1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion of jerky taste *ONLY*

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Tony, Aug 17, 2005.

1. OP
    OP
    Tony

Tony New Member

250g a day is rather hefty... I seriously could not do that and have 2 or 3 meals a day. The chewing is enough as it is!

T.

2. MeowMix

MeowMix Member

Hahahaha, no.

3. OP
    OP
    Tony

Tony New Member

I'm trying very hard to eat eat eat and I wouldn't be even getting thru 25g at a sitting... it's too bloaty.

You eat some, you drink some beer, 10g in dried means 20g? 30g? dunno in weight in your tummy.

Enough for today.

T.

4. MeowMix

MeowMix Member

It took a little to warm up to it, but after that I couldn't get enough.

I want more :(

5. PHATE-ALITY

PHATE-ALITY Member

bbq is nice, hotter than i was expecting but damn the plain is WOW. If this ever happens again 2 kgs just of that

cheers MH

PHATE

6. bajor1

bajor1 Member

Just received my jerky, Melb AusPost is busy today...
    1kg, 4x250gm packs.

Plain is great, nice flavour, not hot. Just like you'd expect great jerky to be like. :thumbup:

Honey Soy is subtle, not bad but not really my thing. If it was the only thing available I would still get it.

Teriyaki is good, different flavour of course and need to investigate further.

BBQ...Be still my burning gums!!
    Well OK, it's not really that hot but it's way hotter than the other three. Great jerky flavour, plenty of heat. This one is my current fave and will order more next time. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Excellent work MH.

7. iHENRY

iHENRY Member

i like the BBQ for spicyness better that the Hot.
    its a combination of the falvour and the dense strips they come in, thats different from the other jerky. IMO its easier to eat the way the BBQ ones have been made.

8. SleepingBear

SleepingBear Member

Im hooked on jerky now. Plain is my favourite, hot is just too damm hot for me. Guess i will have to find my own supplier in Australia. If anyone knows of any good jerky suppliers pm me please. Not that supermarket crap either please.

9. neo323

neo323 Member

got mine today and for someone who is only use to the packet stuff it tastes odd like bitter but im starting to get use to the plain and its solid as a rock :thumbup: :D

10. Al_fire

Al_fire Member

must.....stop......eating.......jerky!!! :p

Its a nice change to the normal packet crap at the pub, the spicy is great, but damn is it HOT and i tried the plain, its nice for when the spicy gets too much. Havent tried the sweet chillie or teriaki yet, plenty of it left though. :thumbup:

11. Spiderman

Spiderman Member

Yeah, I'm having the similiar experience; I'm really, REALLY used to the packet stuff, and now this stuff seems more moist. Not to mention that the pieces are huge! :) Great stuff still!

12. Spiderman

Spiderman Member

I don't like the taste of the Honey Soy; if anyone would like to purchase 250g of it, sans a small piece (about finger sized), please PM me.

13. [SuB]

[SuB] Member

I'd say my favourite is the Honey Soy having tried Sweet Chilli, Hot, BBQ and Honey Soy so far.

This stuff is fantastic. It's very hight quality jerky and has been well worth the wait.

14. Sheriff

Sheriff Member

Yes, worth the wait for sure. :thumbup:

I love this BBQ, the quality of the meat is quite evident in the tender texture of the jerky, aswell as the extra spicyness flavour rounds it off quite nicely. :cool: :thumbup:

Cheers again MH

Last edited: Aug 20, 2005
  15. KAMBO

KAMBO Member

I got Hot/sweet chili/honey soy.

Hot is waaaay hot! Prefer the sweet chili out of the lot.

I have only eaten the asian stuff and the nobby's stuff.
    imo this jerky is better then the nobby's stuff but not as good as the asian stuff you get in the grocery shops. (probably cause it's what I'm used to).

The quantity gets me though!! My jaw hurts. :thumbup:

16. unix

unix Member

GUYS! Stop talking about Jerky damnit. I've never had it before..and after reading this thread..i'm craving for some. When is the next groupbuy? :leet:

17. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Remember not to just gulp it down like a snack, guys.. to really get the flavour out of it and make your stash last, chew it slowly between your back teeth, let your saliva rehydrate it and let the flavour out. It should basically just fall apart and be swallowed with your saliva over time, not chew/gulp chew/gulp like normal food. Otherwise you'll run out in no time and won't have actually tasted it. :)

18. smackus

smackus Member

IMHO -If you've always had the asian/viet jerky or cuttlefish this sweet chilli jerky wont taste better. I found it to be smelly, like the beef has gone off. Even biltong from my butcher taste better than this stuff.

Anyway happy chewing.

19. Dismember

Dismember Member

The difference is some jerky focuses on the flavour of beef, using spices to heighten the taste of beef. For example groupbuy Plain flavour, worcestershire and soy really brings out the beef flavour without making it have a strong aftertaste.
    The other type is the focus on spices and marinade, using different kinds of meat to accent the spices. For example asian 'Pork' 'jerky' has a heavy spice flavour, however the sweetness needed to bring attention to these spices drowns out the meat completely. It doesn't even taste like meat you only feel the texture of meat (in cases of fresh pork jerky they use ground meat so it doesn't even have texture).
    Personally I love the taste of both types and make both at home every week.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2005
  20. SteakSLion

SteakSLion Member

Once again, brilliant Jerky from MH.

I love the chilli :leet: