Devils Canyon Z87 support?

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by scracy, Mar 23, 2014.

1. scracy

scracy Member

Does anyone know if Z87 will support Devils Canyon Haswell refresh CPU? Strangely most motherboard manufacturers have released a bios update that implies that Z87 will support the new chips,but from all the press releases that i have been able to read suggest you need Z97...can anyone shed some light on this?

2. booj

booj Member

All MSI 8 series boards have support for them in updated bios'. Presumably other brands will as well.

3. OP
    OP
    scracy

scracy Member

I was hoping that was the case and not just intel trying to get more money out of us again for new motherboards,all official news i have read says Z97 only which seems kinda strange since as you stated most manufacturers have had a bios update recently.

4. DarkForceMage

DarkForceMage Member

DDR4 support would say no?

5. Carcin0Genic

Carcin0Genic Member

Devils canyon doesn't have ddr4 support, haswell-e does.
    Devils canyon is just haswell refresh before broadwell.

6. DarkForceMage

DarkForceMage Member

Ah doh, my bad, all the damn updates for haswell-e have devils canyon thrown in there, epic fail by me lmao :leet:

http://www.gamersnexus.net/news/1363-intel-devils-canyon-cpu-unveil

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  7. Carcin0Genic

Carcin0Genic Member

Really? Intel are saying they will be 9-series chipset only.

8. issa2006

issa2006 Member

they will just remove a pin...and you need new board + ram

hope they have a option for 1.5v ddr3?

9. Carcin0Genic

Carcin0Genic Member

Why wouldn't they have the option for 1.5v ddr3? Isn't that the standard?

10. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

Where have you been reading that?

All the Intel slides that's been coming out are saying 8 series chipset will work with the Haswell refresh.

Remember guys Intel work on the Tick/Tock cycle for so you get around 2 years give or take. Much like the 6 series and 7 series, this will be no different.

The 1.35V mandate is largely enforced on mobile parts, which makes sense because for the past 4 generations the focus has been on battery life over raw performance. 1.5V DRAM gear have been running fine on Haswell Desktop parts since day one.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  11. VeritronX

VeritronX Member

I'm pretty sure that the the reason for haswell refresh is because they are moving the voltage regulation back off of the cpu and onto the motherboard, which means having to break socket compatibility with existing 1150 designs. Sure, you might be able to find boards with the new socket that use z87, but none of the existing 1150 boards will work because they don't have the required power delivery hardware for the refresh chips to function.

12. OP
    OP
    scracy

scracy Member

Its very misleading Intel are saying you need Z97 for devils canyon,motherboard manufacturers have released new bios to suit devils canyon,so who do you believe? From my understanding devils canyon will be 1150 with changed pin arrangement...in which case no bios change will make any difference.:(

13. Azer1234

Azer1234 Member

from my understanding, haswell refresh is coming in couple of weeks. this includes 4790 (100mhz stock clock bump). not sure if this refresh is called devils canyon?

then in September or so we have devils canyon at the same (ish) time of haswell-e. the devils canyon chips will be the K version of the refresh that we are getting soon.

so, the refresh coming soon is supported on z87. as for the 4790K, im not sure but I really wanna find out!

14. bobster

bobster Member

A few sites say its Z97 only

15. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

And the majority of sites says Z/H 8 series will work with Haswell refresh without an issue........

FFS, Intel isn't even updating the most basic H81 chipset for this refresh (like every other refresh). This should give you plenty of idea on what compatibility is going to be like when Intel won't even update its by far biggest volume chipset for LGA 1150. I don't know how people have got it in their heads how 8 series won't work.

16. OP
    OP
    scracy

scracy Member

The reason people have got in their heads that z87 wont work with 4790k is because thats what a majority of sites are saying and effectively going by the intel slides intel are saying as well. I hope that isnt the case as i love my z87 board but it would be nice to have a chip that will clock higher than my current 4.7ghz 4770k. I dont think we will really know for sure until they release devils canyon particularly 4790k,based on what we do know about z97 there seems to be no compelling reason to buy it,maybe intel knows this and maybe thats why k series chips may only work on z97...marketing ploy

17. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

You know what... forget it..... I had a nice full wall of text typed up explain how yours are wrong and how no reputable site are saying 8 series will not work with haswell refresh.

I rather just sit out the next 2 weeks and quote and laugh at panicking doom sayers. Its much more fun.

18. bobster

bobster Member

4790k will definately work on Z87 so don't worry about that but I don't think they are Devil's Canyon.

legitreviews say clicky..

"The one bad bit of information is that it appears that Devil’s Canyon will only be supported by the Intel 9-series motherboards"

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  19. OP
    OP
    scracy

scracy Member

Iam not suggesting that im right im merely saying that most tech sites are reporting Z97 only to be compatible with devils canyon. But im also finding on other sites saying both Z87 and Z97 will be compatible...i have seen an intel slide that suggests Z87 will be compatible with devils canyon but the one intel showed at its press conference suggests the opposite....wait and see i guess.

20. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

My understanding is that the 4790 will be compatible with both. While the 4790k will only be compatible with z97