1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Diving chat thread - spots, holidays, gear, experiences

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by zfind, Mar 8, 2012.

1. sgtraven

sgtraven Member

Camera wise the GoPro cameras are quite popular at the moment with water resistance to 60m straight out of the box and great video

2. OP
    OP
    zfind

zfind Member

Only doing snorkelling or diving too? Camera-wise, the Sony Action Cam is waterproof down to 60m, seems alright. Would look less ridiculous dangling off your mask than a GoPro too :)

Gear wise, the staples are a good bet; Tusa, Cressi, Mares. You can get full sets from them all. Make sure the gear is comfortable above all, you don't want a mask that squeezes your face or breaks your nose when you're trying to enjoy the view. Full foot fins would be easier if you're only snorkelling and in warm Maldivian waters. Split fins are my personal choice but it doesn't matter much.

I would get the gear from Frog Dive on Willoughby Road or ProDive (few shops around Sydney). They should help you try out the stuff and find good gear.

edit: This ProDive pack would do the trick: Tusa pack

3. Zee

Zee Member

NO!! STOP!

Don't do it! You are about to enter a world where you money starts to pour in to a black bottomless hole and never stops. Forget the camera, forget the housing, just enjoy it. Let someone else take pics of you...

*from experience*

Z...

4. aerofan88

aerofan88 Member

I've checked out the cases for my D7000 and 24-70mm combo and its very expensive and have no intentions of getting it after I checked out the prices. Thought there might be cheaper alternatives. But will take it for happy snaps as im staying in the Maldives for around 14 days. Do I need to get some silica gel since the place is very humid, so I don't get fungus growing on my lens? Is it a short enough stay that I don't need to care about it. Obviously will put it in a pelican case.

I will predominately be snorkelling but will do some dives. I know someone at the resort with a D800 underwater setup but I can't use that any time I want tho. Cheers, I will be heading into prodive on the weekend to buy some gear. Wishing it was over the $300 threshold for 2 packs so I can get the tax back.

5. myeewyee

myeewyee Member

Bit of a bump - I'll be heading out on a liveaboard trip from Cairns in about a week and I've heard that the winter seas can be quite rough. I get seasick fairly easily so I'm wondering what medication I can use to prevent as much as possible of the sickness?

Or any other ways to not end up chucking in my reg?

6. karmic

karmic Member

While I havent needed anything for myself yet, a lot of my dive travel buddies take Kwells tablets with them on overseas trips. You can get other brands of seasick tablets from most chemists, along with herbal remedy's and wristband things.

From what I've read, the trick is to take the tablets 1-2hrs before going on a boat so your body has time to absorb them. Cant do that if you're already throwing up.

How you manage that on a live-aboard I'm not sure. Pop one as soon as you wake up?

Kyle

7. OP
    OP
    zfind

zfind Member

You're brave :eek:.

I reckon even kwells can't help you if you're sick for days on end. Hence why I can't do much aside from shore dives or one-stop boat dives.

That being said apparently it all disappears once you get under.

Got down to Croatia in June but didn't manage to squeeze in diving. Maybe if I go back in august!

8. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

this (i get fairly seasick too)

i was in Fiji in May and did two boat dives at Namena, which is amazing btw ( http://www.namena.org/ ). apparently used to be Top 10 in teh world

the boat ride from the resort was about 50 mins in more or less open seas

when we stopped to gear up, i was holding back the chunks. once i was in the water, it was fine

short stop for lunch and short boat ride to second dive site wasn't too bad

in teh water for second dive was fine

when i surfaced from second dive, the vomit started

then spent the 50 min boat ride back to the resort with my head over the side (only spewed a bit at the start)

it was totally worth it for Namena, but anywhere else i might have been disappointed

could have been the depths we did, which was 25-27m when i'm pretty sure i'm only licensed to go to 18m?

9. OP
    OP
    zfind

zfind Member

First breath through the reg
    Bubbles as deflator squeezed
    Sun still burns overhead

I think I need to go diving again...

