Did GFX prices just increase overnight?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Coney, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Depends on how you look at it. Lots of forums (high end audio) ban and prohibit people flipping off items for a profit. For example somebody buys X product from seller for $450, list it on the same site a week later for $600. Ethically not a right thing to do.

Or you're given a review item for free, then you flip it off for $500 a month later after the review (generally this breaks NDA contracts as well), people do it and do eventually get caught doing it.

I have no respect for people who flip things off via any of the methods above.

2. Filipino_Rambo_

Filipino_Rambo_ Member

I've noticed used 1070's are getting decent prices and was wondering if it's worth upgrading to a 1080?

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Just a fact of every trading place. I don't really have an issue with de-promoting this activity.

4. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

looks like more supply in the states to me.
    about a 100AUD cheaper rate on high end nv cards...at newegg for example, inclusive of shipping

5. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

You are quoting some pretty specific examples. Every business in this country that sells a product bought it cheaper elsewhere and sells it at a profit.

I'm not arguing your examples, nor did I in my first post. I'm simply saying that buying stuff cheap and 'flipping' it for a profit is how the world works.

6. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

No need for the life lessons as I'am aware of how supply and demand and supply chain economics work, my post specifically targets some of the users here doing exactly what I mentioned above but flipping it off ebay, from what I also know is not allowed on these boards according to Ma.

7. congoh

congoh Member

That's not quite correct. Restriction is only on selling not buying.

I believe this restriction was introduced to protect OCAU sponsors and to keep things civil. I've been a member long enough to have seen OCAU members who were active on multiple boards who bought 2nd hand goods on other boards and sold here for profit. Most of those people are gone but it did cause quite a bit of friction because people were aware of it being done.

It's difficult to police because we do have higher no. of people who upgrade frequently or have multiple machines than your "average" pc user.

Back on topic:

Looks like people are starting to divest their hardware. Even today we're seeing multiple gfx cards, especially those desired by miners, being advertised on sales forum.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  8. power

power Member

for the lulz

[​IMG]

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Well it would be pretty hard to stop people buying lots of stuff, that would be limiting demand and not a good thing really.

10. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

11. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Yikes bad timing. Just when the current round of mining is coming off the boil.

These cards were $350 with display output or so before the rise, and competing with used cards coming into the market is going to cause some pain.

12. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Hehe thats pretty neat

13. mitsimonsta

mitsimonsta Member

I saw it and posted to FB on Friday, much lulz.

The issue we have right now is there is still demand from gamers to buy cards - plenty of people want RX580's for gaming to match with their new FreeSync-enabled monitors. The question is if they will buy new or go for the secondhand market.

The cyrpto-markets probably need another 10% fall to really have the viability of mining to become line-ball. With that you will see either altcoins being mined and pushed up in difficulty levels, or people will liquidate the rigs. Upon liquidation of rigs, retail demand should pretty much collapse overnight.

I expect to see a big jump in Monero mining with Cryptonight as the hashing algo which cannot be done on ASICs.

14. Pemalite

Pemalite Member

Can you crossfire those mining cards with a normal GPU? They are just normal cards without display outputs, right?

15. kabab

kabab Member

I think the market will let out..

Stock seems to be coming back in people are selling 2nd hand already prices are going down and the dedicated cards are out..

I'd hate to be sitting on a shit load of cards right now..

16. congoh

congoh Member

Hence why you see people unloading 30+ cards in sales forum.

17. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

"mining edition" ffs...wow they must have access to a lot of cards to offer them in lots of 20 :D

18. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

I wouldnt be surprised if those mining edition ones were gpus with failed video out stages or something, its basically free money for them. I cant imagine not adding outputs would save them much money

19. Xenon

Xenon -----

Don't really see much of the brand these days.

I still have bad memories of my ownership of the Zotac GTX280. Gave up on the brand after the 3rd RMA of the device and purchased an Asus.

Don't think miners would buy these anyway as their resale value to normal consumers would be 0. You can't SLI a 1060 so little else you could do with it besides mine. I don't see the point of using as a Physx card either.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  20. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

On the other hand I'm seeing a lot of busted 7950, 7970, R9 280-290X cards on ebay, more so than the usual amount I see and I'm on ebay everyday.

Safe to say this can be due to the recent influx of people attempting to mine a bit because of the recent Ethereum hype?