Desktop Headphone Amplifier Suggestions

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by Tazor, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Tazor

Tazor Member

Hey all,

Currently looking to update my desktop headphone amplifier which is a Schiit Asgard I borrowed off my dad.

I'm not really too fussed regarding DAC's, I think DAC's are somewhat overrated unless you're listening to music, and even then the difference is minimal and I find I get better results from decent amplification (I tend to use my Oppo HA2 as a headphone Amp only instead of a DAC/Amp with the onboard Saber 32bit).

I'm trying to keep it under $400 and my preference is for high quality Class-A amplification, Balanced is desired although not overly common at this pricepoint.

Currently tossing up between an Aune X7s or a Little Dot MkIII Tube amp.

I know these 2 are very different beasts so are hard to compare, but I'm not sure what other options I might be missing.

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Cheers,

Tazor

2. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

What headphones are your using? The Little Dot MKIII is a valve/tube amp so it will already add a noticeable amount of warmth to the overall sound. Having owned one I would say it entirely depends on the headphones you plan to use but it does have plenty of power to drive almost anything you want comfortably. Then if you get bored or want to find the sweet spot with it you can start 'Tube Rolling'

3. Suopermanni

Suopermanni Member

On Stereo.net.au, someone is selling a used Corda Classic for $400. It's a well regarded class A single ended amp, great for planars.

4. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

I have Oppo PM-3's and HiFiMAN HE-4XX's and will be getting some Monolith M1060's in the near future.
    Thanks for the recommendation, I've heard many similar things so I think I will definitely need to pick one up and some point for sure.
    That's a great looking unit, not sure I want to spend $400 though, $350 is pushing it at the moment and as far as I'm willing to go.

5. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

Any thoughts on Maverick A1 compared to the Little Dot MkIII?

Pretty much the same price with shipping...

6. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Go for the LD mk3.

7. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

If they ever reply to me I will... So difficult to get in Aus

8. mortal

mortal Member

I'm a fan of the JDS element