Disc less XB1 SKU to launch this year - May 7 confirmed - $US250.

Discussion in 'Microsoft Consoles' started by power, Mar 6, 2019.

1. nugget28

nugget28 Member

And thats the biggest problem with this... Digital sales are more expansive than physical and it is absolutely ridiculous....

2. simontifik

simontifik Member

I think this system is a great idea as long as it’s priced right. Cheap console plus $11 per month game pass sub, I’m considering picking one up.

Although I haven’t owned a Microsoft or Sony console for the last 2 generations so there’s plenty of older stuff on game pass I’ve never played.

Fuck discs, I haven’t bought any physical media since my WiiU. I don’t mind paying slightly more for digital, it’s convenient and does clutter my house with shit.

3. miicah

miicah Member

XBONE SAD

power likes this.
  4. ekeane

ekeane Member

If digital games start being $60 then this makes sense.

5. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

The pricing will be for maximum profit margins as the well known philosopher Sir Jim Sterling is famous for saying, Games publishers don't just want lots or more money they want ALL of the money.

6. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

It pisses me off no end that games can be 20%+ cheaper in physical form, surely it should be the other way around given the lack of materials, shipping, storage AND profit margin to the businesses selling them to me in the real world. When the gap is large I will go and buy physical, I do try and have a look at sellers of digital download codes which I don’t find too often, but a lot of the time it’s just more convenient not to have discs I have to swap in and out just to prove I really do own the game.

I have bought second hand games and the theory behind selling or trading games with friends (or heaven forbid EBGames)… except when I realise I still have a PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 to go with my Xbox 360, Xbox One and One X… then there is the PSP-1000, GameBoy, GameBoy Advance SP, DS Lite, DS XL and 3DS XL , Wii and the Switch… along with all their physical media. Most of which is gathering dust in a cupboard to be dragged out every now and again for some retro fun. Long story short, I don’t sell the games anyway so digital download aren’t taking anything away from me. Although I do admit I’m at the mercy of the company in making those download available forever (or my own backups of stuff assuming they can still run without requiring updates you can’t get anymore). But I’m pretty happy in this world… so much I just spent $10 more on downloading a game than going down to the shops to pick it up. It also means that I can play it on either of my Xbox’s without having to worry about where the disc is.

For most people I think that if the prices came down a little on electronic games it would go a long way to making people happier. If secondarily to that there was a digital market place for second hand games with a % going to the company (eg Sony/MS/Nintendo) it would allow people to sell stuff AND the company to still make a profit along the way. The way to incentivise “new” purchases in this environment would be to include freebies with the initial purchase like the first DLC or similar making only the core game sellable (Making shit up as I go along here)… Maybe they set a minimum second hand price and gouge heavily on their %?? Sadly I don’t see this happening since it’s just $$ out of the console makers pockets vs all those new sales.

Yeah there are still lots of holes (including Australias shitty internet in some places) but it would be a step in the right direction is you ask me.

7. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I think this is going to flop, and flop hard. From the comments, this is the XBox One S All Digital.

https://www.destructoid.com/microsoft-s-disc-less-xbox-one-s-launches-may-7-for-250-550292.phtml

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  8. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

The Xbox S is already a pretty good deal and the 4K drive is a major selling point! This thing will need to be cheaper then $250 to make it work.

9. darknebula

darknebula Member

Unless they are practically giving this away, or bundling it with a game pass sub, I can’t see any point to it over any of the other models

10. frnak

frnak Member

Given that the S has been sold for as low as $200 on special, I reckon that this unit would need to be around $150 to be viable.
    It's going to sink like a lead balloon.

11. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

this bit in particular cracked me up

how!?

frnak and darknebula like this.
  12. clonex

clonex Member

lol indeed, i guess you have no other option than download the games so never have the need to leave the house to buy games :D

when downloading a game is it always update to date with patches?

wont it potentially need more storage capacity?

13. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

It’s to groom people in getting into digital only game libraries so when the next Xbox is digital only people don’t freak out.

power likes this.
  14. roamin

roamin Member

$250 and only 1tb for a all digital only console doesnt sound right to me. thats not a lot of space with the size of todays games.
    cant see how its going to sell unless they stop production of all the normal xbox consoles that currently have a drive.

i also think they may be doing this to test the waters on there next gen console, do we need to add a drive or not? lets test that theory with a new model of the current hardware to save costs.

i love digital personally, i dont sell or share my games so physical is not a big thing to me no more but the pricing! that forces me to go physical when a $80-$90 digital game is $69-$79 at jb hifi.

reality is we all gotta get used to it sooner or later because everything is streamed now, games was only a matter of time and that time is coming whether we like it or not.

15. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

you first then, i'll enjoy my used games from EB while it lasts. :)

just imagine the consumer confusion, #allgamesarenintendomom goes out and buys little Johnny this thing - and a pile of discs from *insert big box retailer here* little johnny then spends Christmas day downloading all his games.

the joy of the Microsoft Christmas.

Drizz06 likes this.
  16. roamin

roamin Member

Poor johnny but they don't care if you or johnny like it or not. Digital is The future. Not plastic discs being shipped around the world.

People didn't like plastic bags being removed from supermarkets. Stiff shit they did it anyway. Now no one cares. People moved on.

This will be no different.
    Some physical games force part download as it is. Heck some physical games don't even have discs.

My steam account has over 300 games! Can I share them? Nope. Can I sell them? Nope. Can I sit them on a shelf to remind me how much money I've wasted? Nope. Do I care about any of that crap? Nope. Hence I have over 300 games on steam I don't have boxes for.

If next gen went full digital I wouldn't care one bit and most won't care. But we already know ps5 will have a drive as it's backwards compatible from what's being said.

If the ps5 does have a bluray drive I dont see the next gen xbox not having one.

One thing I love about digital is no matter where I am I can log in. Download the game I want to play and go nuts. Physical no can do.

17. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

The best is when you get a shiny new PS4 for Xmas and after dad plugs it in you gotta do OS updates and then once you put a game like gta5 in then you get greeted with 20gb update to download. Little Johnny can enjoy his new console in approx 18hrs :lol:

18. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

yep, it is - everyone knows it.

19. Falcon

Falcon Member

disk or not, games install onto the console and take up that 50-80GB regardless, only saves an initial download, then 1 week after release they do a massive patch anyway :p

20. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

and if you are in the lower end of the market where a cheaper console appeals to you, why would expensive LARGE install size games appeal - internet is not free....