Design careers for past BA designer?

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Digital Art' started by crabbytech, Oct 31, 2016.

1. crabbytech

crabbytech Member

My last job I was PM, BA, Systems Analyst, DBA, you get it, they paid me $110k to do everything for a rather complex state of the art infrstructure based monitoring/reporting online system.

2 Things I enjoyed, the rest I didnt, especially the people, but I used my BA skills to seem like I liked them (How to win friends and influence etc).

1. The project management. Not being an expert I ended up having to create my own methodology which was a hybrid of waterfall and agile, Id say it resembled rapid. Essentially building chunks and showing the client and coming back with requirements etc. It really was a waterfall job but the client wanted immediate results.

2. The design. i REALLY enjoyed designing the screen mockups and the UX of the system, by far that was the most fun. What would this be called, UX designer?

So where to now, Ive had a few years out of IT working in Ecology, I needed a break after the death of my parents.

I enjoy Graphic Design but I cant draw and didnt do art at Uni. Im also into photography as a hobby. Whilst I mainly use Light Room, I know my way around PS.

Knowing my skills is there anything you can suggest I should look into?

Im so glad to be back to OC and off WP.

2. m3k

m3k Member

make a porfolio online, apply for jobs.

3. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i don't have any university level training in graphic design but I pretty much started designing stuff like DVD covers just for fun in my spare time and I started building a portfolio that way.

I wanted to get into a graphic design course but even at tafe it's very competitive so i moved over to web design instead and it worked out. I build websites, design menus screens for DVDs, design HTML emails, for an agency.

do a few tafe courses, build a portfolio, and applying for jobs is just part of it. having confidence is the other bit, don't be afraid to learn on the job cos you'll probably get to do some cool shit and say what you can and can't do.