DIY 17" laptop cooler

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by massiveoni, Jun 25, 2009.

1. massiveoni

massiveoni Member

i am going to try and make a laptop cooler out of plexiglass, and just put 2 or 4 big fans in it,

does anyone know if anyone makes case fans which are like 10 or 15mm thick?

i want to keep it as thin as possible

the reason i am doing this is cause i cant find a cooler for a 17" laptop, which you can have sitting on your legs.

http://eprim.org/i/0808/scythe-kaze-maru-fan.jpg is one i like the look of, but i would like to ask, and see if anyone knows of any which is thinner.

the other reason i am going to make my own, is cause all of the benchmarks i have seen for laptop coolers only reduces the temp by up to 4 or 5 maybe 6 degrees C, but my laptop runs at like 80 degree C, so i would like to make a cooler which can reduce the temp of my laptop by 10 or even 20 degree C (and hopefully more)

i will be taking photos of my project, and be doing before and after benchmarks.

thanks for everyone's help

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  2. mojododo

mojododo Member

sorry dude, wrong section. this is extreme cooling.

but to answer yes there are a couple of 10mm fans around, good modding/pc stores on the net would have a couple, not many come to mind atm tho.

3. Beaistheman

Beaistheman Member

how are u gonna power it??

4. OP
    OP
    massiveoni

massiveoni Member

molex to usb converter, that way i might even put a speed controller on it too

i am open to peoples ideas

5. bennyg

bennyg Member

If the CPU heatpipe/sink is tiny and useless nothing you can do will be worth the effort.

Back on planet earth, (good luck getting 20 deg off load temps !!!) if you're after temp drops AS5ing everything heat related and clearing dust is gonna do waaaay more than a cooler.

What laptop do you have and what hardware is in it (in another thread you mention you're after a socket P CPU and a replacement for a 8400GS?)

The best gain you may be able to get by DIYing is by matching up the fan underneath to blow air straight into the fan intake (or suck it out of a fan exhaust [outtake?]) which the standard pads might not be lined up to do. IMO just randomly blowing air all over the bottom surface of the laptop does 99% of bugger all to CPU/GPU cooling - is why the effect of most of these things is pretty underwhelming.

But yeah, it's certainly not "extreme" cooling being discussed here...

6. OP
    OP
    massiveoni

massiveoni Member

if this is not the right forum for this thread, can a mod or op please move it to the correct area.

i have a core 2 duo 2.0ghz t7300 with 4gb ram, 2x 500gb wd hard drives, and a geforce 8400m gs.

for some reason under load the laptop will get upto 85 degree C, and idle i will sit at about 50 degree C.

the way i was going to do it, is that the fans wont just blow air over the base of the laptop, but the cooler will be designed so that the fans will force air thru the laptop, but i know there will be some air leakage, but i will try and keep that to a min, but most of the air will be forced or pushed thru the laptop.

7. rockit711

rockit711 Member

how are you going to get air pushed through the laptop? arent most laptops relitivly sealed (except where they have exhaust/inflow vents for internal fans). also slim fans will likely perform badly and have low pressure so wont be up to much 'forcing' at all

8. OP
    OP
    massiveoni

massiveoni Member

i am going to use a fairly high speed fan, either 1200 rpm or 1900rpm, 120mm by 120mm by 25mm fan, which can move quite a bit of air, the only reason i was asking about slimmer fans was cause i didnt have much luck on my first google for slim fans, and i didnt know if anyone had used them for any reason.
    i was thinking about using 4 of the scythe kaze maru fans.
    there specs are avail at http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/038/sy1425sl12_detail.html the 1200rpm fan can move 61.30CFM and the 1900rpm fan can move 104.54CFM, so using 4 of the 1900rpm fans your moving over 400CFM and that is quite a bit, but if i wanted to i could use the 1200rpm fans and 4 would move over 240CFM, and that is still quite a bit.
    looking at the last few replies i have noticed that almost everyone has had something bad to say, about the project, like im wasting my time, and it will do stuff all, no-one has had anything good to say about it, like, i dont know if it will work how i think it will but good luck anyway.
    i know it might not work, this will be the first try at anything like this, but i am willing to give it a go, and if it is an epic fail, then good on me for trying.
    i would like, from now on in this thread, if you have nothing helpful or nice to say, then click the back button now, and do not post in this thread, and thats to everyone who has been helpful so far.

9. rockit711

rockit711 Member

Just giving some constructive criticism.

how do you plan on getting air *inside* the laptop as most laptops are sealed appart from fan vent holes? by blowing air at it in high volume you may cool the exterior somewhat (exterior is made of plastic which is a very poor thermal conductor), without actually cooling the internal components much.

of course this may be exactly what you want, you were somewhat ambiguous in your original post what your goal was. Most of the cooling trays are merely so you dont burn your legs i would imagine, not to actually cool the laptop components

also something to consider if you plan on powering it off USB you should know that USB will only give you 5V..and also USB ports are current restricted to something like 100mA not alot to power 4 fans from

10. the Fan-Man

the Fan-Man Member

hey dude i remember you from the .... nindeals forums? hmm anywho

10mm fans for 120mm are very hard to come by, ive only seen one so far, rest are normal thickness of the standard case fans. i know about very thin and quiet 80mm fans, for example i am using some to cool my coffe :D boiled water + fans = cool enough for me to drink! its an ADDA DC Brushless AD0812MB-D70 - - 80MM model
    and for a slimline suprisingly it only uses .12A

you know graphics cards and laptop fans. they are your best bet, even when only possibly being 5CM diam max, they still do a good job.

one third idea is to get the thermaltake 250mm side case fan, and use it as a base for the laptop to sit on, so effectively the laptop is sitting on a giant, quiet fan. i went to thailand and bought back 4 of the 250mm fans, cost $1AU over there each!!! :D

this is an example of the 80mm slimline ADDA fans -
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  11. bennyg

bennyg Member

please remember you also need clearance around the fans (under as well) for them to suck the air in that they blow (i hope that made some semblance of sense) so take those CFM with about a kilo of salt

shitty cheap fans + the stress put on them from having no air to suck = a good hypothesis why most cheapo fan coolers die quick :confused: