Discouraging a wombat

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Agg, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

My big brown hole, let me show you it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before you ask, he's not in there at the moment, and I'm filling the whole with water (as suggested by my neighbour) to make him think he's dug into a spring or something so he fucks off. But I did that about a week or so ago and it didn't seem to work. So next I'll be filling it with large rocks, dirt, half a bag of cement I have lying around, etc.

But my question is, how do I discourage him from simply building somewhere further along under the deck? Short of hanging around my deck with a large dog and a shotgun etc.

2. Rational

Rational Member

Why would you want to discourage it? It would be a great pet.

3. /\/\usE+

/\/\usE+ Member

if you wanted catacombs built under your house.

4. spludgey

spludgey Member

I'd love to have a wombat under my house (if I had a house).

5. Sitting*Duck

Sitting*Duck Member

First pic has a bone, are you sure you don't have a dog? They are both hairy.

.sd

6. Rezin

Rezin Member

What if it's too late and they're already there. Now that Agg has flooded it, is his house in danger of collapsing? :lol: ;)

Edit: I hope that was recycled water... drought and all. ;)

7. OP
    OP
    Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

I have 2 dogs, but they'd be covered in dirt if they'd dug a hole that big. Although it could be a dog digging, he's pretty damn dedicated! No telltale cubic wombat poos around though, so who knows. Let's assume it's a wombat for now though as there are shitloads of them around here. :)

8. The Touch

The Touch Member

Well you learn something new everyday :lol: :thumbup:

9. Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

If you look closely.. you can see tiny, cute, baby, non-mange, MURDERED floating wombats in the water.

:(

10. Smoke87

Smoke87 Member

Wombats are HIGHLY territorial.

Their burrows can cover up to 4 square km. They only meet when searching for a mate.

They can also be quite fast and will knock over a large man - these things weigh in over 40kg and IIRC can run up to speeds of 50pkh over a short (very short) distance when charging, but the conservationist who told me this said it was often only when they had mange.

In short there is little chance of getting rid of him other than relocation.

EDIT: Also those tunnels can go quite far in - is your house still structurally sound? Especially after softening the dirt, perhaps an engineer's inspection is necessary....

11. OP
    OP
    Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Ta for the useful info. They pretty much all have mange around here I'm told. The tunnel is only about as deep as you can see there so nothing too major in terms of structure. It's far from anything important and the deck is going to be replaced within a couple of years anyway. I guess I'll fill the hole with annoying things like bricks and rocks and see what he does next.

12. kogi

kogi Member

From what rural friends have told me, the only thing to do is to set a wombat trap. And release the thing as far away form your home as possible

kogi

13. Smoke87

Smoke87 Member

Egh poor buggers!

On the way to the snow I saw ~20-30 dead wombats. More wombats than Kangaroos!

14. WaLLLY

WaLLLY Member

Be pretty bad if there were baby wombats in that hole or something :Paranoid:

15. pugsley

pugsley Member

Would have thought the scent of the dogs would have kept him away, let alone human presence. I say just see what happens tonight. Im guessing something spooked it into leaving as they normally can finish a burrow in a night. Maybe your dog did their job.

No tracks in the soft dirt?

16. OP
    OP
    Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Dogs are inside at night (it's snowed here 3 times in the last month) and yes lots of dog prints there now from when the dogs were let out and checked out the hole in great detail. :)

17. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Did you name it Fatso?

18. Willybomb

Willybomb Member

You don't want your dogs getting down any holes the wombats are down - the wombles will crush the dogs against the tunnel walls. Water was a good move - next step concrete...

19. anc001

anc001 Member

Studies at Curtin uni showdingo urine is very effective repellant for roos, assuming you are not game to go out and milk some local dingos you could encourage your pups to use that particular area and hope it has a similar effect?

20. pugsley

pugsley Member

Dogs being inside at night wouldnt make any difference. Their scent would still be around.