DIY CNC routers/mills thread

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Dorz, Dec 11, 2012.

1. MoonShadow

MoonShadow Member

Hey guys, I've not been using my router much (if at all).

If anyone has any little projects they are working on, they are more than welcome to use my router.

1.8x2.4m bed. Located in Ringwood.

It's not very well set up at the moment; I've been screwing my work pieces in to the table. But I am looking at making improvements as the weather warms up.

2. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

I need someting done, please PM.

3. sgtraven

sgtraven Member

Any feedback on these CNC's
    im looking to get one for some light aluminium cnc work and would love some advice on what to look at buying

OX CNC MACHINE Australia
    OX CNC Link

Openbuild plans

4. to4garret

to4garret Member

I am not an expert by any means, i dont even own a cnc yet. but i am interested in buying one soon. hopefully the more knowledgeable will jump in and help.

from my reading so far,

*rigidity is very important if milling harder materials (soft metals included)
    *It seems that in order to cut ali with any reasonable speed and quality you need X, Y's driven by lead screws/ball screws - i've read that the belts stretch/skip
    *An Ebay 3020/6040 with an upgraded controller can be quite good

The design im leaning towards now is this one http://www.openbuilds.com/builds/c-beam-sphinx.3605/

But it seems quite hard to get C-Beam in AU and postage seems quite expensive.

The above is just what i've researched/read by no means based on experience.

5. sgtraven

sgtraven Member

6. sgtraven

sgtraven Member

7. unix

unix Member

Interesting thread. Is there any machines can do both routing/milling & fine etching (e.g. on thin materials such as 1mm acrylic)? I am currently looking at the X-Carve and Carvey machines, however I may venture down the DIY path if I find something suitable.

Also does anyone have any feedback on mechanical CNC machines vs laser?

8. birdie

birdie Member

Has anyone here built a DIY version of the X-Carve? If so what sort of cost can it be built for using eBay parts etc? I haven't seen any sources for the aluminium extrusion they use, but I guess you could use other types?

9. maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

For the guys that have built a CNC machine, how do you compensate for wear of the cutting bit? Presumably part of the coding parameters is the radius of the bit, however if that bit is shrinking as it wears/blunts the finished products would be inconsistent. :confused:

10. roamin

roamin Member

If a cnc machine can do routing / milling, its can defiantly do fine etching. cnc machines can move in .001 to .005mm increments depending on the machine.

so to have a pass depth of .1 or .2mm into acrylic for engraving is a no brainer for any cnc.

i have a xcarve copy which i got from a fella in sydney from www.3dtek.xyz mines been highly modified though with a makita router, x beams joined together with 3d printed parts to make it a lot more rigid to deal with the weight of the makita router and i upgraded the controller from grbl to a soc robotics geny32 controller and run my xcarve runs through mach3 software as thats the type of code and control im used to with industrial machines as i program cnc for my work on big 5 axis cnc machines.

11. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Hi guys,

I'm after a cnc so if you have anything for sale or any recommendations please contact me.

cheers

12. MoonShadow

MoonShadow Member

I'm hoping to sell my router. It's damn big and damn heavy so it might be too far for you, but if anyone else is interested...

13. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

What have you got mate? I can make a trip down, I figure I am going to have to anyway being in woop woop. :(

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  14. aXis

aXis Member

I finally got my Cyclone PCB Factory mill working on the weekend! Autolevelling works a treat and I was able to mill 0.1mm to 0.15mm deep isolation traces despite the substrate being up to 0.2mm out of flat.

It's only got a small workspace but was well priced and the initial boards it's made look great. Some tweaking still required to get it perfect but I'm very happy overall.

Blank board:

Click to view full size!

Hole Drilling:

Click to view full size!

Finished board:

Click to view full size!

15. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Very nice. Expensive?

16. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

wow, that looks great.

17. aXis

aXis Member

Nah, maybe $280ish including the spindle.

The frame is mostly 3D printed, and then you kit it out with linear bearings, smooth rod, threaded rod, steppers etc.

I was particularly impressed with how all of the parts fit together with minimal post processing. Often with 3D printing you need to trim a little to account for oozing etc, but this was spot on.

See http://reprap.org/wiki/Cyclone_PCB_Factory and https://github.com/CarlosGS/Cyclone-PCB-Factory

18. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

19. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

20. MoonShadow

MoonShadow Member

Yeah, mine. Stuck it up on Gumtree for a lot more than I want. I'd be happy with $3,000. I'll send you a PM.

I have an offer from someone at work for $2,000 -- but I am trying my luck getting a little more before I accept that.