1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Digital media for Canon 300d (Digital Rebel)

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Ashpool, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Ashpool

Ashpool Member

Ok I have ordered my Canon 300d (Digital Rebel).

What media do you guys reccomend. IE What compact flash brand.

I am currently looking at a 1g Trancend 45x card.

What are your opinions/ideas? etc

2. gatecrasher

gatecrasher Member

I have nothing to add to this thread, except to state that i am insanely jealous of your new purchase. These cameras are sexy work.

I have heard good things about the 1gig IBM Microdrives, but I dont know the costs associated with these.

Good luck with your new camera, and we will expect to see some photos in the Photography Appreciation Thread very soon :)

3. Trojan

Trojan Member

I would stay away from Microdrives for reliability and speed reasons.
    I currently use the Transcend 256Mb CF in my G1 (yes G1) and have had no problems with it.
    From what I read, Transcend products are very good.

4. Admiral

Admiral Member

Yes, there is absolutely NO reason to use Microdrives these days. Compact Flash is faster and a million times more durable and reliable.

The card you mentioned will be perfect for the 10D, although you may want to consider getting two 512 cards instead. Putting all your eggs in one basket isn't such a good idea.

Hope you enjoy the new camera!

Edit: Which lens are you getting with the camera?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2003
  5. OP
    OP
    Ashpool

Ashpool Member

two 512 cards are about 10-20 dollars more than 1 1 gig so it is probably the way to go. I am just getting the standard EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. But am considering a few additional purchaces.

I am keen on a telephoto zoom but havent really got my heart set on anything yet. This will be my first forey into the realms of digital so I am guessing it will take a little for me to get used to.

Up until now I have been using my trust old minolta SLR with a basic 50mm as well as a 200mm Zoom. Still takes a good picture.

6. crudmuffin

crudmuffin Member

You too, eh? I'm waiting on my 300D as we speak (first week of October, apparently).

I'm looking at getting a single 512Mb card to start with, and if I find I'm filling it faster than expected, I'll spend a bit of money on an X's drive II, rather than another CF card.

As for the brand of card... not sure, really. Probably whatever my local computer store have :D

And lenses? Will be sticking with the EF-S 18-55mm, but wouldn't mind a ~200mm zoom lense... going to see how I go in the SLR world first. I'm upgrading from a digital P&S, but having used my old mans film SLR in the past, when I saw the 300D I couldn't resist! Really hanging out to get my hands on it and start having more fun taking photos.

Ross

7. OP
    OP
    Ashpool

Ashpool Member

Admiral. What is your opinion of the lens's available. There seems to be a big price difference between a 200mm and another.

What does everyone thing of sigma lens's?

With the Canon what is a non USM lens? Image stabilizer?

I get the feeling a EF 75-300 with Image Stabilizer would be nice.(999 RRP)

8. Admiral

Admiral Member

With the Canon lenses, anything that seems too cheap probably is, with the exception of the 50mm f/1.8 which is exceptional. There are a lot of plasticy cheap lenses which will most likely show their faults more on a digital than a film camera.

Sigma also have a good amount of absolute Lemons. Do a fair bit of research on consumer opinions before purchasing a Sigma lens to find out if it's one of the ones they've managed to really nail. The 15-30, 50-500 (at the long end) and the 70-200 f/2.8 are quite highly regarded, especially for the price.

USM = Ultrasonic Motor. This brings a much faster focusing speed, and in some lenses it's near silent. Some of the too cheap lenses with USM use a cheap USM type and isn't as fast or quiet as the more pricey ones however.

IS = Image Stabilisation. Brilliant on the longer lenses, it really noticeably reduces the shake caused by handholding long lenses. It enables you to use a much lower shutterspeed than you could normally get away with, and as such is also really good in low light situations at any focal length.

And the 75-300 USM IS is pretty good, but not so hot at the long end.

9. Trojan

Trojan Member

Admiral (since u are a lens expert)
    I'm considering a D300 as well and wondering how to compensate for different focal lengths in the digital camera.
    I'm assuming the default 18-55mm EFS is equiv to 28-90mm in a normal SLR.
    So if I wanted to buy a telephoto EF lens, does that mean I should buy one greater than 55mm or 90mm (assuming I want no overlap)
    Thanks in advance.

10. Snufkin

Snufkin Member

A 20GB Vosonic XS drive is around $400, much better value than a microdrive (although not quite as small)

I'm thinking of getting a 300D for my dad, does anyone have confirmed prices or just approximate rrps?

11. OP
    OP
    Ashpool

Ashpool Member

12. OP
    OP
    Ashpool

Ashpool Member

13. Admiral

Admiral Member

Just stick with either the "real" 35mm length or the converted length when buying. If you get the 18-55, then anything above 55 will ensure you don't have any range overlap. It's not really too much of an issue though, just look for the lenses that give you the range you need.

I've got coverage from 15mm to 200mm in four different lenses and there is plenty of overlap, but they all serve different purposes.

14. Trojan

Trojan Member

Thanks Admiral,
    Going overseas end of Oct, considering the 300D duty free from centre.net.au ... mmm ... $1544.55

15. Impulse IX

Impulse IX Member

I would go with 2x256Mb CFs with a digital wallet for storage. Ridata or Sandisk seem to be the choice brands atm.

I have a 10D and a D30, with 2x256s, 1x128 CF cards and a 20Gb X-Drive. This combo is great and has served me well when out shooting days on end.

With the Canon DSLRs there is a 1.6x multiplier that must be applied to the lens size due to the sensor being smaller than 35mm film. So a 50mm lens on a DSLR = 80mm. Which is great if you wish to shoot things far away as you get the bonus zoom, but not that great if you need wide angles.

The 75-300 USM IS is a nice lens, but have heard the same thing from others that isn't that flash at the upper end. I have a Sigma 170-500mm that I use a fair bit, which is probably usable 170-450mm as the last 50mm is just too soft.

Overlap is fine when buying lenses and all of my lenses overlap another lens.

Also when you get your lenses, get a skylight for them also. It is a filter that screws into the front of the lens and protects the lens from scratches, dirt, fingers and flying rocks. It is cheaper to replace a skylight than the whole lens!

16. petal666

petal666 Member

I got a Sigma 100-300 f4 last week for my 10D. Very nice lens although it is pretty heavy. The optics on this lens are excellent, better than any canon 300mm zoom (maybe not the 300 f4L but that is a prime and not a zoom). I need to work with it a bit to work out how to get consistantly sharp photos with it. Some are amazing and some are a bit soft. That is probably my technique and not the lens.

I imported it from the US for about $1450.

17. bigmaxy

bigmaxy Member

I could/probably am wrong, but I thought that the 1.6x multiplier
    was almost like an equivalent field of vision thing rather than
    magnification.
    ie a 100mm lens would have the same field of vision as a 160mm
    lens, but not necessarily the same magnification as a 160mm lens.

Some clarification would be nice, anyone know..

Cheers
    Maxy :D

p.s. I can't wait till the 300D is released in Aus.
    Have people been checking out
    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1031

They seem to be a very active 300d forum.

18. OP
    OP
    Ashpool

Ashpool Member

Do you think anyone is crazy enough to try and load the 10d firmware into a 300d. Just wondering

19. bigmaxy

bigmaxy Member

There has been quite a bit of discussion about this also.
    The general consensus is that it won't work, I reckon it won't
    be long before someone tries though.

People seemed to think that the firmware updates are usually
    patches rather than complete reinstall's so even if it did take
    the upgrade the additional functionality wouldn't be present.

Where did you order from? www.centre.com.au has a good
    price but is a grey import without an Australian Warranty, they
    are covering the camera for you though (so I've read).
    www.dirtcheapcameras.com.au also have a pretty good price
    though I don't know if they have finalised their price yet.

Enjoy, I think if I get one, it might unleash my creative side....:D

Maxy

20. OP
    OP
    Ashpool

Ashpool Member