Did GFX prices just increase overnight?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Coney, Jun 20, 2017.

1. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

2. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

Some interesting points, especially the part about gamers will turn to consoles if they can't buy a GPU. If the video card prices do remain high, this could be an issue when Xbox One X comes out. A lot of people might just get that instead.

Also the RMA issue was something I didn't think of as well.

3. elfoam

elfoam Member

I'm surprised anyone games on PC's honestly. I moved away from that a long time ago. You pay for it with a slight reduction in frame rate but the overall experience is more enjoyable on consoles imho. And saves you so much money too.

4. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

I'm surprised anyone would game on Consoles :leet:

That's exactly why you play on console :) Sorry but "slight reduction in frame rate" -> 30fps vs 100fps+ on 144hz/165hz panel is MASSIVE difference. I seriously still can't figure out how can anyone play at "cinematic experience 30fps". I get it feels more fluid on TV compared to running 30fps on Monitor, but still terrible.

Haven't enjoyed gaming on console (had both x360 and ps3 back in the day), only game I've ever enjoyed on it was God of War series.

Hobby is a hobby. someone spend 150k -250k+ on cars as a hobby, someone spend $500 on alcohol at pub over one weekend. Spending 3-5k on PC every 3ish years is relatively cheap hobby :thumbup:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  5. tree86ers

tree86ers Member

wow that is a great budget in theory.. I am lucky to go a year without getting something for the Pc.

http://www.commitstrip.com/en/2012/07/10/cest-lhopital-qui-se-moque/

reminds me of this.

6. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

well, I was referring to initial purchase cost of PC that last for 3 years :tongue: I've skipped the 2 lots of Swift panels, 2 lots of 34" panels, 980Ti, 1080 and 1080Ti, Vive, and few other small bits and bobs...but you know they were all well justified purchases :D

7. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'm not sure that consoles and pc gaming are really the same market. Most console gamers are happy with what they have, and aren't likely to build some beasty gaming machine when they can pick up a brand new console for 1/4 the price of a half decent gaming PC. Conversely, I don't know any PC gamers who would even consider downgrading to a console.

There are plenty of cards which are good gamers but aren't great for mining. if there is a shortage of something, a PC gamer can pick up a cheap secondhand card until stock becomes available, use a card they already own, or buy a card that isn't in such high demand. I personally believe they are likely to choose one of those options before feeling forced to downgrade to a console.

8. power

power Member

I'm shocked people can limit themselves so severely, I game on PC, PS4, PS3, PS2, XB1, 360, Wii, WiiU, Saturn, Dreamcast and more - why? I follow the gameses.

You pay out the ass to have so many devices but it's worth it if you love one thing - games.

9. tree86ers

tree86ers Member

totally justified :D monitors are next on my list of updates, just cannot justify spending a grand on a monitor right now (i have 3 x 1080p so i know i would want all 3 to be the same for an upgrade)

agreed, most PC gamers tend to use consoles for platform locked games. from what i have seen/read it is more likely for a console gamer to come to PC for the flexibility.

as for the availability depends on how the build is planned. a good chunk of people i know don't full upgrades. it is either Mobo, CPU and ram or GPU. unless they have saved for ages very few go all out and get everything at one (unless new to PC)

10. power

power Member

that's it eh, I rarely touch a multiplat on console - exclusives all the way on mah consoles. With Steam streaming couch gaming is alive and well for PC gamers too. Just so good - the biggest problem I have? I really need to update my HDMI switching as I'm currently sharing a cable between my PS3/PS4/XB1/WiiU/360. :)

11. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

You could also say a lot of PC gamers are happy with what they got. Look at my CPU, it's 5 years old now and it's kinda hard for me to upgrade since I would need a whole new system.

You say console gamers are happy with what they have, sure but if graphics cards prices keep increasing you have to look at the competition. The Xbox One X is a pretty strong machine and is priced cheaper than a 1070.

12. king3o0o

king3o0o Member

how much is my r9 290 worth now ?

might be time for an upgrade ? hahaha

reading all this prices. fair to assume the average increase in "margins" are around $100. i dont follow these prices so i just want to know i am not falling into traps

13. im late

im late Member

You will know EXACTLY how much your GPU is worth in the current OCAU market...

How?

Put and ad up from $100.00 res plus post. See how far it goes and sell it there.

A broken one just sold for $55 pp........

14. elfoam

elfoam Member

You don't want to know how many gaming machines I have because you'll look rank amateur at best lol but PC.. I'm skipping that.

15. elfoam

elfoam Member

Most quality games on PS4 do 60 frames, it's fine for me. It's just a 300 dollar pc in a box and does pretty much everything you need from a device, I'm certainly happy with it. With PC's I'm more into just messing with servers and general computing. I come from a history with the underground Amiga scene so to me PC's were always poverty machines weird kids owned and yep they came a long way once people started jamming gpu's in them and I bought one as soon as the 3dfx was released but they are still... you know they just aren't quite right. Even now 30 years later nothing works quite as well as it should. They can be fun but like I'm never going to use windows on one long term because it just doesn't do proper computer stuff. But I still play games once in a while so for that it's better to just lay down the 300 on a ps4 for me, even on the ps4 90% of the time it's getting used for non gaming purposes, the ps2 and dreamcast were the last really good gaming machines in a pure sense we might never seen such machines again at this point. Right now I'm just running a Xeon L5430 in a 50 dollar ex government deskop on Linux :p, this is my usual thing.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  16. power

power Member

ignorance through obscurity??

PC is the biggest and best gaming platform bar none that has grown so far from it's rich man, crap games roots of the late 80's and early 90's when it was a footnote in the back of gaming mags that people laughed at - this isn't even a debate, it's a fact.

The modern console knocks previous gens for six in terms of what they can do, the sheer size, scale and depth of modern gaming really does make the poor old PS2 and DC look like kids toys by comparison - we are now playing the games that developers could only dream of. This is coming from someone with a self confessed passion for those machines.

I follow the games, they take me to the hw not the other way around. So you've got an old shitter? that's your choice or circumstance and all I can say is this - you are missing out and if you care or not is completely irrelevant the platform stands strong as the pinnacle of gaming with no equal.

something something, goddam miners taking all the GPU's.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  17. elfoam

elfoam Member

Games might look different but there's very very few good ones. Other than GTA 5 I don't believe there's a game that's been released in the last 5 years that is in the top 50 of all time. You can buy a lot of hardware and benchmark yourself to happiness but it's all a bit pointless as far as playing a quality game goes. I will admit I just put a gpu 20 minutes ago in the machine I'm on now but it's a rack server and needed something done because it was almost unusable in a desktop :d. For this purpose, great!. For games.... it's not really what games are about. I mean The Sentinel, still the greatest 3d game of all time right? most would agree and that runs at like 1 frame a second.

18. havabeer

havabeer Member

Witcher 3 is an excellent game in both game play and visuals, especially when you step it up to 4k. Well within the top10 games ever on most people's lists who've played it

19. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

LOL.... $4000 for a 486 back in the day (late 80's) with a whopping 40mb hdd....thats like the equivalent of $8000 now factoring in general price inflation / cpi
    http://www.in2013dollars.com/1989-AUD-in-2017?amount=4000

...this in the age where assignments were mostly handwritten and having access to a printer with word processing software was a luxury. :lol:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  20. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Have never read so much bs in one post.