Destiny 2

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Frag, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Bertross

Bertross Member

It will be also interesting to see if Bungie delivers a better paying model of content now free of their publisher tyrant. This will also show gamers and the likes thereof if parting from a big publisher like Activision actually makes a difference. This seems to be a pretty rare occurrence in all honestly. You don't often see Triple AAA titles part from a big contract like this.

Even in the shitstorm, EA made with DICE using the star wars license they somehow still remained intact.

As for the Destiny 3 thing yeah I agree. Unless they have a new games engine they should be pushing regular content and keep changing the DLC names like forsaken. I wonder how long it takes for the Annual pass to be free.... ???

2. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Great! Another launcher to deal with.

3. Tazor

Tazor Member

The graphics and gameplay of Destiny 2 is good enough to remain with the same engine for years if they make incremental updates where it matters.

I would rather the game look the same for the next 5 year but get to keep all of the current content PLUS whatever the continue to release, than get something slightly shinier but with drastically less content.
    Can you imagine how much there would be to do if instead of releasing Destiny 2, Bungie just updated Destiny with MASSIVE content drops like WoW and other MMO's have done?
    6 Raids, probably 50+ strikes, 10's of locations and hundreds of exotics to unlock... You see how they can completely overhaul things like weapon slots and rolls so it would not have been impossible, it was just a matter of making money from the hype train of Destiny 2 and their contract with Activision was to release 3 games in 10 year, so they would not have been allowed to do that within the contractual terms.

Sunder and Bertross like this.
  4. Bertross

Bertross Member

I watched a video and it was stated we are keeping the bnet launcher apparently. Ill try and find the real source.

5. Sunder

Sunder Member

I'd pay a WOW like subscription for that.

6. Tazor

Tazor Member

Bertross likes this.
  7. boneburner

boneburner Member

Why is everyone so worried about launchers? - remember before steam when EVERY game had its own launcher... how did us dinosaurs survive :rolleyes:

8. power

power Member

you sound confused, have a lie down gramps.

Bertross likes this.
  9. Bertross

Bertross Member

LOL I see where boneburner is coming from. Just a technicality :p

10. Sunder

Sunder Member

Launchers that stay up in the background do chew up resources, and most want to startup with the PC. Not much on a modern PC, but if you're on a laptop or an older PC, they do start adding up.

Older games generally didn't have launchers that stayed running when the game ran, and certainly didn't try to startup with the PC, so I can see where Night Stalker is coming from.

11. boneburner

boneburner Member

Oh, yes I guess they do - and not that it would apply to many here, but the average user has probably never touched the startup options. Nothing gets on mine unless its absolutely needed.

12. zed_kid

zed_kid Member

I’m stuck on the first forge quest – griffindor forge or whatever.

Up to the part where it says kill captains on Nessus, I do kill, even yellow bar captains and the % doesn’t progress on the quest.

Is it bugged? Or because the forges have changed I can’t progress the quest?

13. power

power Member

let's call a spade a spade, they are more stores and always on drm rather than launchers :)

14. Tazor

Tazor Member

No, it's because you have to wait for a very specific Wanted Fallen captain to spawn, which is random.

Go to Exodus Black and wait on the building structure in front of where you spawn. When he spawn there will be a world announcement "A WANTED enemy has arrived" or something like that. his Ketch then flies down behind the building and you can kill him to complete the next step.

zed_kid likes this.
  15. Roger

Roger Member

It's my understanding that destiny changed a heap leading up to it's initial release and whole parts had to be scrapped and other parts cobbled together to make what ended up being the story in D1 (hence why it was an absolute mess of a story). I think part of the agreement they signed with activision was to have a certain number of releases a year (for them to sell a season pass) which turned out to be flat out pretty much impossible for them to keep up with. Once they went to the single release in year 2, which was really well recieved, they needed to make up the lost revenue from not having a season pass after the taken king, which is where the eververse came into being, which was originally sold to the players as being used to fund the live events throughout the year.

I think this is where things went pear shaped, while I personally never spent any money on the eververse in D1, it must have done well enough for Activision to take notice and demand more and more (as Jim Sterling would say, AAA publishers, don't just want money, they want all of the fucking money). I think this is probably why D2 felt so hollow after the first couple of weeks after release, stuff had been held back to sell in the season pass, and most of the interesting cosmetic stuff had been changed to better sell in the eververse store (shaders, ships, sparrows etc). While I think Bungie did well to limit the stuff sold to being purely cosmetic, it did piss a heap of people off and I can only guess that it didn't sell as well in D2. In D1 Year 2 it felt like "Hey, I am buying this stuff to help fund the game" where in D2 you were paying for the game, then the season pass, then also being sold stuff in the Eververse that you used to be able to earn in game.

I'm really hoping that once Activision is fully out of the picture, Bungie really pulls their finger out and gives us the amazing game we all want, at this point D2 isn't a bad game, but it could be soooooo much more and I think even if you really enjoy what's to offer now, you can see the potential the franchise has to be above and beyond what it is now. I'm hoping they can just keep creating amazing experiences which will make more than enough from box sales alone to keep funding the game into the future without needing to shove extra revenue streams in our faces, which I think Activision is trying to do now. Destiny makes more than enough money from sales, Activision (and their shareholders) just want more and more.

SkillUp made a good point on Twitter, with Destiny gone, Activision itself basically has COD as it's only franchise, which is probably why they seem to be trying to hard to push blizzard to breaking point, instead of focusing on creating good products and selling them while making a healthy profit for the year, they seem to be eating themselves alive trying to keep up with insane shareholder expectations I can only guess probably brought on by some recent years where games like Overwatch blew up and made stupid amounts of money for the year, so the next year they were expected to make more which is basically impossible to achieve year over year.

Next move will be in Bungies court, they have a chance to win back goodwill with their fans and to prove that Activision played a big part in past disappointments, lets see what they do.