1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

DIY Portable PC

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by neRok, Sep 18, 2016.

1. OP
    OP
    neRok

neRok Member

Wow, you guys are hard to please. I thought the cables were well managed. They are all tucked down in the corner out the way :p

I didn't mention it, but I wanted this to be cheap but effective. ITX mobo at my local PC shop are twice the price that I paid for this, and then the equivalent priced CPU (G4400) is marginally better CPU performance wise, and far worse GPU performance wise. It just didn't seem worth it.

I will look into getting one of those pico PSU though. Looks pretty epic. I would be able to get a much smaller box, and not have to re-assemble anything (not that it's hard plugging in a PSU).

2. Lem0n

Lem0n Member

Ignore the haters in this thread, it's great to see you doing something creative and just for the fun of it.

One of the reasons this forum is dying is because the number of interesting DIY threads has dropped, and with replies like in this thread, I'm not surprised people don't want to post anymore!

3. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

I love builds like this. Best part about them is they piss people off, examples, this thread. :D

My only input is you should slap an HP sticker on the box, for reasons.

4. OP
    OP
    neRok

neRok Member

I have done some more mods to the PC. I did cut up the lid so the PSU is permanently installed in the box, and also cut some holes for CPU and PSU vents. I decided against the pico-PSU, because it meant spending more money and it didn't really seem that important.

The PC also survived the trip in the bottom of my luggage (I am using the PC right now). I just unplugged the wifi card, and slipped the mobo with cables still connected into the anti-static bag it came with.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  5. TaroT

TaroT Member

6. AntikytheraBB

AntikytheraBB Member

looks good functional.

if you think you might ever want to use the connector pins at the top right edge of that last photo, consider protecting them. I was thinking getting a connector for each one and putting it on. perhaps cutting the wires off to make it more compact if you have spare connectors.

7. BigMah

BigMah New Member

This is so cheap and stingy, I love it :p

8. Narcoticx2

Narcoticx2 Member

I really like it. A few more cable ties and a ghetto handle and it's something i'd use for a long time.

9. i7Baby

i7Baby Member

A laptop now starts to look better. But depends on your budget.

You can use a laptop for other than just this lan party (?) use.

10. bYrd

bYrd Member

Come on, a plastic tub PC hardly will re-invigorate the fine art of case modding :D