Disc less XB1 SKU to launch this year - May 7 confirmed - $US250.

Discussion in 'Microsoft Consoles' started by power, Mar 6, 2019.

1. power

power Member

Microsoft's dream of locking you to just their store and not loaning games to your mates may be just around the corner.

Why they would do it with the shitbox XB1S is beyond me. They should just rebrand it the XB1 Game Pass box.

This thing will offer such poor value I can't believe there will be a market for it. I should also remind you all there goes the "I bought it for a 4K bluray player" people out the door as well.

Honestly one of the main reasons I have held onto my S is so I can put 360 games INTO THE DRIVE and play them.

I'm reminded of this video....

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-one-s-all-digital-edition-preorder

frnak likes this.
  2. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Unless this is half the price, what is the incentive here? or will they phase out the rest?
    Console architecture is just low-end PC hardware these days..

3. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I want MS to crash and burn, they are offering nothing of value to the gaming space.

4. syx

syx Member

im not sure why you are surprised at all, we've done this on the computer ever since counter strike was available via steam.

this is exactly the same as the tv and music and software industry and just like those, eventually you wont 'own' anything, you will pay a fee and have catalog's of stuff available to stream.

5. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

who said there was any surprise, i'm not sure where you get that idea from.

6. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

I enjoyed the Xbox pass on PC. Played SOT for a month for 1$ and then saw nothing of value an left.

If they were to place all platform games, not just shitty 6-12 moth old releases and have it about $180-$250 a year that would make sense but they game developers won't want that. They still want to push alpha and season pass bullshit.

By the time I forget I brought the disc the games worth less than 10 bucks.

7. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

The 4K drive is the only selling point on the XB1S. The rest of the console is a underpowered 720p machine with bugger all worthwhile esclusives.

8. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

imo it's the ultimate xbox 360/og xbox.

9. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

May aswell just but a X and have great specs for new releases and still have ya backwards combatabilty and 4K drive.

10. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

if there were any worthwhile xb1 exclusives i would have done it by now.

11. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

I got a Xbox one when they first starting selling em without the stupid connect and the thing has prob 75hrs of use. I went to use it few months ago and I put batteries in the controller but it doesn’t work anymore so gave up and packed the pos away.

12. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I actually really like the xb1 (i have an S bought off the forums) i just barely ever turn it on. i love buying used games (microsoft hates me) and have a few cheap digital games (they love that) every single modern console i have is a mix of used games and either new or digital games. a digital only box does not appeal to me. but then i hate subscriptions. maybe if it offered the same value as Steam I'd care - but MS digital pricing is shithouse for the most part. this thing will shift game pass in a big way and i bet they can't wait.

13. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Meh, streaming PC games to the TV (or a HTPC) with a controller is better, plenty of other streaming/utility options, plus improved access to retro or indie titles too.

14. frnak

frnak Member

This is going to flunk. With all the online predators, parents prefer the safety of fully offline and disconnected consoles. Kids like to trade physical games, even if they're overpriced. And honestly, Australia's internet speeds haven't really moved on since the ADSL1/2 era anyway.

This is not a new concept either, Nintendo and Sega proposed disk-less downloadable games back in the 90's. Sony tried digital titles on the PSP Go which barely lasted two years.

Looks like history is just repeating itself.

15. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I think MS are blowing their wad too early, it's a sound proposition but I honestly think we are a generation away from it. Give it 10 years, it will probably be reality.

16. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

I’m pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that this generation has about a 50/50 ratio of digital vs disc sales so if that’s true a digital only console is only good for half of your current customer base.

17. clonex

clonex Member

I wouldnt buy one as i buy all my games secondhand anyway, wont see me paying $80-100 for the latest COD/AC but didnt the latest gen consoles both come out originally with intention of blocking secondhand game sales?

18. bcann

bcann Member

i've often found online (Digital) games to be priced more then their disc based counterparts more often then not. even older titles, so for now i generally buy the actual disc.

19. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

you are thinking of the launch of the xbox one.

yeah it was a super popular idea then, microsoft think it's palatable now because of game pass or something.

i mean don't get me wrong this is the future, it doesn't feel like the present.

20. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

Considering most games I’ve bought lately at release we’re all $69 from Jbhifi or $89-100 on the digital store they can get stuffed!