Demand for iPhone 6 vs 6+... which did you preorder?

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by chylld83, Sep 13, 2014.

?

Which iPhone have you pre-ordered (or plan to buy)

1. iPhone 6 (4.7")

68 vote(s)
    39.8%
  2. iPhone 6 Plus (5.5")

70 vote(s)
    40.9%
  3. Neither (I prefer the size of my iPhone 4/5[s])

33 vote(s)
    19.3%
  1. chylld83

chylld83 Member

The Apple online preorder page shows that the wait time for all 6+ models is "3-4 weeks", whereas some 6 models are still available for delivery on launch day. I'm wondering about the demand/supply balance for the 6+...

The preorder process was pretty sloppy, with the green SELECT button putting erroneous GET parameters into the URL which prevented checkout until they were removed (thankfully I was following the Whirlpool thread simultaneously and knew the workaround).

Lined myself up for launch day delivery of a 6+ 64GB; looking forward to giving iOS a fair go after 4 years of Android and countless custom ROMs. Last iPhone I had was the 3GS :tongue:

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I was going to have a look in-store before I purchased just to see the different sizes....but couldn't be bothered in the end and just pre-ordered the 6+.

3. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

Yeah, what Chilled said. While I'd pick the 6+ for better battery and the iPad-esque tilty-screeney stuff, I'd have to hold one to make sure I'm comfortable with it and confident holding it in one hand.

The Reachability thing is awesome, too.

4. OP
    OP
    chylld83

chylld83 Member

I just printed out the template and tried them both :) Realised that the 6 is the same physical and display size as my HTC One M7 and I can't use that one-handed nicely anyway, so figured I might as well go for the 6+ for bigger screen, better battery life, OIS and that nifty left/right messaging UI.

Poll is still young but surprised at the 6+ acceptance rate, wonder if the 6+ has more interest from Android owners than the 6...

5. xc351

xc351 Member

The Telstra preorders were a joke. Took me hrs to get on and the 6+ was sold out.

Signed up today for the 6+ 64gb 3-4 week shipping time. Large plan (2.5gb + 1gb free) now to decided if I should save this phone as a back up or start fresh.

Also now the new phone feeling is free

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

They had it back up either same/next day though.

7. booksacool1

booksacool1 Member

I'm leaning towards the 6 myself. Put a cardboard mockup of the 6+ in my pocket and the bloody thing was stabbing in my sides when bending over. Its Hueg.

8. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

Yeah but lets hope the real deal is a tad less stabby than cardboard. :lol:

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

10. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

I had planned to get the 4.7inch 6. Then when I saw the details of higher resolution, much better battery life etc that was enough to push me to just go the 6+.

Had also planned to go for 32gb after having a 16gb 5 and feeling I could do with a minor size upgrade. However apple has trolled me and I was forced to jump to 64gb lol. At least I'll have heaps of space now I guess :)

11. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

Quite surprised by the responses here. I didn't think the 6+ would be that popular

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Why is that? Leaked apple documents suggested people wanted larger screens.

13. OP
    OP
    chylld83

chylld83 Member

Same. The conclusion that I'm prematurely drawing here is that the 6+ stock shortages are evenly due to both high demand and low supply. The Apple website online preorders showed 3-4 weeks for ALL 6+ models way before the 6 models started showing the same (I think some are stil at 7-10 days).

Makes sense if the small-screen Apple / anti-iPhone Android fanbois are just a vocal minority, and most people are perfectly happy to give a larger iPhone a shot!

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Always the case, every release.

15. vid_ghost

vid_ghost Member

Apple wants a "perceived" desirable product.. they want it to be SOLD out and on pre-order/back order or have people lined up for it! Its a great strategy !!! and brilliant marketing... They may also be intentionally holding back a % of supply to keep up their rare jewel status like the diamond industry does, They will give customers options like 16GB or 64GB for $100 more "64gb models will be sold out some of the time" So Apple customers who cant wait will buy a 16gb model then after 3-4 months need to buy another phone as 16GB isnt enough, with no microSD its tuff luck need to buy another iphone6 or 7 .. you want your iphone6 to last until the Next IOS release SORRY NOT GOING TO HAPPEN .. apples ONLY put in 1GB of ram in the new iphone6 so when they release the new IOS they can make it need 2GB's and people will need to buy a Iphone7 with 2Gb's ...At $1250 for a 128GB model iphone 6 Plus its not going to be a cheap upgrade for those people

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  16. OP
    OP
    chylld83

chylld83 Member

Your post, combined with the fact that 6/6+ sales are very strong, has just proved my point :)

17. vid_ghost

vid_ghost Member

People do want larger screens!, some already couldn't wait and move to android if apple stayed at 4" they would have been a dead duck! They are VERY lucky they copied all the other companies and move to the larger sizes. That said i know allot of people that prefer the smaller 4" phones and are not happy with the larger 4.7" Cant make everyone happy i guess

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  18. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Lol what? Apple has a strong history of providing much better iOS support to old models compared to android.

I would have never considered a 5.5" phone before this. I just couldn't ignore the higher res and better battery life and decided I'd go for it. Only time will tell whether I end up thinking it's too big :)

19. Zee

Zee Member

I would have preferred 4.3, but 4.7 will probably be just about the limit of it working for my needs.

I'll see what sort of deal I can screw out of Voda...

Z...

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

They should be throwing deals at people these days to attract customers back?