Discussion - Market impact of there still being no SLI option for AM3 boards

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Chappy0061, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Chappy0061

Chappy0061 Member

I was going to ask about this in the thread about Nvidia making their own boards (aparrently), but i thought this might be too much of a tangent.

In your opinion, who do you think is being hurt more by AMD not offering an SLI option for their AM3 motherboards?

Please state your reasons.

Personally i think it hurts AMD much more than it hurts Nvidia. This issue was one of the major reasons why i chose to move to a Core i7 setup over simply purchasing a 1090T for my Gigabyte AM3 MB.
    It cost much more than simply upgrading my CPU, but i want to run an Nvidia SLI setup to run 3 monitors with 3D vision.

2. Bertross

Bertross Member

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  3. OP
    OP
    Chappy0061

Chappy0061 Member

4. master phi

master phi Member

Nvidia's SLI tech = licensing costs.

Why increase the cost of a board just to allow for licensing costs?

Just look at what happened with Intel and Nvidia. As I understand it is because Nvidia wants $$$ for their SLI tech which AMD can't afford.

5. 180degrees

180degrees Member

6. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

as pointed out, nvidia have and sli capable chipsets for everything since 939 :)

but it is not an ideal solution, while the 980a can triple sli, it is an old chipset thats been rehashed for am3.

sli patch and sli mod seem to be returning reliable sli with 260.xx drivers anyway so who needs a certified chipset :)

7. Austenite.

Austenite. (Banned or Deleted)

at work i've been seeing some customers bring in a new 939 from amd in, Athlon 2's not x2 dualies but 'athlon II' with 939 on the chip, has me a lil confused, has amd brought back socket 939 or have i missed something

8. OP
    OP
    Chappy0061

Chappy0061 Member

AMD likes to keep their new chips compatible with their old sockets.

IMO it just made things confusing when lots of motherboard makers started advertising their AM2+ boards as AM3 just because they could fit AM3 CPU's.
    Nevermind the fact the boards still ran DDR2 RAM......

9. Wolfje

Wolfje Member

hybrid physx, my friend.

I have a HD5970 for graphics and an 8800gt sitting on a pcie x4 slot for physx , and hammers.

About 60fps of booby jiggling action in star tales. lol.

10. Dave2972

Dave2972 Member

Are you sure about this? Socket 939 has not been made by AMD for a long time. AMD's AM2 and AM2+ desktop CPUs were 940 pin chips and the AM3 desktop CPUs are 938 pin chips. When the 939 desktop CPUs first came out, AMD also had server 940 pin Opterons but they are a different pin pattern from the 940 desktop AM2s and AM2+ CPUs.

Yep, you have missed something. By miles. Many millions of miles. Probably billions of miles (1 mile is approx 1.609344km).

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  11. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

But not with S939. The modern chips don't support DDR1 RAM, and S939 boards don't have DDR2 slots.

Where exactly is this "939" on the chip, and in what context? I wasn't aware that AMD actually listed what the socket was on the CPU.

12. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

If it has Athlon then it is old.

Phenom is the new athlon.

13. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

He was talking about the Athlon II, which was released after the Phenom II.

I think that it hurts AMD more than Nvidia. In the low-end market, nobody's buying SLI anyway. In the high-end market, everyone's buying Intel and getting SLI support with their X58 boards. In the mid-range market, it's pretty easy to justify buying AMD or Intel CPUs; they're close enough that you can make that decision based purely on what video card you want.

As such, the only customers that Nvidia are likely to lose are the people who insist on having an AMD CPU for reasons other than performance (most likely just because they like AMD) and aren't satisfied with a single video card. This is a small group and not worth bothering with.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  14. Dave2972

Dave2972 Member

That's a bit harsh.

An AMD 955-965 with 2 video cards in SLI work extremely well; I have a 955 with 2 x GTX285s in SLI and a 1920x1200 screen and that combo works extremely well (if you ignore the system black hole game Crysis). I can crank up the AA and AF and other eye-candy and have a very good gaming experience.

When I built the system in Feb 2009, I was also considering an i7-920 with GTX285. At the time, it cost about $40 more to build the system with AMD955 + 2 x GTX285s than a system with i7-920 and 1 x GTX285. At the time of the build, the 955 was not available in Oz so I used a AMD940 until the 955 came out and the 940 was then swapped into another machine, it was going to get a CPU upgrade anyway.

From a gaming point of view, the 955 + 2 x GTX285s in SLI are better than i7-920 + 1 x GTX285 @ 1920 x 1200 screen res. At higher resolutons, you need a fairly powerful video card do do the screen rendering and the CPU is of lesser importance in that situation.

I know somebody with an i7-920 and 1 x GTX285 and we have played games on each other's machine. We both agree that my AMD + SLI system plays the same games better than his i7 system.

Are you an intel fanboi, SLATYE?

15. OP
    OP
    Chappy0061

Chappy0061 Member

My god that was one helluva roundabout way to say "i don't think CPU power is a significant factor for gaming".
    And in response:
    Just because CPU power is not a significant factor for your games, does not mean it is not a significant factor for all games.
    Strategy games for one, have a habit of raping CPU's.

What motherboard did you use?
    I take it based on the time you built that system it would have been an AM2+ board running DDR2 RAM right?