1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Desktop video on laptop

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by Reaper, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Reaper

Reaper Member

2. TheDamned

TheDamned Member

its not pretty cool

its fucking awesome

hard to beleive its taken this long to happen

3. wryun

wryun Member

Well, people have been doing this for a while... Asus even released that special box so you didn't have to do tricky stuff.

And Gigabyte just launched their M1405, which is probably a more pleasant solution all around.

4. Narcoticx2

Narcoticx2 Member

People at forum.notebookreview.com have been on to it for a fair while.
    Good idea, however it's only for the one laptop and it's only one GPU! I think that's why people like the other way better, you can choose GPU and PSU.

5. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

It's certainly a much better solution. It appears to resolve three of the big problems that the Asus system had: PCIe 1x, power, and monitor.

With the Asus one and also with [H] system, you're limited to a PCIe 1x link. Even with the Geforce 8600GT that Asus provided, the claimed performance was lower than a Geforce 6600. I hate to think what sort of a bottleneck the HD 5850 is getting. Sure, it'll beat the onboard video, but a HD 4550 would have done that without such a huge bottleneck.

To use these systems you need an external power supply and monitor. The card can't be powered from the laptop battery, and it can't feed video back to the laptop screen. This means that you'll only be using your laptop for gaming when you're sitting at your desk.

The result of this was (for the XG Station) that you could buy a low-end desktop PC for gaming, which would cost about as much as the XG Station while offering similar performance and much better upgrade options.

6. Narcoticx2

Narcoticx2 Member

Discussions on the [H] forum and also testing by tom's hardware lead me to believe that the card performs at around 75% of full speed at pci-e 1x.

Given that, it's still a lot faster than even the higher mobile cards. And it allows you to save money by getting a smaller/slower laptop with a decent cpu.

7. bennyg

bennyg Member

75% of a 5850 is still about 200% better than what I've got in this thing and 1 billion % better than integrated!

And the card is generating it's 200W outside the laptop case.

I hope this catches on bigtime.

The M1405 is an interesting idea but the SU7300 or indeed any C2D would just not cut it with a "proper" card, esp not in 2 years when the card is still quick enough the CPU won't be.

And Gigabyte's other thing is limited to 84W for the desky card - they mention a 5670. A 'masses' product but not one to fit in a desky 5870.

8. gibbz

gibbz Member

hehe cool way of doing that :) :thumbup:

9. sooti

sooti Member

Isnt this what ViDock is?

its like $70.

10. OP
    OP
    Reaper

Reaper Member

Cool, I guess so. Never heard of it before. Takes these threads for people to come out and tell everyone else about these sorts of things.

11. Glide

Glide Member

bought one, cant get it to work on my laptop, although I haven't given it too much of an effort yet.

12. Tatts_83

Tatts_83 Member

Why not just buy a desktop?

13. Narcoticx2

Narcoticx2 Member

A desktop doesn't suit everyone.