Display Driver Stopped Responding & Has Recovered (nVidia 355.60)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by willy_manilly, Aug 20, 2015.

1. willy_manilly

willy_manilly Member

Hi there,

I'm at my wits end! I've tried everything to get my PC working for longer than 30 mins without glitching and causing this error: http://prntscr.com/86n01i

I've been reading up on the nVidia forum that many people have been experience a similar issue but from what I can tell, everybody has been fixing the issue differently.

I'm running 3x DELL 23" monitors, which I originally thought might be a little much for my video card, however I've swapped back to two and I'm still receiving the same error. I've also upgraded my PSU thinking that the video card wasn't getting enough power (didn't work).

I don't even get this error during gaming, I actually receive it while i'm using Photoshop, Chrome, Excel and Skype.

My PC specs are as follows:

Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 870 @ 2.93GHz 20 °C
    Lynnfield 45nm Technology
    RAM
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 663MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. P55M-UD2 (Socket 1156) 25 °C
    Graphics
    DELL U2311H (1920x1080@60Hz)
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (ASUStek Computer Inc) 25 °C
    Storage
    55GB KINGSTON SV300S37A60G ATA Device (SSD) 20 °C
    931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 ATA Device (SATA) 24 °C
    Optical Drives
    PIONEER BD-ROM BDC-202 ATA Device
    Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

Any help or advice would be great.

2. miicah

miicah Member

Roll back your driver. Try 350.12 WHQL. I used to get it in LoL until I rolled back. It can also have something to do with Chrome.

3. OP
    OP
    willy_manilly

willy_manilly Member

Hi there,

I rolled back to 335.23 which worked a little better however it crashed after about 1 hour. http://prntscr.com/86od28

So you think 350.12 WHQL could be the fix?

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I've had this issue before and for me the fix was actually changing OS's believe it or not. I did a fresh install of 7 and it still happened. This was when I was using a GTX580. And I tried all the drivers etc etc. Then I tried Win 8/8.1 and the issue resolved itself. Weird, but it worked.

5. miicah

miicah Member

Yeah. If you go and search on reddit.com/r/nvidia for 'display driver crashed' you will find a bunch of threads with people who have had varying success with different drivers.

It's annoying as hell, mine still isn't 100% stable; dota2 crashes unless I do a full reboot before playing.

6. JonnoHR31

JonnoHR31 Member

Can be caused by a GPU overclock that's right on the edge of being unstable as well. Doesn't sound like the case here, but something to keep in mind :thumbup:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  7. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I had that issue too. Drove me bonkers. I installed MSI Afterburner and downclock my GPU by a few mhz and it seemed to have fixed it. Even though it was not overclocked at all. I had Asus Strix and they come with higher clock speed by default.

Had the issue with 2x970 SLi and 2x 980 SLi. After rebooting the changes to the clock speed went back to default and it stopped giving me error since.

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Looks like there is quite a wide variety of fixes here...

9. Perko

Perko Member

If it's doing it in those apps and not games, it's switching to the lower power state/2D mode and not getting the volts when they try to use hardware acceleration.
    Sometimes this can work.
    If you still want to have the power saver mode or it doesn't work, you'll probably need to see if there's a new BIOS revision for it. If it does work, and you still want it to save power on idle, you could make a profile for the problem apps in NVCP with that setting changed.

Was it ok before a certain time/change? If it was like it from the time you got it, a BIOS flash doesn't fix it, and you get the same result in another PC, I reckon you would be able to RMA it without too much trouble.

10. OP
    OP
    willy_manilly

willy_manilly Member

Hi all,

Just a quick update. I ended up using Photoshop 32bit instead of 64bit and I haven't had a crash since.

Not sure if this fixed the issue or just stopped Photoshop using so much GPU memory and the card didn't run as hot?

Anyway, thanks for your help!

EDIT: Nevermind, it crashed again today with the same error and this message http://prntscr.com/88jxgb

Had a good run of approx 2 days before a crash.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Only one way to find out, try it and see ; ) Will only take you a few minutes.

12. de_overfiend

de_overfiend Member

sounds like your video card is dying

run video memory test to be sure... prolly need a new card

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Not necessarily, mine did the same and was "fixed" by doing an OS change. Just didn't like something within Win7. Win8/8.1 fine.

14. killedbycrimson

killedbycrimson Member

I have this issue when I have chrome open while trying to make music in Fl studio. Frustrating as, sometimes it kills my FL project.

15. havabeer

havabeer Member

I had the same issue

tried everything, just about every single fix on the internet, trolled forums for days trying all the suggestions. in the end I had to I rma'd my video card.

worked perfectly afterwards.

honestly go get a cheap as 2nd hand video card out of the forsale section. put it in and see if you have any issues. I bet my money on the fact that you wont have the problem again with a different card

16. power

power Member

I echo the faulty video card diagnoses - you'll find a million and one "fixes" googling this as well.

I had these on a 560Ti, it'd crash once it hit 60 something degrees (can't remember exactly) in TW2 and nothing else, same error as you - drove me bonkers eventually I rma'd it and I still have the replacement.

17. Da Madness

Da Madness Member

I'm starting to get the same thing... has just started since being on windows 10.

Bloody better not be a faulty video card as it's my MSI GT80 laptop.

18. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

i have these this problem with Nvidia and AMD Cards.

I have been able to fix both with different drivers and tweaks using MSI Afterburner.

I have also been unable to fix both with these methods, and had to RMA the card.

It is annoying and time consuming, however when i get this issue now. I roll back drivers to the latest WHQL ones, and if they dont work, then RMA, Wont spend any more time than that.

19. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

I had this problem with my MSI 280x in the end got so fed up with it all took it out and put my old ASUS 6770 in there. Slower but it goes.

20. OP
    OP
    willy_manilly

willy_manilly Member

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies. I'm going to RMA the card this week and see how we go with a replacement. I've lost important files i've been working on way to many times now. However, from what I can tell the card isn't getting hot, it seems to sit at around 32 degrees...

EDIT: Going to run 3DMark GFX now and see how I go.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015