Devotion: first person horror [on Steam February 19]

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Fortigurn, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Website with a link to a downloadable demo (you don't see that these days). Game has already been Greenlit. Video here is from an early build in 2017.

Disclaimer: I haven't played the game and don't know anything more than I've seen in the video. I do know one of the programmers, though I've never spoken with her about the game.

Sankari likes this.
  2. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

The torch flicker would give me a headache in minutes. Won't be playing it unless they fix that. The torch lag looks annoying but it's something I could put up with rather than something that would prevent me from playing the game.

3. OP
    OP
    Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

That was the Greenlight trailer, using a build from a year ago, so I don't expect it's representative of the final game. Now the game has been released, it's getting very positive reviews on Steam, and a lot of play time on YouTube.

4. havabeer

havabeer Member

You know your thread title says 3rd person, but the rest is first person

5. OP
    OP
    Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Thanks, fixed.

6. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

The flickering torch of doom seems to have been replaced by the Zippo of infinite fuel. Woo!

Fortigurn likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Well, the game has just been review bombed by Chinese trolls, who found the game contained what they consider to be a disrespectful reference to China's president Xi Jinping (it contains a meme about Xi Jinping which China's censors banned last year). They also took issue with the fact that the game's Taiwanese developer supports Taiwan's independence So they posted several thousand negative reviews on Steam, to try and drag down the game's score. This is how those mindless Chinese cultists respond when people don't do what they want.

Here are a few examples.

Sankari likes this.
  8. Munki

Munki Member

TAIWAN #1!!!

Fortigurn likes this.
  9. Smoothie

Smoothie Member

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  10. power

power Member

I welcome our new overlords.

Fortigurn likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

12. Sankari

Sankari Member

Wow, it beggars belief that Chinese mainlanders are this petty. They sound like a bunch of six year olds.

13. OP
    OP
    Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

They are. And for reference, they are "Chinese", not "Chinese mainlanders". The "mainlanders" language is used by China and her allies specifically to describe China's territory as more than the mainland, intending to identify territory such as Taiwan as part of China (one of the "Chinese islands", or "Chinese island territories").

Sankari likes this.
  14. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Easy to criticise when you live in nation free from a government imposing a social credit system on you that can literally ruin your life for speaking out against them.

Before you criticise a person, take a moment to understand the hardships in their lives, and gain some perspective. Lifelong (or in China's case, generations long) systematic abuse of human rights warps both an individual and a population.

I have nothing but sympathy for people living under despotic and tyrannical rule. What they have become under that rule is not what they could be given an alternative life of actual freedom and liberty from a corrupt system. I don't condone their current actions in any way, but it certainly does not "beggar belief" that people abused for this long end up this broken.

15. Sankari

Sankari Member

The Social Credit System is very new. Chinese attitudes towards Taiwan have been appalling for literally decades, regardless of whether they live in China or a free Western democracy.

China and Japan have spent thousands of years harbouring cultures based on isolationism, exceptionalism, and xenophobia. As late as WWII, they still believed they were naturally superior to all other races.

Can't blame the Communists for that.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    SomeBoredGuy likes this.
  16. elvis

Yes, the Social Credit System is new, but it is just one example. The systematic threatening and abuse of the Chinese people by the Chinese government is not new. That has been there for generations.

I don't consider people mentally, emotionally and spiritually broken to be "petty". I consider them mentally, emotionally and spiritually broken.

17. Sankari

Sankari Member

As I've already pointed out, these attitudes existed thousands of years before Communism. So that's not the answer.

I don't see any evidence that they're all 'mentally, emotionally and spiritually broken.' China isn't North Korea, where pretty much everyone is genuinely suffering.

China is a nation with a deeply ingrained superiority complex spanning several millennia (just like Japan). That's why they can't tolerate Taiwanese independence.

SomeBoredGuy and Fortigurn like this.
  18. OP
    OP
    Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

I live in Taiwan and I have visited China several times. I am very familiar with what Chinese citizens can and cannot do. I can tell you for a fact that the people who have chosen to review bomb this game are communist cultists. There is nothing whatsoever forcing them to do this. They will face no repercussions from not criticizing the game.

There are millions of Chinese who speak out against the government on a regular basis. There's an entire sub-culture supported by cottage industries and para-linguistics designed to circumnavigate government censorship. People who speak out against the government do so because they choose to. People who mindlessly parrot the government's propaganda and support it blindly do so because they choose to. In both cases people have decided for themselves what they prefer.

The fact is this game was wildly popular in China until the "Easter egg" was discovered, then the boot licking gamers decided to show their loyalty to their masters by review bombing it and complaining about it online. Meanwhile other Chinese gamers laughed it off and thought nothing of it. This is a matter of conscious choice.

So do I. But I have no sympathy for those who, under such a rule, deliberately choose to be boot lickers.

No, what they have become under that rule is what they have chosen to become. They have an alternative path. Millions of other Chinese in exactly the same environment have chosen the better path. These other people have chosen to be boot lickers.

19. elvis

I think you genuinely underestimate what such a rule does to people over the long term - generational Stockholm Syndrome.

Same goes for you.

My initial issue was Sankari 's "Chinese mainlanders are this petty" comment that lumped quite literally billions of people into one large demographic/stereotype and insulted all of them (leaving no room for the fact that there are people who oppose the local status quo). By all means criticise a political philosophy of a group large or small, but the net you cast was far too wide to be considered a statement of value, regardless of whether I agree with your assertion or not.

Then do a better job of defining the group you're criticising (i.e.: "these other people"), rather than the excessively wide mentioned net you've both cast here.

Back on topic, it is a shame the game got review-bombed, and it would be fairly trivial for Valve/Steam to prevent that regardless of the reasons why. Ignoring this specific issue, review bombing isn't going to go away any time soon (in fact, I think it'll get a lot worse yet). There's always someone offended about something, and mass cause following of angry people with a keyboard is ruining more than just games.

Bigger picture: it also goes to show why aggregate scores like Metacritic don't hold as much value as we might think they do.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  20. OP
    OP
    Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

No I don't. Unlike you I have personal experience with it, and I have many friends in China who know exactly what it's like. This is not analogous to the Stockholm Syndrome, because the people we're discussing (the Chinese trolls), are people who are already deliberately operating outside Chinese law. They use VPNs to get around internet censorship, they roam freely on foreign internet sites and discussion forums, and they are very well aware of alternative views. They are not suffering from Stockholm Syndrome, they're simple nationalists, like nationalists in other countries. And like nationalists in other countries, they've made the choice to be nationalists. If you had personal experience with Chinese people on the other side, this would be more clear to you.

I referred specifically to "Chinese trolls", not "the Chinese" or anything totally generalized. That's not an "excessively wide net". It is well known that Chinese trolls are a blight on the internet (those who are actually hired by the government are called "fifty centers"), just like Russian trolls.

Yes, Steam can and should take steps to prevent this. An inspiring indie developer (who received widespread praise for their previous game), is being unfairly bullied by nationalist trolls.