1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Digital Picture Frame

Discussion in 'Modding' started by browca04, Jun 11, 2006.

1. OP
    OP
    browca04

browca04 (Banned or Deleted)

As am I. Emailed the tech guys in Melbourne to see if we have any old laptops lying around that I can have. Still waiting for them to get back to me....

Nuxie, are you leaving the KB on the front, or are you going to have a sliding drawer. I'm considering doing this, although there's going to be two USB ports that are externally accessible, so I can plug in a KB/Mouse to set it up. Of course, the idea was to have it ready to go before fucking shit up (Read: Taking it apart)......

2. dillusional

dillusional Member

Kill the explorer.exe process. This is the Windows shell

3. OP
    OP
    browca04

I like your way of thinking.....

4. nux

nux Member

Im still deciding how to set it up. I'll probably remove the keyboard (it still works with the ribbon unplugged) and maybe just have the touchpad mounted on the back/top/side or somewhere.

It was a bit of a pain stripping it down. I have about 30 different sized Torx screws (all T9) next to me. The keyboard and touchpad ribbon connectors needed a lot of care to unplug without ruining the connector, same with the LCD and inverter cables. I had to cut through some plastic to release those cables, and nearly cut the LCD cable in my haste :eek:

I might have the main body as the stand, and have the LCD mounted halfway along standing vertical. There are also some neat features I've found like a little microswitch that turns off the screen when the case is closed, that I can turn into an On/Off switch to easily turn off the display. And all the mouse buttons are tactile switches, as well as a few special function ones which I can probably solder onto and bring out to near the panel and hopefully set them up to do things like skip pictures and stuff.

I'll be aiming for it to have a few modes, first as a DPF, also an email/website monitor and then as a little 'internet kiosk' using a small USB keyboard.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  5. OP
    OP
    browca04

Looks like I might be able to get a Compaq Evo N610 to cannabalise for this project. And all it's costing me is a carton of beer.... Anyone know of a bottle shop in/near the Melbourne CBD that can deliver?

6. nux

nux Member

OK I've ripped the laptop totally apart. I've been playing around with DSL and Vector Linux, I might go with DSL as its much smaller and runs faster out of the box.

I have it booting DSL now, and just trying to work out how to get Java working on it. I have a VNC Server running on it automatically at boot now so I can control it remotely.

Now I've got to find something to mount it in. Ideally something I can easily move around and reposition as I'm thinking of having it on my desk to display pictures, schematics and other things.

EDIT: I've also just turned the CPU voltage down from the default 2.25V to 1.8V. Bless little tiny DIP Switches. The CPU temperature doesnt seem to be getting above 32 degrees (using my IR thermometer) whereas before it was in the 50's. And that is without any heatsink.

PICTURES:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  7. OP
    OP
    browca04

Just to let you lads know, I managed to find an unwanted Compaq N610C lappy at work, which has just been stripped. I'll be headed to bunnings for a Dremel, and some aluminium and bits and bobs on saturday. I'll make sure I take some photos, and do a mini work log and everything. Unfortunately some of the screws are a bit comfy in their locations (Especially the two miniscute screws under the key board) and are refusing to leave their metal prisons. So it looks like the laptop won't get stripped to the extent I wanted to, but I'm hoping everything will all work out. If it DOES go pear shaped, I still might be able to get another one...... : /

8. Namheul

Namheul Member

This looks awesome!

Can i make a suggestion, that if you are using windows, why not simply eliminate Explorer alltogether, and use your photo software as the shell? Save a lot of loading time probably.