1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

DeLorean DMC-12

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by tangcla, Mar 19, 2012.

1. MoonShadow

MoonShadow Member

I thought it was a bit out of place because of the grass. Would've been perfect with the power lines in the background on some bitumen and some black rubber behind the car :)

2. Cask

Cask Member

I'd give both my left nuts for one, and if they threw in a flux capacitor I'd offer my right nut too!!

3. yods

yods Member

It may be a bit lame but I would have loved to see some long exposure/light painting to simulate the tracks on fire at some stage (or real fire...)

4. OP
    OP
    tangcla

tangcla Member

Well when the train went past, I did get a light trail:
    [​IMG]

The track is behind and below the grassy embankment so I wasn't really able to capture the track itself.

5. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

I've been holding back on commenting on these, I understand it would be a difficult subject.

I love the car, always wanted one. But the location, particularly the grass is really, in my opinion, a poor choice.

The composition is also quite lacking, in some you've got some really unusual crops and severe angles which just don't appear to be working.

The mixed colour temps due to the door lighting could probably be managed a little better (carry some gels!!!)

I think it might be time to try something other than lightpainting. I'm visualising so many images of this car in different light and I can't help but feel these are disappointing compared to some of your other really nice location shots.

On the other hand, the interior looks great.

I hope you can take that feedback constructively and I'm certainly not having a dig.

6. OP
    OP
    tangcla

tangcla Member

I'll colour correct the whole gallery when I get time in the next few days.

However I do encourage all of you to try to take a photo of a DeLorean - by far the hardest vehicle I've had to shoot, maybe with the exception of a black MGA.
    http://www.tangcla.com/gallery_87-28122011-MG-MGA.htm

7. OP
    OP
    tangcla

tangcla Member

I've taken feedback into account; the 'white balance' being off isn't actually white balance, but the amount of light reflected off the grass.

Have a look now and see if it looks more 'normal'.

8. OP
    OP
    tangcla

tangcla Member

I take it by your lack of response, that there's nothing left to critique...? :Pirate:

Here's take two, of another Delorean.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

I don't really want to hurt your feelings :|

There isn't much separation between the car and background. The car is lit really evenly (boring IMO). The one of the (awesome) flux capacitor doesn't look dissimilar to a phone pic with direct LED flash.

I took the liberty of looking at a lot of picture delorean's, a lot taken in sunlight and they seem to look alright. I think it isn't suited to lightpainting.

10. OP
    OP
    tangcla

tangcla Member

I agree, it's not the best candidate for lightpainting. That's why this second shoot was a combination of painting and hard light to catch the reflection.
    Daytime would catch the light much easier on the car.

This is a new location I tried for the first time, and if I use it in future, I'll be adding some light to rake across the background to give it some colour.

11. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Yeah the location looks good in that second batch. I think a longer lens and more distance might help too.

Be interested to see it shot in a dark place with a little bit of flash here and there behind the car to get contours.

12. OP
    OP
    tangcla

tangcla Member

Location was too small, most of that was towards the tele end of my 24-70 already.
    (in other news... thinking of selling the 24-70 for a 24-105 for more manliness compensation!)

Will keep you updated if I get another Delorean to shoot :thumbup:

13. mmBax

mmBax Member

I agree with what everyone else has said about the grass, I've always tried to stick to the rule that any car that doesn't go offroad shouldn't be photographed on grass.

But...Where we're going, we don't need roads? :leet:

14. Sir Ghallahad

Sir Ghallahad Member

I've done shots of my brothers and I found just using 3 or so flashes worked fine, not light painting.

And I agree with others that it deserves more of an urban jungle, cement, wire fences, etc background.

I'll see if I can get my lazy bro to take it out of the garage for some more shots soon.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012