DIY CNC routers/mills thread

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Dorz, Dec 11, 2012.

1. GregSB

GregSB Member

Thanks for the reply, since you are converting to CNC, will you just be purchasing a "Kit" or "a do it yourself" or "part Kit and do it your self - similar to Hoss"

the reason I ask as I have purchased the Hoss DVD's and been looking at the "http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com" stuff and wondered if the sizes for the G0704 were the same as the TM25

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2013/12/G0704newkit.pdf

thanks

2. pippin88

pippin88 Member

G0704 is different enough from TM machines that most parts are not compatible.

3. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Hey Mate,
    I have my Optimum. BF46 Vario sitting in my garage on it's pedestal, it's over 2 years old but only ever used it for the first time last weekend.

New regional job, buying new house and moving delayed my then planned CNC conversion.

I am however, now ordering the drives and servo motors from DMM. Tech in Canada, sitting in Taipei at the moment, but just received the quote from them and will place the order over the weekend.

I will open a build log as soon as I return from the orient, should provide some nice viewing pleasure....watch this space.

Ps: bring your own popcorn!

Cheers,
    Beano

4. Ch4iS

Ch4iS Member

5. Zenator

Zenator Member

Hi all Im looking at buying a 3 Axis Cnc Router 600x900 any one know of a place in aus, That sell then. I'm in Canberra. looking at spending around 6k max. less would be nicer.

Cheers,
    Zen.

6. hui

hui Member

Does anyone in this thread take custom jobs?

I would like to get a few things machined from graphite or steel for molds to pour metals.

I am happy to pay a reasonable fee. Shoot me a PM if interested.

7. Gazob

Gazob Member

MPCNC - Mostly Printed CNC

FWIW, and Ill post some pictures later, was looking at shapeoko and other diy CNC's and then saw this http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:724999 on thingiverse. And decided to give it a go, it seems a good design, and some of the linked videos show quite difficult routing tasks being performed.

It is made up of 3d printed parts, 3d printer type control boards, motors and belts, and then off the shelf parts like steel / alu tube, skate board bearings etc.

The cost in the US is quite low, in Australia a bit more so, Im using a 25mm alu tube with a 3mm sidewall and that was $50 per 6.5 metre length. I had a full set of electronics, motors, belt, etc floating around from a stalled project so have started printing the pieces. Really just waiting on the printing to end and bearings to arrive from china (next couple of weeks) and it'll be time to put it together.

A guy at work (who also hangs around these forums so may stick his hand up) and I are building at the same time, and as such could cut 3 lengths of tube to minimise waste and maximise size so ours will be 1700 x 900 x 200mm z lift.

I will be using this Makita router https://2ecffd01e1ab3e9383f0-07db7b...x800/35947443-b1e6-4bf9-bd36-751175cd6aeb.jpg with mine, but also have an aldi rotary tool I could try as well.

Don't really have many projects lined up, the wife wants a nice (wood matching the table top somewhat) large lazy susan for the centre of our dining table, and figure that shouldn't be too hard, also once you build something like this the ideas start flowing.

8. MoonShadow

MoonShadow Member

I cheated and bought a second hand one.

Now to learn how to use it.

And buy bits for it.

And make more room for it.

[​IMG]

9. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

you're lucky you managed to fit it in there.... i assume whoever was on the other end carrying it had to climb over to get out :lol:

10. srl

srl Member

I remember seeing a similar machine where they make the cardboard coffins in western Sydney.

srl.

11. MoonShadow

MoonShadow Member

That's as far back as the tow truck could slide it in.

12. emilmh

emilmh Member

Nice. How did it compare to the other DIY kits etc price wise? I found that most industrial second hand stuff was still way more expensive than the brand new high end DIY

13. MoonShadow

MoonShadow Member

$1,000 plus $200 for delivery IIRC.

I've only just started using it for cutting (one really basic thing..). I set up a pen prior to that.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Also had a short video on my phone. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zxq3dZwnVU

14. Revenger

Revenger Member

Looking for advice on a low cost computer controller for use with stuff like Mach3 and LinuxCNC etc.

There's soo much out there most direct from HK/Shenzen etc on eBay etc at all costs, its hard to tell whats good and whats rubbish.

My dad is building a cnc machine and I said Ill help as I could use it for my arcade stuff making the control panels etc, he will use it for making remote controlled model ships and other things.

So we need a controller for a computer if it works in all OS's Windows / Linux / OSX even better.

If it can do USB / Parallel port that's fine also but needs to be versatile and low cost and support the latest OS's.

Recommendations?

15. Ch4iS

Ch4iS Member

16. Revenger

Revenger Member

Yea its a bit much.

My dad is asking on a cnc forum also and was recommended the Ethernet Smoothstepper if we didn't have a controller or UC100 if we did.

I'm also googling and found stuff like the MK CNC devices etc.

Just looking around seeing whats out there and costs.

17. Ch4iS

Ch4iS Member

An unnecessary expense IMO, been using mach 3 + parallel port since 2009 and it has never let me down. C2D pc's can be had for peanuts nowdays or even free from the side of the road, most of which have a parallel port.

If the MK CNC Devices (Planet-CNC?) are what I remember they don't work with mach 3.

18. pippin88

pippin88 Member

Incredible price!!!! Nice one.

19. pippin88

pippin88 Member

LinuxCNC is free and is very stable and fully featured. There are hardware step generation boards available. I used Mesanet boards (though they have been slow shipping in recent months apparently).

20. srl

srl Member

I looked into Mesa boards but found the freight from the US to be too much.:mad:
    I'm now using a Gecko G540 on a over-clocked G3258.

Click to view full size!

srl

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016