Diablo II: Resurrected

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by TheWatcher, Feb 20, 2021.

1. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

I really look forward to getting this on switch

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Ok, first up, welcome to retro gaming. Second, prepare yourself for some harsh realities around how old you might feel after this rant.

Diablo II was released in 2000. There are people alive today, old enough to drink and vote right now, who were born *after* this title died down the first time.

Good games are good games. Whether they're old or new often doesn't make a whole lot of difference for the really good ones. Good games can, and in my not very humble opinion, should be enjoyed by more than the generation who were the target market of the game at its initial release.

Imagine telling someone that they can't enjoy the film Alien because they were born after its release. Or telling a 20 year old they can't enjoy a Beatles song because they weren't around when it first came out. Or assuming anyone who does enjoy these things only does so because of nostalgia, and no other redeeming features whatsoever. Now apply all of that to any art form from any era, old or new.

Good art is good art, whether its a traditional format or a modern one. The ability to enjoy good art is timeless. Enjoying old art is entirely possible for the sake of the art itself, regardless of when it was made. Being "old" doesn't necessarily make it "bad by today's standards". That myth is one modern gamers really need to let go of.

Diablo II was, and still is, a good game. There are people who have not only never played it, but never even heard of it, because the video games industry does a really shitty job of celebrating their heritage (and when they do, PCMR is the first to scream at them for "cheap cash ins" instead of celebrating it as a good thing). Re-releasing old titles on modern platforms that make it easy for non-nerds to pick up and enjoy, along with a few quality-of-life enhancements, is a good thing, and the success of this will come from the merit of it being a good game, and not some nostalgic curse.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    demiurge3141, IPfreely, Jaff and 8 others like this.
  3. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

As with what elvis stated, my wife's first Diablo game was D3. This will be a great opportunity for us to both go back and for me to replay it (again) but also share it with her. A positive of this is after we're done, she can go back and watch Carbot's Diablol 2 series and get the jokes.

Deano_20802, qwertylesh and elvis like this.
  4. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

All good points but like C&C remaster, I am sure will be a select few who are pumped for it, play it for few hours and realise its the same game they played to death and got bored of.

I never implied (or meant to anyway) that new players shouldnt experience it.

But its great new people will get to experience it (me included). And will be many diehard fans who then throw thousands of hours into this.

however, I still remain skeptical of anything blizzard publishes now unfortunately.

Unless ive read it wrong this is essentially D2 unchanged with new graphics. Do graphics make a game? A retro gamer would say no. I guess it will be more accessible and popular making finding online games easier. But its not like nobody is playing D2 right now and this is all of a sudden going to make it possible, plenty stream/watch it.

Deano_20802 likes this.
  5. omen_child

omen_child Member

There's a bit more to it, including QoL improvements over the original like shared stash space as one example.

Deano_20802 and walker_2003 like this.
  6. sparz14

sparz14 Member

I put an absolute buttload of hours into d2... its still the best. Running a game in 800x600 resolution on a 1440p monitor just aint enjoyable. I will be happy with solely the graphics improvements

7. PureFire

PureFire Member

Yup. Being able to play at modern refresh rates and resolutions is by itself a great change

Deano_20802 likes this.
  8. elvis

Maybe. There's a handful of games that I replay ever few years and never tire of.

I'd say the potential audience for D2 is enormous in number as well as enormously varied, and trying to pigeon hole them to this sort or that sort is pointless. Lots of people can and will play and enjoy this remake, for lots of different reasons.

This retro gamer says art direction is a big part of a game, and that can mean updated graphics that keep the same style, but offer clearer visuals can help.

For example, Ocarina of Time in Nintendo 64 is an all time classic title. The 3DS remake offers higher resolution models and textures, but still stays authentic to the art direction. The result is the same brilliant game, only with clearer visuals. Not necessarily "prettier" or with " more effects". Just clearer.

Pixel art games can be the same. We're playing the PC classic "Pirates! Gold" in the retro forums this month. It's a visual upgrade on the original "Pirates!", and the resulting graphics keep very well in theme without dramatically changing the game.

