DirectX 12 and Bulldozer+ FX CPU's.

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Nian, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Euphoreia

Euphoreia Member

I'll disagree, when a $100 cheaper Intel CPU is doing this well at less than half the power/heat, i can't see any reason to go for the AMD alternative. Spending $255 on a CPU? Buy an i5 and crush it.

2. OP
    OP
    Nian

Nian Member

That was an irrelevant link.

Not one of the games benchmarked were DirectX 12 or Vulkan.

3. hvalac

hvalac Member

Well I think it shows the point perfectly.

Nothing there is dx12 or vulkan.

4. Euphoreia

Euphoreia Member

Where it will take even more advantage of Intel's Hyperthreading? Yeah sure.

We'll see.

5. hvalac

hvalac Member

Source
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I will admit, it's only 1 game but it is 1 game that has had a massive amount of optimization to it.... also I can't really find anything else half decent out there because there is no dx12 / vulkan / anything you want amd to strive in, because there is nothing.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  6. Euphoreia

Euphoreia Member

And that's the Haswell (?) based i3, the Skylake one is notably stronger yet again :thumbup:

7. hvalac

hvalac Member

Another ashes bm with a more relevant intel cpu.
    Source

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Euphoreia

Euphoreia Member

Yes, let's overclock the AMD chip to the hilt and then have a comparison. Get outta here, lol...

FX8350 and i5 6400, same price. Guess which one CRUSHES the other one in EVERYTHING? Yep.

9. Perko

Perko Member

From what I can see in these reviews, they're being compared to i3's now, even in DX12 and Vulkan. I recall people comparing them to i5's when they came out, so I'm guessing that the answer to OP is, "not really". They were always reasonably serviceable chips imo, but they are just too old now to be relevant, especially given that they were never powerhouses from the get-go.

Taking it a step further, which I know isn't part of the question, even though DX12 and Vulkan are designed to make better use of multicore chips, they also add a whole bunch of resource intensive features, which studios will be quite keen to leverage within reasonable hardware constraints; so the more efficient use of resources will be offset by a greater base demand for them.

Bingo, the i5 will have significant IPC advantages over the i3, and that doesn't even take the heat, power, longevity etc issues of running the 32nm AMD chip at those clocks. With the information we have at hand right now, there is no reason to put an 8350 in a gaming rig other than brand loyalty. If you're dead against Intel, or loyal to AMD for whatever reason(s), wait for Zen. If you're building gaming PCs for other people, either abstain, or swallow your bias.

10. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Yea I saw that video also, not sure why he overclocked them.

Looks like the i5s have come down in price, they cost indeed just as much as the FX.

It's funny, I use the AMD gear for something totally different: Windows XP retro gaming projects :)