1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

diff between airport express and extreme

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by qingtian, Mar 18, 2013.

1. qingtian

qingtian Member

I cant really discern the diff. from the apple site.

Does anyone who has either one of these know the difference?

I am eager to also understand whether I can stream what is directly on my monitor (inc. the audio output) from my iMac to my tv (i have wireless enabled on my tv).

2. Jimboberella

Jimboberella Member

Airport extreme is a router and has LAN 4 ports (1wan) as well as dual band wifi
    Airport express is a wireless access point and has 3 lan ports

To stream you will need third party airplay enabled software or an AppleTV, or just skip apple and use a media server like Plex

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  3. Renza

Renza Member

The airport extreme allows you to attach a hard drive for network storage. It also has more ethernet ports (4 on the extreme, 2 on the express (new model, older models only have one), gigabit on the extreme, but 100mbps on the express.

The express allows you to stream audio from apple devices and itunes on windows - no video (you need an apple tv for that). The extreme doesn't do any kind of streaming at all.

not sure of the radio config on the express, but the extreme is likely to be faster if you need high bandwidth (and not capped at 100mbps)

4. moronx

moronx Member

5. ddk

ddk (Banned or Deleted)

What an apt nick.

6. nexx

nexx Member

If you want to stream the video (and audio) from your Mac to your TV, you need an Apple TV. The type of router does not matter.

If you only want to stream audio from your Mac to some speakers, then you can use the Airport Express. It supports Airplay and has built-in a 3.5mm audio jack.