1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dirty Bomb - A F2P FPS by Splash Damage

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by BuZeR, Dec 16, 2012.

1. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

I've never thought of iron sights as something to add skill to gaming. I guess compensating for reduced visibility is a 'skill', but I'm not sure it is something all that worthy of praise. That opinion is probably due to my high vis twitch shooter (Q3/UT) roots though.

I actually found myself hip firing most of the time in dirty bomb, which actually felt a bit like rtcw which was good.

2. dARCKLOWN

dARCKLOWN Member

There are red dots and scopes in the game as well :)

3. yaphax

yaphax Member

Hey it looks like now you can get access to the closed beta on steam:

http://dirtybomb.nexon.net/landing/

Does anyone play and are there aussie servers? definitely interested in playing since it's supposedly like the old rtcw, and there aren't any games around today like it. I loved ETQW but brink sucked.

I just don't want to shell out USD20 to find there's noone playing on the AU servers.

4. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

There are... or were when I played a couple of years back, and again a few months back. The game has gone through a couple of redesigns. It feels very rtcw/et though.

5. trevor68

trevor68 Member

Nice timing, given the beta just went back online fulltime the other day. I just logged in without issue and saw 20 au servers, massive improvement given there only used to be 2. :thumbup:

6. yaphax

yaphax Member

so trevor there were actually players playing then?

if so, i'm in!!

7. trevor68

trevor68 Member

didn't pay much attention, it was a quick game test to see if it still worked, will have a look tonight.

I played before Christmas last year and found it to be fun, very fast paced run n gun stuff.

8. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Just signed up for the beta...

9. yaphax

yaphax Member

I started playing, there was an AU server populated decently at 9am on a Sunday morning, which is not bad at all...

Good game - seems great now, I guess the biggest negative is the chokepoints on some maps, but other than that it's great and feels a lot like the old Wolf:ET! Also would agree the game could be slowed a touch. Netcode is mostly good.

10. yaphax

yaphax Member

if anyone didn't know, this has gone into open beta now so you can just download on steam and give it a go!

11. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

Yep :) I wasn't a huge fan of the alpha or closed beta... I saw potential but didn't really enjoy it.

Since open beta I've already smashed out 40+ hours :lol: Good fun for any old RCTW/EnemyTerritory fans.

12. k1ll3r

k1ll3r Member

I started playing this over the weekend.
    Was good mindless fun I thought.

Still confused on how to do the objectives and what not but if I actually pay attention instead of just killing people I will work it out

13. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

Most of them are just "stand on" or "hold E" (or is it F? I forget) the objective areas.

14. Skitz0

Skitz0 Member

Anyone here playing this?

I've played each night for an hour or so and I'm liking it more and more each time. The latest update has introduced a really over powered melee character which should hopefully be nerfed soon. Other than that, this game is incredible fun when played with some friends.

15. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

I tried. Wouldn't get past loading on my system. Left it at that

16. k1ll3r

k1ll3r Member

Yeah I been playing this. Add me on steam if you want.

That new dude is crazy.
    Loving Proxy though. Proximity mines are good fun

17. yaphax

yaphax Member

New guy is hilarious and probably overpowered.

Great fun, comp mode is the best when it works and there aren't hackers... they gotta fix the cheat protection.

18. Skitz0

Skitz0 Member

I've noticed a massive reduction in hackers lately, seems like their zero tolerance policy is working. There has been only one blatant hacker I've noticed over the weekend.

Seems like the new annoying thing is people using macros to pull off really advanced jumps and maneuvers making it near impossible to hit them. Only seem two people doing that so far. Not as bad as hacking but its annoying.

Phantom is OP as hell. If he is in the same room as you, game over. Bit sad, hopefully they balance him out soon but I bet they are just doing a cash grab.

19. jfing14

jfing14 New Member

I've been playing dirty bomb for a while now and I absolutely love it. Its one of the best free to play first person shooters out there. I'll break it down.

Pros:
    - Satisfying. Even when you die.
    - The hit marker sounds really good
    - Team work really does work and if you have a good squad its so so so much fun
    - Killing isn't everything. When you are a special class or support its satisfying to just be what your class is.
    - Some of the devs are Aussie
    - TEAM WORK IS AWESOME
    - Its free

Cons:
    - Learning curve. Really doesn't baby you (is this really a con? I consider it a pro personally)
    - Terrible team mates. If your team doesn't work together it can make you rage at them. So play with friends or try to
    - Ummm struggling to play devils advocate here
    - It doesnt have as much coverage as it should? Spread the work its a great game

Add me on steam: jfing14
    Play a round or two!

20. Skitz0

Skitz0 Member

Biggest issue right now is the imbalance of Phantom and his cloak/sword. If you are in the same room as him you are dead. Otherwise it's quite decent.

A really good point you made is that support players can easily top the score board if they do their job well. Medics and ammo givers really get rewarded for actively helping the team. The game even gives you bonus points if you specifically give ammo/health directly to a player rather than just spamming it on the ground. Cool feature.

Another pro is that you don't need to be a paid player to be competitive, everything can be acquired for free. If you are clever you can easily earn enough in game currency to buy new characters like I have.

The game gives you mini objectives to complete for more in game currency like win 3 objective based matches or use a particular character in your squad for 5 rounds. Really helps rack up the points to buy new mercs.