DIY custom sleeving

Discussion in 'Modding' started by rubricae, Sep 16, 2017.

1. rubricae

rubricae Member

Hey guys, currently looking into getting my own gear to custom sleeve PSU various other cables with paracord.

In terms of crimps, is there a specific size that I need for ATX/EPS/PCIE etc pins, where can I get em and else do I need?

Currently sourcing parts of Aliexpress as I'd guess that's the cheapest place to get most stuff for what I assume would be identical to specific 'mod' sites.

Another tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. emmjawsX

emmjawsX Member

ATX/EPS, PCI-E and SATA/Molex are generally either 16awg or 18awg (16 on higher end/higher capacity units). Fans i believe are 20 or 22 with 26 for the really thin front panel.

Pin remover tools might come in handy as well if you are doing a lot of wires.

3. AllezAllez

AllezAllez Member

You'll need:

ATX pins: I use these as the quality is good and they're "local". Singularity computers
    Pin remover: I use the Lamptron one because the tips are replaceable.
    Molex crimping tool: Engineer is a good brand. Get model PA-21
    Lots and lots of heat shrink: Get much more than you think you need. Either to have as spare or to aid in doing the heat shrink sleeving method.
    Some sort of lighter: I use a mini butane torch as the heat is easier to direct

Nice to have would be a couple of spare connectors for anything you're doing. 24pin, EPS etc. You're bound to get a pin stuck in the connector at some point and fishing them out without the wire is a PITA. Having a spare means a quick swap - your hands will thank you for spending that $1 on an extra connector.

4. harrye30

harrye30 Member

If you're interested in purchasing a bulk lot of connectors/pins let me know. I believe I have a spare Molex crimping tool as well.

5. OP
    OP
    rubricae

rubricae Member

Cheers guys, Bought a bunch of connectors and paracord off aliexpress now, still trying to source a molex crimp that isn't priced insanely high.

Might be interested in some extra pins and the molex crimp - PM me?

6. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

7. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

8. OP
    OP
    rubricae

rubricae Member

Cheers guys - though honestly not a fan of more plastic-looking sleeving, which is why I love paracord as it's more a textile finish.

Also damn crimps are bloody expensive haha.

9. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Nylon monofilament sleeving also give off a high quality finish.

10. cesario

cesario Member

Im the same, I much prefer the paracord look, i got mine from camscords.com.au which have a crazy variety, good prices and quick delivery (either look at 550 or 3-4mm i found works well). I think i paid $22 for my crimps on ebay (HT-255D) and they are awesome and perform perfect crimps every time (apart from user error :p ), great for a hobbyist like myself.

11. OP
    OP
    rubricae

rubricae Member

Cheers for the link - ordered soley through aliexpress so far and as nice as the prices are, waiting 6 weeks for something to arrive can kinda kill motivation. Aprox how long does camscords take to deliver for you on average?

12. cesario

cesario Member

yeh, i hate waiting for stuff to arrive as I will often buy on impulse and if it doesnt arrive before the impulse drive dies stuff just ends up in the garage lol
    I believe cams cords are Bris based and im in Syd, normally 1-2 days to get to me, iv done about 7-8 orders so far and will be more in the future, iv actually gone a little para crazy and sleeved my powerboard/ext cable, network cables and some random peripherals for my setup too

13. asho444

asho444 Member

14. OP
    OP
    rubricae

rubricae Member

I can definitely see myself doing the same ahahah. What diameter paracord do you need to be able to sleeve standard mains cables or ethernet/cat6?

Managed to grab exactly that one second hand but unused from a bloke on another site for $50 - probably same price or close to that with shipping. Works consistently leaving strong crimps.

15. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Not sure if its just me but I find that paracord attracts Dust more than standard sleeving, that and its harder to install.

16. cesario

cesario Member

Been using paracord for 5-6 years now, no complaints from my end. It's a user preference thing not a 'which is better' thing