DIY Solar panel setup on a budget

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Mathuisella, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Sunder

Sunder Member

Err 25? No, that's not enough. 12v x 100Ah = 1200wh. But if you want them to last, you can only use 600wh.

So you need roughly 50 if you want them to last.

Like Recharge said. It's going to be more than you want to pay for. To put it into context, I use about half of what you're proposing to use - And my wife owns an electric car, and I own an electric motorcycle.

1300w is not a lot of power. But 1300w over 24 hours, even with zero buffer (Someone else pointed out - rainy days?), is a huge amount of energy.

2. aXis

aXis Member

1300W constantly 24/7 is more than a typical household's total average consumption. People spend $20k - $40k to get an off grid system that big.

If you have access to mains then skip the batteries and go for a 2kW -ish grid connect system for around $3k. It will only supply during the day but because there are less parts and you use nearly 100% of the power the payback will be shorter, maybe 5 years.

3. Recharge

Recharge Member

making power isn't expensive via solar (considering), storing it, forget it, it's insane.
    I agree, as big a system as you can both afford and that your state grid owner will allow you to put up (it varies area to area as the grid is a friken mess and one local grid can only handle so much solar input so it depends on how many already have solar in it and what it's wiggle room is)
    min 6KW if your roof is faced the right way, ~3-6 grand depending on who does it and what kind of quality you want.
    here in QLD, I'd always go with origin, as they're every unlikely to fold so you warranty will be good. (in fact, they transfered the warranty on my existing panels to me from the previous owner, which is amazing) and a top tier inverter, the best you can get, as it's got to last if you want your ROI to hold for ~4-5 years.

solar is most worth it if you can use the power during the day to offset your normal usage, even the best feed in is shit and will take longer for ROI.
    we're home all the time so we use all out solar, I'd like more and plan to upgrade in the next 3 years before the home loan goes variable.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  4. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Yeah a plain solar might be the go for me, I'm also limited to 5kw solar but I don't think any will go back to the grid anyway.. i have mining gear running so cutting the peak consumption would be useful.

I was hoping it might be feasible to run one miner off solar 24/7 but I was wanting wrong on that one.

:)

5. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

Not even close. Power is cheap. CONSTANT power is ridiculously expensive.

6. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

I never realised it was that expensive .... Forget that ...

7. aXis

aXis Member

Might be an interesting option to start and stop the miner processes to match your excess power generation.

8. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

So only run it when it's sunny? That will cut it down to about $2 a day return (per miner) .... But yes it would not add to the electricity bill. I guess you could run heaps of them during daytime only so it's basically free.

9. mtma

mtma Member

Depends on how you calculate your hardware costs. If you've purchased hardware specifically to mine, then you are competing with others for the ROI so only running the hardware ~8-10 hours a day average over the course of a year is going to erode your earnings considerably, as the time before your hardware becomes market non-competitive remains the same regardless of whether you are 24/7 or not. The guys running 24/7 are going to be much further ahead even if they've paid for energy from the grid.