Did Crytek break Nvidias RTX heart?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Nian, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Nian

Nian Member

So Crytek did something rather mean to Nvidia today.

They made all those RTX cores in the new 2000 series cards somewhat useless. All by the power of software API rendering with DirectX12.

That's right, we have Real Time Ray-tracing coming out in Cryengine 5.5.

See the below video and be in awe that it's running on an AMD RX Vega 56!

tunksy likes this.
  2. dragonFLAME

dragonFLAME Member

For the next gen consoles to be even considered as "next gen" it's has to have raytracing of somesort. Nvidia has forced the crowd and this is AMD's reaction (being in both consoles)

3. OP
    OP
    Nian

Nian Member

Well a Vega 56 is 10.5 tflop, and the PS5 is rumoured to have over 11 tflop. So Yeah, you are correct. The consoles will have Ray-tracing without the need for dedicated hardware. That is unless Crytek is relying on the compute power of Vega, which Navi may not have.

4. mtma

mtma Member

I don't think I could handle the second coming of wet and shiny plastic gaming.

Moarphine likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Nian

Nian Member

Mmm... Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 would do well with it :)

macktheknife and midonnay like this.
  6. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

This is a Cry Engine demo, not AMD.

darkbastard likes this.
  7. dragonFLAME

dragonFLAME Member

dont you think it's a little fishy that they pointed out that it was running on AMD Vega?

8. OP
    OP
    Nian

Nian Member

Crytek are financially hurting. Maybe AMD threw them a bone...

9. broccoli

broccoli Member

Isn't Crytek who made the fancy suits in Crysis game? Is it a real-life company?

10. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

Yes. They made Crysis. Crynet made the suits, though.

11. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

No. They're hardly going to run it on an RTX series card when the entire point is that it is API agnostic RT tech.

Secondly it's logically using compute for the RT reflections - just as any non RTX card would under DX12 DXR API if they (the GPU manufacture) enabled fallback support. Vega 56 is a perfect choice to demonstrate from a performance/$ perspective since its compute capability , and async compute capability for that matter far exceeds equivalent 10xx series Nvidia cards in it's price bracket, which clearly is the second point of the tech demo - To show case that it's achievable on an affordable GPU.. After all there's the Vega 64 and Radeon VII to choose from if they wanted higher performance from AMD

PsychoSmiley likes this.
  12. broccoli

broccoli Member

Thanks. I didn't realise it was an actual company, I thought it was a pretend one in a game :D

13. c4dderly

c4dderly Member

Promoting raytracing is only a positive impact no matter how its implemented. Adoption by gamers will depend on performance improving significantly over the next couple of GPU generations. I played the last half of Metro exodus with Raytracing on as its a SP game, no way would I enable it in MP with current performance.

14. Lord Belial

Lord Belial Member

While that demo is undoubtedly pretty, it's a credit to developers to date how well they've been able to fake lighting. To the point where proper raytracing doesn't look nearly as impressive as it should be.

15. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

I think this is what AMD have been trying to say, you don't 'need' dedicated cores just for raytracing math. Why not just have a lot of powerful cores that can do anything and take a few of those to perform your raytracing as needed.

Suits AMDs GPUs as they have a lot of cores that tend to be under utilised so this could put them to work, make use of the massive compute performance they have.

tunksy and nope like this.
  16. OP
    OP
    Nian

Nian Member

The biggest obstacle to software raytracing is Epic Games, and how deeply they are in bed with Nvidia.

Sipheren likes this.
  17. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

If history has shown anything though, the industry will go with the open, standardized solution that all GPUs can do. So something like this will win out using DXR. RTX will die off pretty quick as it's just NVIDIA, and it's not going to the consoles anytime soon.

18. mtma

mtma Member

Also I don't know if they didn't really put that much into content quality or if they've specifically picked it.

Would be interesting to see how well it would do, if the target content were animals and vegetation for example. Raytracing fir - sounds like a nightmare to me.

19. OP
    OP
    Nian

Nian Member

I doubt we will see ray tracing on matt textures for a while.

20. nope

nope Member

Broke my dick holy shit first time in over 13 years ive seen graphics that made my jaw drop no weird artifacts or noise NOTHING

Moarphine likes this.