Did GFX prices just increase overnight?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Coney, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Deano_20802

Deano_20802 Member

They'll go so very quickly, but it's a great contrast to the Gumtree examples posted on here somewhere (I really CBF looking for them, there's no need).

I'm all for hardware being on sold at a reasonable price, we all need money. At the same time I'm all for helping out the community, which is why I generally give away or heavily discount most used gear instead of parting it out and selling it on here.

Found your next upgrade mate? ;)

Your setup's looking pretty good these days, especially considering time spent gaming.

2. josh_676

josh_676 Member

If it is still profitable I'll be running the hardware until the next model that makes sense comes out, then I'll do a trade up.

I'm making a lot of money selling my Radeon systems now, I wouldn't sell them on OCAU, like you said its important to keep this community the way it is.

3. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

Separate issue, bitcoin moved away from GPU mining years ago because they came out with better custom silicon for it. These GPU's are now mining new coins that have been designed to only work well on GPU's, most of these coins have seen huge price surges that are completely unsustainable and 90% of them are going to crash to nothing pretty soon.

4. Bertross

Bertross Member

haha yeah. I did put in some decent time over the weekend on the witcher 3. :D

5. Deano_20802

Deano_20802 Member

:thumbup:

Haha, nice mate :D

6. josh_676

josh_676 Member

Disagree. Crypto is the future. In five years we will look back and laugh at a 100 billion cap.

Will a lot of coins die? Yes. Will it be a disaster? No.

7. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

My holdings agree with that, Bitcoin will last. The rest of the shitcoins that everyone is jumping onto with these GPU's won't last.

8. leviathan

leviathan Member

9. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

10. Kitler

Kitler Member

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Crypto mining eh? Well, one learns something new every day :p

12. joerandom

joerandom Member

13. BioNiKaL

BioNiKaL Member

"out of stock" can be just as bad for a shop. There's no fear of those cards getting sold though. (MSY has a 1 card per person policy).

Why limit?
    I ordered a new build from them the other day, I wanted the whole lot to come from one place so I'm not paying 2+ lots of shipping... and just generally because its easier to manage.

If they are out of stock, some people would be inclined to close the tab and find another store to order everything.

14. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

someone buying 20-30 on one go would most likely buy only then and leave as would already have the mining rig. With 20-30 unique customers, you have much better chance that they will buy additional items as well. Among other reasons that I'm lazy to list as it's 5pm on Friday and time to go :D

15. joerandom

joerandom Member

Fair enough, makes a bunch of sense.
    But my PC build was 3 locations delivering, PCCG, UMART and EBAY as it worked out cheaper in all. Some places just do a better deal even with extra shipping.

16. disguisey

disguisey Member

Wow, pccasegear is really inflating there GPU prices for the nvidia cards.

$100 price difference between my local store and pccasegear

Everywhere is out of stock, Unless you want a 3GB version.

17. Chamelion

Chamelion Member

I bought a second hand 1070 founders a couple of days before the mining thing was widely reporting to the unwashed masses. I'm selling it now at $100 profit and grabbed myself a second hand 1080 strix for $150 out of pocket. I've managed to go from a 980 to a 1080 for $300. I'm happy enough.

18. duck_boy

duck_boy Member

All mid range cards from nvidia are all dry up. I bought an msi gtx 1060 6gb for $389, that card now wor over $500 lol. I saw an r9 290 tri x on ebay sold for $350 :wired:.
    I should put my 290 tri x up for sale in ebay :lol::lol:.

19. SpicEwEazle

SpicEwEazle Member

Eventually there will be a price correction ( in crypto), but until such time I don't see there being much relief (on GPU prices) until AMD/NVIDIA release a mining card, or increase production.

Really regretting having to pull my bid on a GTX1080 yesterday, don't think sub $600 prices will be around much longer.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  20. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I think there is still a worldwide shortage for the new ATI cards, as people have gone all out and bought em for performance/buck and they are good for mining. Prices for the old 290, 390x have also gone up due to mining.

Same for the 1070.

I know lots of people who purchased 10-16 RX480/580's and the 1070 cards for just mining alone over a month ago before the price boom.