No, graphics are not the sole purpose of a game. If they were they wouldn't be games, just graphics demos. But nor does that mean we need to reject graphical changes on dogma alone, especially if they add to the accessibility of the title on new technology (in D2's case, matching the resolutions and aspect ratios of new screens with added clarity, while retaining the classic art direction and design).

9. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I don't think graphics make a game, but I think clear text and playing at native resolution is very important.

Anyone who's used emulators knows that often upping the resolution of old games is all thats needed.

For example I recently played Diablo 1 HD mod to play at native resolution and besides a few outdated mechanics its an amazing game with just that mod.

Deano_20802 likes this.
  10. elvis

One tip for anyone who does want to dabble in old 2D games (as in pixels that can't be scaled like polygons - so even classic Wolf3D and Diablo counts here despite their "3D" presentation), is to try to stick to integer scaling. i.e.: clean whole multiple numbers when upping the resolution.

I know that kind of sucks when you have to scale a 800x600 game to 1600x1200, and you end up with windowed gameplay or black borders all the way around your sexy 1440p screen. But that often still looks miles better than non integer scaling where you end up with either a blurry mess, or weird artifacts as different parts of the game scale at different ratios.

It can also get tricky for anamorphic DOS games that used 320x200 or doublescanned 640x400 but at non-square-pixel 4:3. I recommend integer scaling the height, and bilinear filtering to compensate for the width adjusting differently to maintain 4:3, as human brains are more sensitive to vertical resolution than horizontal resolution (for long and boring biological reasons).

11. pduthie_au

pduthie_au Member

12. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Made me think of this video I saw a while back. A good watch.

elvis and Deano_20802 like this.
  13. Deano_20802

Deano_20802 Member

Exactly the same here. My wife (to be, 9 days!) started with Skyrim, Dragon Age 3, Diablo 3 and Witcher 3. She has since gone on to adore the original version of some of those, but she has a graphical cut off of sorts that means D2 is off her list. We are both rather excited to play D2 with just some basic QoL and visual updates though, the trailer looked good.

I jut wanted to re-share those points, because I couldn't agree more.

Art direction matters so much more than graphics / visual effects alone. I replayed Daggerfall, Diablo 1, Witcher 1, One Must Fall and Lands of Lore 1 last year, along with a few other DOS classics. I loved every minute of it! They all still feel amazing, despite their age.

In the case of D2, although I still enjoy the game and I adore the art style, I did enjoy my last play less because of the graphics - unlike D1, which I also recently replayed. There's not a lot I would change to regain my love for it, just some small tweaks and enhancements. A true remaster and maybe even the 70 / 30 they suggested excites me, unlike a remake that changes the game play and feel.

Yes. The HD mod was the only mod I had on D1 last year and it made the game a lot of fun on a modern monitor!

Great tips! I do a fair bit of retro gaming and I stumbled across that exact advice somewhere (maybe even you) a few years back, worth sharing again.

PsychoSmiley and elvis like this.
  14. Maneki_Neko

Maneki_Neko Member

If you can't fire off screen, teleport to the edge or raise a CPU crushing horde of undead then i'm not interested.

15. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

This looks totally awesome.
    Starcraft 1 remastered was perfect, hope this is the same.
    But shiver me timbers $70 though! That's a bit much for a remake.

Draxonic likes this.
  16. havabeer

havabeer Member

there was a starcraft 1 remaster?

17. power

power Member

yeah flew under the radar (that and it was a few years ago).

https://starcraft.com/en-us/

18. Phalanx

Phalanx Member

Ouch, $70? Definitely not buying day one then, will make sure Blizzard haven't screwed the pooch ala WC3:Reforged.

But it sounds like they've learned their lesson at least and going the SC remaster route. Should be easy anyway, the Diablo 2 mechanics still hold up fine these days, thus why there's so many clones of it, many which are worse at some elements D2 did so well.

19. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

My childhood was D2 LOD, this is definitely on the radar. Here's to hoping POD switch to/support Resurrected assuming it's not a complete shit show*.

*see above/WC3 remake

20. PureFire

PureFire Member

Tomorrow there will be a lot of twitch streamers playing the alpha version. Should be a good watch.

qwertylesh likes this.