Dishwasher-safe Chef Knife Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Turnip Dude, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Turnip Dude

Turnip Dude Member

I have a high end set of beautiful knives that I hate using because I don't like them getting dirty, and my Woolies cheapies are rusting in the dishwasher.

Is there a good everyday workhorse knife for around $50 that won't rust in the dishwasher? I would rather sharpen more often than have to run hot water and soap just for one knife.

2. scared&profane

scared&profane Member

Why not just use one of those scrubbers with the detergent in them under hot water?

With that said I've been using some Schmidt Bros knives lately that only cost about $40. Easily replaceable when the dishwasher ruins their temper (though not something I would do).

3. Shepete

Shepete Member

Just get in the habit of giving it a wipe with a damp dishcloth & then dry it on a tea towel. You should never put a good knife in a dishwasher.

How the fuck is hot water going to ruin the temper?

4. Geno

Geno Member

Never scrub any chef knife you value with anything more abrasive then a chux cloth.

My chef always said extremely hot water and a soft cloth, but if you want to scratch the living shit out of the blade go for it!

What I do is buy a 'bitch-knife' for cheap like you have suggested and treat it like a disposable knife. Its the only way to go.

5. scared&profane

scared&profane Member

touche - it appears that its just the banging and caustic detergent in dishwashers that do the damage and my assuption of heat was off.

6. Shepete

Shepete Member

:thumbup::)

To be honest I doubt it is the caustic.

7. KraSE

KraSE Member

how friggin hard is it to wash a couple of knives...

Kids these days *shakes head*

8. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I agree. We've had our Furi kitchen knives for over 5 years now, sharpening (unprofessionally) them only a couple of times since we first bought them. They never-ever see the dishwasher and are always hand washed which takes approximately 2 seconds.

9. OP
    OP
    Turnip Dude

Turnip Dude Member

If I wasn't too busy/lazy to hand wash knives I would never have bought a dishwasher :p

I think in future I will leave the dirty knives on the kitchen counter and let the cockroaches lick them clean.

10. OP
    OP
    Turnip Dude

Turnip Dude Member

I don't put my good knives in the dishwasher. That's why I'm asking about an everyday knife that is dishwasher safe. I don't mind sharpening it more often than if I hand washed it.

Sheesh, did anyone actually read my initial post?

11. caspian

caspian Member

I put my plastic handled Victorinox utility parers through the dishwasher every time. they get a quick steel every second or third use and they are fine. I can't see why a larger stainless plastic handled knife would not be OK too, as long as you put it in a plate slot so it doesn't bang around.

12. OP
    OP
    Turnip Dude

Turnip Dude Member

Thanks caspian, the Victorinox looks exactly what I am after.

13. orbitor

orbitor Member

I just put my knives in the dishwasher and sharpen them when they're blunt. Who gives a damn if they don't last as long. Buy new ones.

14. plasticbastard

plasticbastard Member

When you're spending $50 on a knife, that kind of process is fine, but when you've spent $200+, well, you want your knife to last.

15. caspian

caspian Member

I do not put decent knives in the dishwasher for the primary reason that it kills the handles, and my decent knives either do not have plastic handles, or are ceramic and thus need handwashing anyway.

once you eliminate the handle as a reason, the remaining objections are mechanical impact, heat and the alkaline detergents involved.

mechanical impact is fairly easily fixed, but it also takes about 10 seconds to clean a knife by hand, and I have enough cookware and glassware that can't go through the dishwasher anyway (think non-stick and double walled glasses) that I do a little handwashing anyway. combine with a full dishwasher and why bother?

heat - the sort of heat generated in a dishwasher emphatically will *not* damage a knife blade, period. it also won't damage a plastic handle any more than a tupperware container, unless it somehow comes in contact with the element, in which case you have done a crap job of loading the washer! I don't like the effect on timber handles though. Kyocera do state their plastic handled knives are dishwasher safe in the top rack only to get away from the element, but then the ability to safely load them is in doubt.

alkaline detergents - I don't have any carbon steel or damascus steel cooking knives, so I'm not worried about rust, but they do kill wooden handles stone dead through stripping the oils out of them.

16. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

It looks to me as if everyone is telling you not to do it :) After I use my knife, I have to wash my chopping board anyway - cleaning the knife at the same time only adds a few seconds. After that, a quick wipe on a kitchen towel and it's done.

17. OP
    OP
    Turnip Dude

Turnip Dude Member

Nobody ever innovated by doing the same as everyone else :p

Why not put your chopping board/s in the dishwasher?

Would something like these wipes work for knives and chopping boards as well as kitchen surfaces?

18. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Two reasons.

1. I've done this before. It destroyed my wooden chopping board by warping it.

2. Takes up too much room, i'd rather put dishes in there.

No idea :) I just use detergent and water. Or for kitchen surfaces - Spray n Wipe.

19. STINGA

STINGA Member

20. caspian

caspian Member

absolutely.

good quality chopping boards are end grain timber and are therefore multiple pieces of timber glued up, and dishwashers kill them quickly by ruining the glue bond. you're not even supposed to soak them for any period.

any board, end grain or not, will also suffer the same problem as a wooden knife handle - the alkaline salts of the dishwasher will strip all the oils out of the timber, and the heat of the dryer element will then cause rapid shrinkage, which results in warping and cracking.

my Wiltshire Big Boy boards survive fine without warping, but my wooden ones - no.