1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Digital Photographers - portable storage.

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by FranchiseJuan, Sep 18, 2003.

1. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

I am going on holidays next week (yay!) for a month, and knowing me I will be taking alot of photos. Now I am not too crash hot on the idea of lugging my notebook half way around the world and so was looking for a portable storage divice that is small and that I can download the contents of my compact flash cards onto.

The only ones that I have found for sale in Australia at a reasonable price is the X-drive here. Have any of you had any experience with these devices? How long does the battery last for in the field in real usage? Are they reliable? Are they robust?

Also if anyone can suggest a place in Melbourne that I can go and purchase one of these or something similar then that would be fantastic.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2003
  2. boky

boky RIP - gone but not forgotten

3. f@rmboy

f@rmboy Terrorist Photographer

I have an X-Drive II and it hasn't failed me yet. Running on batteries I can get 2 full 1GB CF cards copied. If you have power where you are going then you're set.

4. OP
    OP
    FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

Cool man the power in numbers place is really good. And that Digital Data player is REALLY good, but they don't have one in stock, and so that is bad....... I Think I will pop over there today to have a look at the x-drive 2 and maybe get a spare battery with it.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2003
  5. ConundruM

ConundruM Member

thanks for this info...im going to UK/Europe for 6-12mths and was wondering wtf to do with all my photos.

that Digital Data player does look very nice...anyone have one ?

I would like to also play mp3's...if only ipod had a CF reader :)

6. OP
    OP
    FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

I went there today and they were really helpful. They said that the Digital Media Player will probably be in next week some time, but with having to leave early next week, I could not wait, so I got a 30 gig X-Drive 2. It is good so far. Tried some transfurs and also some PC use. It was good and really fast when used as a USB storage device....

Last edited: Sep 19, 2003
  7. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

I own an X'S-Drive II with a 40GB HDD in it. I took it with me on my holiday and shot 8GB worth of pictures! (That's in RAW format, not JPG). Having the unit around definitely changed my photo taking habits. I had a 512MB CF card, a 340MB Microdrive, 3 camera batteries, and the X'S-Drive. The world is your photographic oyster!

On my heaviest shooting day, I emptied my CF card into it 3 times, and the battery meter didn't budge at all. I have not tested how long the unit would last, as I made sure I charged it every night when I got home.

Downsides? There is no assurance that your images have been safely transferred across. The only feedback you get is a little "beep" and the transfer light goes off. The first time I erased my CF card there was a definite lump in my throat as I was not sure if it went across safely. It did.

When I get enough money, I will buy an image tank with a built-in LCD screen. The extra reassurance is worth it IMHO. Not to mention being able to look through your shots while you are still on holiday without having to wait till you get back home.

8. Nephilim

Nephilim Member

I wish I had know about that power in numbers place last year.
    I went on a 2 month trip around Europe, UK and HK. Bought a Nikon CP4500 and a Minds@work Mindstor with 20gb HDD. Damn thing failed only 2 1/2 weeks into the trip, by the time I got back to Sydney, I found out the company had dissolved and there's nothing I can do about it.

I opened it up, and found that it is only a loose connections, but the device still only works occasionally. Damn waste of $500.

9. OP
    OP
    FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

The way I figure it is that the LCDs on the units are usually small, and so not really useful in the field and when you get back to the Hotel, there is usally a TV and so something without the LCD, but with TV out would be the best solution (not to mention tbat the lack of an full colur LCD makes it less easy to breake, and the battery would last longer).

On the other hand if the unit only had a few function, then there are less things that can go wrong with it, so it is kind of a trade off with features vs reliability....

Well I only have a lowly Canon A70 at the moment (still a noob), so I guess this trip will be an education in more ways then one. One thing is that I think the movie mode will get more of a workout then if I had not had the X-drive.

10. ConundruM

ConundruM Member

for travelling overseas, do netcafe's have a problem with you plugging things like digital cameras and portable storage devices into their PC's ?

anyone used such devices in UK/Europe netcafes ?

slightly off topic...But I'm wondering how im gunna email pics and stuff to those that want it when im OS.

11. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Slight problem with that idea. The computer which you are downloading pictures to needs to have a TWAIN driver installed. One way around that is to use your X'S-Drive as a portable CF reader and plug that into the computer. It must have XP installed though! (You need to install drivers for Win98 to recognize portable storage).

12. ConundruM

ConundruM Member

most portable storage devices that i've seen (usb ipod, a few different digital cameras, usb memory key thingos, etc) have plugged in and worked without drivers on win2000 and above....which i'd say the netcafes would be running ??

but yeah win95/98 would need drivers.
    anyone used such things OS in netcafes ?

worst case scenario is I get them burnt to a CD from photo places

13. OP
    OP
    FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

I don't know that you can assume that netcafes are running Win2K and above. Just look at the number of netcafes in Australia that are running Win98.

14. Bain

Bain Member

You can.. but the places you have to goto cost a little more.
    Also some of the cafe's still do use windows 98. A Majority though are using WinXP (the ones we went to)

We did this with my Camera when i left my laptop in the hotel a few times.

This was for Singapore, Italy and France...

Cheers,
    Bain0

Last edited: Sep 24, 2003
  15. ConundruM

ConundruM Member

thanks bain !
    and you used your camera on their machines ?

16. OP
    OP
    FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

Well Guys I am leaving in about an Hour for the airport, so I will report back my experiences with the X'S-Drive 2 in about a month.

17. justakid

justakid Member

18. clonex

clonex Member

19. justakid

justakid Member

that seems to be a kool one.. main advantage - speed of transfer - "a 512MB card transfers in about 4.5 minutes, a data rate of about 1.9 MB/sec."

so much better than 400KB/sec.

wonder how much it costs - not taht i need it.. my 3mp dsc5 runs outta batteries before i fill up the 128MB stick.

20. powella

powella Member

FWIW the tripper can be bought at Mittoni.com.au