Dick Smith phasing out components?

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by the Fan-Man, Jul 1, 2009.

1. the Fan-Man

the Fan-Man Member

ive sort of noticed lately that most dicksmith stores (in perth) are phasing out electronic components. in Perth CBD on monday, i went to both of the DSE's - one on william St near the new underground station and the new one near crazy clarke's. neither of them had any electrical components. i wanted to buy a 10ohm resistor and a few LED's.

then on tues (today) i went up to whitfords to pay for RFLAN prepayments, and the DSE there had no components either :(

now DSE is mostly over priced HP computers. just another harvey norman, what makes it more annoying is the two other premier shops in perth that have electronics. jaycar and altronics; altronics is in the worst location possible, exactly inbetween 2 stations (city west and perth) with no parking at all, and jaycar is almost in MtLawley....

Why Dse? Why?

can anyone from interstate see this happening? :thumbdn:

2. Mjollnir

Mjollnir Member

dick smith has been crappy for components for ages, better off going to Jaycar for stock standard stuff and online for more exotic components.

3. yanman

yanman Member

It's the last stages of the end of an era.

They've now removed DS's face from the logo, and the word "electronics" from the name. It'll just be another home electrical store now for TV's and whitegoods, plus the odd knick knack. Sad, but good to know there are the likes of Jaycar to replace them :)

4. OP
    OP
    the Fan-Man

the Fan-Man Member

yeh u suppose... but now if i ever need components i have to go into the CBD, by train and leg it.

shame

5. fabricator

fabricator Member

Or just mail order from Jaycar/whoever, I've been forced to once because the Adelaide CBD store have really crappy stock levels (eg none) of some random components. Really sucks when you only need three things to fix something and they have none of them.

6. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

I went to buy a Headphone jack (very simple item in my opinion) and the first Dick Smith said they were clearing out that stuff, it would be in the back which they cant get to at the moment because of the renovations and told me to try the other dick smith, which had even less :confused:

Ended up spending my whole lunch break to go up to Jay Car after getting the run around from them

I guess it was bound to happen, the staff there wouldnt know what any of the stuff was anyway,

7. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

go to DSE's sister if you want small electronics knick knacks... Tandy.

8. )(arg0n

)(arg0n Member

yeah dick smith have been phasing out this stuff for a long time, just have to order online i spose, http://au.farnell.com/

I dont even really find what i want at jaycar these days, ordering online is easier anyway :)

9. DJ_Hippster

DJ_Hippster Member

10. Mystro1

Mystro1 Member

HAHA that is a fantastic read...

i wet my self reading that...

11. BigDave

BigDave Member

Poor Dick! :upset:

12. ipex

ipex Member

start collecting broken down equipment and strip down the parts , i've got enough stuff her to last me a lifetime and some , only really need to buy those specialty parts

13. Pugs

Pugs Member

Jaycar or Al/Aztronics for me anyways..usually aztronics as they tend to have more stuff in stock

14. DJ_Hippster

DJ_Hippster Member

haha yeah we all quoted that when it came out as well :lol:

15. puterz_r_4geekz

puterz_r_4geekz Member

You can say goodbye to that soon too.

Yep, DSE are phasing out their 'P,R,Z' lines during the renovations to the new generation store layouts. A shame, but Jaycar has been ahead of DSE in this area for a while now.

16. Danthemanz

Danthemanz Old School Admin

They just (finally) rebuilt my local small shopping centre (now id call it a mall) and i couldnt even believe there was a DSE. Pretty much only selling laptops, TV's and mobile phones!
    Talk about a different business model...
    Open a store anywhere (really i cant see this store making money), no longer stock anything that a real nerd would every buy from us and try and sell over priced consumer goods to older guys who dont have a clue...

Dick, mate what happened!

17. OP
    OP
    the Fan-Man

the Fan-Man Member

yeh i keep a stockpile of dead mobos and PSUs. the psus have nice mosfets and caps, the mobos have the smaller caps ect....

as far as im concerned, tandy stopped selling components 6 or so years ago. the only sort of micro components ive ever seen there was micro speakers, watch batteries and fuzes (....z5500D...grrrr)

without components how can tandy afford to compete? i saw some ink jet printer there for like $120, you can get them at office works WITH INK for like $30

oh and that article: "....And Electronics meant jugs........" nice wording
    XD

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  18. ipex

ipex Member

my local tandy store was pretty crap for part only had one shelf of common stuff like din/rca/power plugs , some speaker wire and antenna cable and a few other mics bits and peices , that section was in the back corner collecting dust
    the rest of the shop was consumer products

now that they have moved the parts have gone and its just phones and gps, and other electronic gizmos, only spare parts are batteries

19. rockofclay

rockofclay Member

It even seems like jaycar are starting to fade.

They seem to be getting in more and more farting statues and usb taco warmers.

20. OP
    OP
    the Fan-Man

the Fan-Man Member

hahaha i was gonna buy the USB missile launcher but ... sorta cbfd it...

i think perth will suffer the most (unless otherwise proven), because the jaycar shop is really small... about the size of.. ~ 2 dining rooms. and altronics never have anything i need in stock, whether it be kits, components or whatever, (my rant on that will continue on my mod post). but they are good always ordering from interstate and posting free of charge :thumbup:

mind you perth only has one altronics and one jaycar :thumbdn:

i want Melbourne!!!!