1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

digital signage

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by tuRtlez, May 14, 2018.

1. tuRtlez

tuRtlez Member

hi all,

i'm looking at setting up digital signage for a small cafe that will have the menu displayed on 3 tv's

each tv will be running a different slide. was thinking of running 3 x raspberry pi for each display. the menu will not be updated frequently - was thinking of just running them as a pdf/ppt file on full screen and just remotely updating them if necessary

does anyone have experience in this area?

cheers

2. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

3. domsmith

domsmith Member

Screenly OSE http://www.screenly.io/

The OSE version will get you started.

If your running digital signage make sure you have spares Pi’s/SD cards with software ready to go. Disable the wireless and change the default logins.

Have a graphics designer design a professional looking template which you can easily update.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  4. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

There is a reason even after 30+ years of this tech that most cafe's and restaurants still use chalk boards.

+1 xibo https://github.com/xibosignage/xibo

5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I think there are about a dozen open source signage tools out there now, all RPi compatible. I Googled it to check up on it, and found them all to be quite improved from last time I checked.

They all seem to do the same thing. Play around with a few and see what suits.

6. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

+1 xibo. we sparingly use it at my org, and it's been great.

7. phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

xibo is great, set it up at a school I was working at, foolproof interface and the client will run on almost anything, there had been talk of an unofficial rpi client for it as well
    other schools I know of that have used it have used the intel stick pc's for the client side