10. admiralranga

admiralranga Member

Time to do a dry suit course?

11. OP
    OP
    zfind

zfind Member

Yuck, no thanks! I like my diving clear and warm with minimal gear! :D.

12. spokeydokey

spokeydokey Member

I've always been fortunate not to get hit by seasickness, and there's no guarantee it'll stop once you go under, a mate of mine was fine on a boat, fine on top of the water, the moment he went under was an entirely different story. Diving wasn't for him.

I managed to get a double dive in down in Tasmania a few weeks back, hit the kelp forest while there.

[​IMG]

I did Namena over last christmas, Stooge's post brought it back to mind, i've got a video will be uploading tonight of the Chimney's. Watching back over that made me long for warm water and clear viz. Got a quick screengrab as i was getting it together.

[​IMG]

Went down to Jervis Bay two weekends ago and hit up the ex-HMAS Adelaide last weekend too, reaaaaally looking forward to warm water after those lol

[​IMG]

13. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

i did Chimneys and Grand Central Station

both amazing dives, best i've ever done :thumbup:

14. biomaster

biomaster Member

Haha, not always. I dont get seasick much these days, but I used to get it a shit load as a kid, so I know exactly how it feels.

The last time I was seasick was ealier this year, after a big night out. Took the boat out for some freedive spearfishing, was fine till I anchored up. Started to feel a bit seady as I kitted up, but I thought oh it's ok it will go away as soon as I get in the water. It didn't. It just got worse and worse. After about 10min I was yacking on the surface. Tried to push through and keep going but it didnt work, so I got out and lay in the boat with a drink of water. Drove to the next dive site after my mate was done and I hopped in there, swam for about 10min and again I was fucked, so just got out and slept in the boat.

So I guess the moral of the story is if your hungover enough, you're gonna be seasick no matter what you do haha.

15. spokeydokey

spokeydokey Member

Same here, was meant to go at first with Cousteau, ended up doing two local dives with them, Jacksons and Alice in Wonderland, then went with Koro Sun to Namena.

I'm the same, they were my best dives (condition wise), when i got back from the day with Cousteau my resort owner was incredibly apologetic as I must have had such a terrible day doing these two 'terrible' local dives. It's all about perspective I told him, that when you're used to 5m vis and 17 degree water, and then doing two 'terrible' dives with 50m vis and just diving in boardies and a long sleeved lavacore certainly didn't make them seem all that terrible lol

16. spokeydokey

spokeydokey Member

Here's the first ten minutes uncut dropping down the first chimney at Namena

17. OP
    OP
    zfind

zfind Member

OK - NEXT holiday booked where I plan to dive, Florida and Caribbean. If I don't dive there I'm handing in my license.

18. lombot

lombot Member

I did a few shelf dives in Grand Cayman a few years ago best diving experience I have had yet warm water, lots of sea life and some of the best visibility I have ever experienced. I hope you have fun.

19. sml_nail

sml_nail Member

Looking to give diving a try and was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on some decent online stores for gear?

I understand that I'll have to try some stuff on for best fitment but would imagine there would be a fair bit of price difference between online and the local dive shop.

Looking for just mask, gloves etc to start with everything else will be rented until I know for sure diving is for me.

I've looked on gumtree and ebay for used gear (not mask, snorkel etc of course) but there doesn't seem to be much around.

Haven't done the open dive certification course yet but there seems to be a few Groupon deals for dives for cheap. Given they are SSI certified is there any other catches I need to be aware of?

Does anybody have any pearls of wisdom that a beginner should be aware of?

20. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

I would do a dive course before buying any gear. I have been snorkeling for years before I did my PADI cert. I cannot remember the differences between them and the other group.

My mask, snorkel, flippers and glove I got through a local dive shop. Helps with fitting. Mind you I have some issues with my mop (long hair) and decent seal on my mask.