Did the sky mimic the sand or the sand mimic the sky?

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by TwinII, Jan 16, 2013.

1. TwinII

TwinII Member

Hi all,

I shot this at Sunshine Beach near Noosa last week. Spiel I wrote on Flickr is

'This photo was taken at sunset at Sunshine Beach on Queensland's Sunshine Coast. My wife and I had been walking through Noosa National Park and we had turned around to head home. I had kept an eye on the sky all day (as most photographers do) and I saw there was potential for an interesting pattern in the sky at sunset. When I saw getting better I immediately thought of this little stream which flowed through to the sea which we had passed on Sunshine Beach. I started walking faster and then ran down the large amount of stairs onto Sunshine Beach to make sure I didn't miss the shot. As it turned out this pattern stayed around for a while. '

[​IMG]

C&C Welcome!

Martin

2. bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

Fantastic. Bonus points for being in portrait, its not done enough in landscape photography.

3. OP
    OP
    TwinII

TwinII Member

It's funny because I seem to be taking a lot more images in portrait orientation these days.....sometimes I just can't get a good composition unless it is panoramic or portrait.

4. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

Nice, I like it :thumbup:, did you end up getting those clouds light up from the sunset at all?

5. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Sensational shot - handheld?

6. OP
    OP
    TwinII

TwinII Member

No they pretty much stayed the way they were. There was a bit too much cloud on the horizon for them to pinken or orange up

Nah I shot with a tripod.

7. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

Agreed.. but composition is so damn hard!

Nice shot twinII :thumbup:

8. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Nice man - lovely, not too saturated like a lot of the stuff I see in nature shots nowadays.

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Not too bad at all, although I might have preferred it in landscape mode : )

10. steveobhave

steveobhave Member

It's a nice shot, I can't really see any other way around the composition - I've been looking at it to see if you can justify any particular layout that sits more in thirds but with the balance between the sky and the sand the only think that you could've tried different was complete symmetry i.e. the horizon dead centre and the stream running into the centre of the frame. Lovely colours and a really interesting sky. Nice work.

11. OP
    OP
    TwinII

TwinII Member

Thanks. I do have a few other compositions (including landscape) and I felt this one (along with one other) were my favourite.