Did GFX prices just increase overnight?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Coney, Jun 20, 2017.

1. congoh

congoh Member

I'm a consistent gamer but not hard core and I'm doing this. I was going to upgrade my gfx card (HD7970) but I was waiting to see Vega then mining boom hit and I'm unwilling to pay the inflated prices (curse these miners!!!!). I'm looking at using AIO cooler to watercool my card to squeeze more from my current card and even looking at X-fire with a spare card I have (it's missing cooler).

I'm buying a 2nd hand XB1 (it was cheap from the forums). Obviously it's a downgrade/sidegrade but I was going to do this anyway eventually and I tend to buy games when they hit budget/sales prices so it's a ok move for me. Obviously I won't be able to play latest "in" games but most worthwhile/playable games are timeless so you're not really missing out that much.

I'm not a console gamer (I've been exclusively PC gamer) so this is a new thing for me but given current prices of gfx, I think it's a reasonable move.

PS. I'm praying for mining crash so it will solve the gfx card supply problem not to mention flood of cheap 2nd hand gfx card.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  2. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

I was looking at the Ethereum Price and it's starting to come down now.

https://ethereumprice.org/

I'm not sure how low it has to get before it doesn't become worth it to mine (power usage to ethereum mined), but hopefully it keeps going down.

3. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Probably pretty low - people are mining speculatively, in the hope that it will be worth more later.

4. congoh

congoh Member

I want a spectacular crash, not a slow gradual decline. I want a massive exodus and create a 2nd hand gfx card nirvana.

Let's hope greedy power company will knock some sense into these people ASAP :lol:.

5. Razor-47

Razor-47 Member

I am sorely tempted to sell my 1070 and hold onto the money to grab something more powerful down the line. The only catch, I'll then be unable to game on PC. And considering that over 50% of my titles are on PC...

6. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Nice sig rig btw. For me personally I only upgrade when there is more than a few games that I can't play on my existing setup. This gives me the incentive and urge to upgrade to something better. I also don't upgrade from generation release to release, plain waste of money and its value depreciates months over before the next release.

7. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

igpu ftw!!! :lol: (but dont sell the 9600xt :lol:)

quite some time before 2070 comes out... (but who knows?) - presumeably a volta derivative?

cards will only depreciate over time...but these days perhaps not by much...

i think my old gtx480 is starting to rust in its old tower case - anyone want it? ...but no i wouldnt even give that one away.

8. Razor-47

Razor-47 Member

I was wondering when someone would comment on that. :lol:

It was the first system I ever built by myself. I keep the sig for nostalgia purposes.

There is nothing that my current rig won't play, it's probably more power than I actually need (I game at 1080p60Hz). I've always considered getting a high refresh rate monitor but it'd be completely wasted on me right now as I don't game on a monitor much these days.

9. AERO

AERO Member

ive considered selling my 1060 for more than i bought it for and put it towards getting a 1080. ive only just considered looking into eth, all seems complicated to me

10. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

ive still got a socket A mobo in its box...:D
    http://www.dansdata.com/a7a266.htm
    1.2GHz Athlon with DDR..what a beast! my first build...
    im still on 1080p...looking at a higher res...no idea what im doing yet. be another 4 months to save for the next pc thing.

just looking at 1440p
    4k is a big ask for grfx cards...nv 1080 doesnt quite cut the 4k mustard. but 1440p is quite a good res improvement.

11. qwijibo

qwijibo Member

I've just started mucking around with it, and my 1070 makes about $4/day. I'd guess it costs about $1-2/day in electricity for the entire system, so if it drops by half, it becomes tenuous.

Of course, if you have cheap electricity, or running 6 cards per rig (less power overhead), then you have more runway.

It might also take less than that - part of the profit calc the miners use, is how much they can recoup by flipping the cards on ebay. So if it starts to approach break even, and some miners start ditching cards on ebay, resale profit gets skewered, and more might start dumping, to take what they can get.

12. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

like any commodity..they need to sucker in as many people as possible to increase the market value of derpcoins
    but hey if u can make money out if it why not. roi has to cover the expense of the extra grfx card/s before any profit is realised

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  13. Sledge

Sledge Member

14. thecondor

thecondor Member

15. josh_676

josh_676 Member

Lose the hate.

16. congoh

congoh Member

No guarantee of that. Like the article stated, people are moving on to other crypto currencies and they may use current hardware to mine them. Most logical thing for people to do is to mine currency that will work best with their current hardware so it's possible this gfx card drought will continue for another 2-5 months before enough people bail out (or market correction forces them out).

17. kabab

kabab Member

I just want to play Pubg with decent frame rates :(

18. SpicEwEazle

SpicEwEazle Member

Jesus, even 1080s have had a cost increase.

19. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Not as much as the RX cards. Been wanting to get an rx 480 or 580 for the htpc but not willing to pay for current prices compared to 4-5 months ago.

20. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

evga 1080 hybrid just increased by 30 usd @amazon
    who cares im only running an igpu atm. :lol: