
    OP
    Dropbear

Dropbear Member

was 2TB a limit, or just the biggest thing you tried?

9. Jonchilds

Jonchilds Member

If they come with the PERC6 cards as suggested, then there's a 2TB limit per drive.

10. ae00711

ae00711 Member

This. & the PERC5's as well - 2TB limit per disk.
    If plugged into Intel chipset, no limit that I'm aware of :thumbup:

11. OP
    OP
    Dropbear

Dropbear Member

Cheers, thanks all.. So in effect I'd be looking at a PCI type sata card or sticking with 2TB drives...