DIY CNC routers/mills thread

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Dorz, Dec 11, 2012.

1. ericks

ericks Member

Thanks.....it sure does:)

2. PheonixV2

PheonixV2 Member

Large amount of mechanical components arrived yesterday, very excited to finally be able to get to work assembling my CNC.
    It was a shipment of the linear rails (SBR20) and ballscrews, I decided to go for the 2005 because I like rigidity haha.
    Unfortunately it seems like when the suppliers machined the ballscrews to size, they didn't clean them before putting the bearings on, and now they're crusty and gummed up. Plus there are nicks and scraps along the screw as well as large file marks on the bearing itself.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Not gonna lie, I'm very disappointed. Sent off a few emails and pictures of the screws to hopefully get them replaced, because these are unusable.
    Has anyone had similar experiences?

3. aXis

aXis Member

I wouldn't think that dent makes them unusable, the balls run in the valleys not the peaks yeah? But in general I agree, one of the hazards of cheap parts from overseas. I had something similar with a whole bunch of grit through draw runners.

4. PheonixV2

PheonixV2 Member

That dent won't affect performance, it's just indicative of the rest of the quality :\
    The official response so far is that "the new employees don't know how to use the machines" when making parts. Always love my stuff to be made by the new guy

5. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

pics arnt showing up on post #162

6. echineon

echineon Member

can I post request for cnc'ing a 2.6mm POM plastic bit in here? I have the stl but 3d print with petg is quite weak. small dimension around 90mm x 90mm x 2.6mm, metal or PMMA POM plastic either way. Or please help point me to shop (in sydney) or thread would be great.

7. archie

archie Member

8. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

FYI first things to go on machines like those tend to be the switches, including main power switch (I've seen them melt on Chinese imports), limit switches and e-stop. I would recommend replacing all with a reputable brand, wouldn't cost you much if you have a sparky mate you can lean on to do the install. Other than that you should get a reasonable run out of it.

What pirated software did it ship with? :lol:

9. archie

archie Member

lol actually.
    e-stops have already been changed.
    limit switches are original.
    earthing to everything has been added :lol:
    water cooling with a "bucket" has been changed to an air cooled radiator with car coolant in it.
    the parallel connection has been changed to a USB one and using sheetcam pro which I'll buy a license for shortly (our job is still under the threshold for a free version) but its excellent software and deserves to be paid for

10. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

Haha nice one, show us some results!

11. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Not a router or a mill but thought a few of you old-school guys might enjoy this.

[​IMG]

It needs some work, you can track progress at my other thread here

mad_mic3 likes this.
  12. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

It is traditionally a metal lathe but with the right additional spindle, loader and feed it can easily be converted for horizontal and vertical milling.

13. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Yes I have been looking for that attachment for a while or I could DIY, would be handy until I get a real mill.

14. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

It’s not exactly hard and you don’t need to source absolutely expensive parts to turn it into a horizontal or vertical mill. There are guides and parts online even on ebay should you wish to access to those parts. Then again if I had space I’d keep a metal lathe and mill separate, they aren’t exactly expensive on the used market up to reasonable sizes and brands, 5-6ft bed lathes can be had for few hundred on gumtree, same with mills. Stuff only gets expensive when you move up to 2-3 ton bridgeports and better industrial 4-5 axis cnc mills.

15. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Sure, you can get large machines at fairly reasonable prices problem is picking them up and moving, then finding somewhere to put it. Out of realms of hobbyist unless you are on a farm and want to make tractor parts or something. Looking for a little hercus 0 mill (but limited vertical) or something around that size from hafco. There are a few online - these guys make a decent one, but i'd just stick around for a boxford one on the cheap or something given its limited use.
    https://www.lprtoolmakers.com.au/vertical-slide-milling-attachment-5-x-4-includes-vice-for-lathe/

Did someone say CNC mill?
    [​IMG]
    Bridgeport clone, there are a few bridgeports behind being converted cool stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2019
    mad_mic3 likes this.
  16. underskore

underskore Member

One of the machines at work is a very similar BP clone (kingrich kr-...) with a prototrak controller for the bed/table (with manual z...)
    It's a frustrating machine to program for (either on machine or in CAM) but just today I helped out our machinist with an adaptive program and we had it humming through a stack of heavy cuts in 304 today - actually getting near proper 'hsm' numbers.
    the ability to use it manually is also great (it's lightyears ahead our cheap hafco) and if I was ever in the position to do a conversion on a similar machine I would sure as shit be trying to keep the manual control option - but then again, decent on-machine programming could make manual control redundant but ti would be a bit of a learning curve to get used to programming basic single operation odd jobs.

HorrorLand likes this.
  17. rockofclay

rockofclay Member

Anyone have any recommendations for a machine similar to the MPCNC? Looking to repurpose bits from an old Mendel i2 printer into a low cost CNC. Would love to be able to do Aluminium, but that might be asking too much.