Dell Studio XPS 13 and 16

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by JCB81, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Jarrah

Jarrah Member

I havent actually timed it but on a full change mine says it will last 2:30 doing normal desktop browsing and the like in power saving mode (either lowest or close to lowest brightness).

2. SGG

SGG Member

Its the price today mate.

3. SGG

SGG Member

I built it today on the dell website ........ this spec is $2908 on their site now ..... just select all of the options and thats what it comes to.

4. kearnsyaus

kearnsyaus Member

I stand corrected!

If you configure up the cheapest model, add cpu, upgrade warranty, upgrade to 7200rpm 500gb hard disk you do get a price around $2900.

No idea why you would configure the cheapest... if you configure up the middle system to the same specs you save almost $300 straight up before any discount.

Still $2000 is still a great price, even with 15% off $2600 still only brings it down to $2200.

5. SGG

SGG Member

NP....I hadn't noticed that about the next system over :eek: .... the $900 price difference looked a little strange at the time.

6. AesthetiCz

AesthetiCz Member

Fired up a thread over in the networking area but I thought I might check here as well to see if any other owners have had a similar issue.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=811375

I got my new Studio XPS 1340 yesterday and the first thing i did was wipe vista and put windows 7 on.

Now, I am having problems with the wireless network. It connects to my wireless network, I can even ping external sites like google but web browsers will not display any content.

After talking extensively with Dell and Belkin I think the problem is conflict between windows network utility and dell network utility. However, I cant find where to turn the windows utility off. Does anyone know how this can be done?

In older versions of windows there was an option to choose who managed the wireless networks; windows or dell. There doesnt appear to be such an option in windows 7. And the dell utility itself doesnt seem to have any options at all, it seems more like a monitoring tool more than anything that serves any functional purpose. I cant just delete this because it is bundled with the wireless drivers.

Anyone had a similar problem?

Funny thing is, I am on a different wireless network right now and it seems to be working. far out i have no idea....

7. Draco

Draco Member

Hi guys, my flatmate is looking at getting an XPS16 but I'm a little put off by the Windows7 upgrade disk. She's not really computer literate and I just smell grief with it.

Does anybody know when Dell will be shipping systems with Windows7 preinstalled? It just seems easier and safer this way.

8. the scotsman

the scotsman Member

It's not difficult to put a Widows 7 DVD in and choose upgrade.

But if you want W7 from the start, you need to wait until October 22nd, the Windows 7 release date.

9. xtortion

xtortion Member

The Compaq NX8220 laptop that I'm using hasn't had a wireless network dropout in days. It happens on my 1640 at least once a day. No idea.

10. SavvyFx

SavvyFx Member

I think windows 7 had my wireless drivers with it. I can't remember installing any, but if I did, it was either through windows update or Device manager. That way there will be no crapware installed with it.

11. November

November Member

Does anyone know how to apply this deal in real life. I PMd HA and asked him how it works and he obligingly told me that apparently if you buy a desktop or laptop you only pay 85%.... somehow.

12. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

I think you get yor cart ready and advise HA.

13. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

How retarded are Dell? I'd ordered my XPS 13 last week. I want to get a few extra AC adapters for myself and a collegue. Of course you cannot order an AC adapter online, you have to call. So I call and get put through to spare parts ane be put on hold 4 times then the call disconnects. I call back and get someone, get a price and get it approved. I call back to order. They guy will not sell me one without the service tag of my laptop. But I want to order them now so that they're here when my laptop arrives not wait another two weeks after getting the laptop! Why you cannot order online either I do not know.

Well then Dell you miss out on a few hundred bucks - 3rd party Targus here I come!

/rant

14. HellsAngel

HellsAngel Member

That sucks Acid he should be able to just order it for you.

I managed to give a spare charger free to another member as he needed a spare one for office and for home.

15. garvs

garvs Member

hmmm delivery of my Laptop was estimated for yesterday 14th but there was no courier at all that turned up

this is what it says once I login:
    Current Status: With Local Carrier (been like that since the 9th)
    Estimate Delivery Date: To be advised.(was the 14th) Please check this site at later time. For further enquiries please submit your request.

damn couriers! lol

16. the scotsman

the scotsman Member

Have you tried calling the courier? All they need is your Dell order number. 1800 819 339

17. garvs

garvs Member

rang them and after a little wait i spoke to a person who put me onto another person lol that was able to check and said i should have got a call yesterday from the local courier and it should ahve been delivered so he was going to contact them to get it sent out today (hopefully)

cheers for the phone number :) :thumbup:

18. Miyagi

Miyagi Member

well it looks like my build and subsequent delivery date has been extended... :thumbdn: :Paranoid:

19. garvs

garvs Member

ok update:

laptop has arrived and looks great :) cheers for the help

its heaps better than my old system lol

20. garvs

garvs Member

ok after using the laptop for a little bit i quickly noticed a slight sound coming from where the plug slots into the ac adapter... does anyone else's do this?

its almost sounds like its an ticking and an electrical noise sort of if its not making the connection correct or something

do you think i may have gotten a dud power ac adapter? :confused: