1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

DIY Solar panel setup on a budget

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Mathuisella, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Stanza

Stanza Member

Meh not a good test in my opinion.

Battery obviously was nearly full, and we didn’t get to see how quick the Victron was and tracking/locking on to mppt

which I know from using they are very quick at.

2. Recharge

Recharge Member

my grumbling while watching it too.

3. Recharge

Recharge Member

could do with a bit of modding to cool the mosfets but otherwise, looks like it could be not shit.

aXis likes this.
  4. Stanza

Stanza Member

I would still go with the Victron knockoffs fangpusun

I had 7 of them, sold 6 on to a mate and they are still going strong (7th one I killed from my own stupidity)

5. Recharge

Recharge Member

6. Stanza

Stanza Member

This seller on AliExpress

Wenzhou Xihe Electric Co., Ltd.
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_dTtYVtD

send em a message and ask if they have the old blue controllers

eg 100v 50a jobbie

I know they hide everything now, as I guess Victron has been hammering they about the counterfeits?

7. Stanza

Stanza Member

Ask for

blue mppt100/50a

they also do the bms clone as well 797B6F7A-C615-4A28-A9B7-ECB8C861C61F.jpeg D3F6129D-C6B4-418C-BF26-B9DF07AD1EE4.jpeg

8. Stanza

Stanza Member

Like I said they work great.... obviously can’t update firmware etc as the serials don’t exist on Victron site

7CE88643-D9C5-4F30-803D-188B4E334C95.jpeg

Pic of when I had 4 going before I switched over to Morningstar that I found cheap

9. Recharge

Recharge Member

excellent, thank you.

10. slavewone

slavewone Member

Here is my budget solar panel setup.

• 20w panel
    • Little mppt cv/ca step down converter- deluxe model with 2 Displays. Happy as long as output is less than input bar one caveat I haven’t the guts to test.
    • 6-26v to USB adapter
    • USB to 4x micro USB
    • Batteries

I’ll flatten a phone and see how much charge I can get into it tomorrow.

I can also see if a 12v to USB from the car is any more/ less efficient.

image.jpg

11. HSV_Enigma

HSV_Enigma Member

Nicely done, I am interested in this as many solar inverters use this type of interface. I am fairly sure my grid tied solar inverter's factory WiFi dongle is just an ESP in disguise judging by the MAC address.

12. Recharge

Recharge Member

just for a bit of fun, you rage, you lose edition.

I totally lost.

13. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

he used a 12V inverter and lead acid batteries, and of all things, bought solar panels on wish. :p

and that trailer hitch, so legit. He'll never get pulled over with that. The wind will get him first :p

14. Recharge

Recharge Member

note the cables on top of the panels as well...

15. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

:O He used zip ties to fasten that structure to the trailer.....

16. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

I am ordering DIYBMS v4 controller PCB's and 25 odd cell modules next week from JLCPCB. they do most of the SMT for you, theres only one surface mount IC to solder (SOIC 16) which I have done before. Only because its out of stock. I'd rather do the SOIC 16's rather than those fly poo sized resistors that ping off into nowhere when your least expecting.

I will then have a bms suitable for my 180Ah 12V LFP, and enough cell modules to do a 16S, along with a few spare cell modules. The controller connects to WiFi (not IoT though, that would be bad) so you can monitor the battery in realtime on another device connected to WiFi. I'll be putting a seperate VLAN up for them so they're not exposed to the internet.

These LFP's are crazy. My solar panels are leaning up against the wall out of the way (theres sweet FA generation this time of year unless they're on the roof) and the batteries have only just reached <3.2V per cell. I will be bringing them back up to storage level and disconnecting the distribution device with bluetooth readout so I can put it all in a box once my order from JLCPCB arrives.

Adam Welch has buit the modules by hand, but JLCPCB offer a service with most of the SMT's installed, bar that SOIC 16. Same goes for the Controller. I'll be getting them to pre assemble as my eyesight is really only through hole component rated :p
    [yt][/yt]

If I stick a pocket wifi into the box along with the batteries, the conversation on camping trips might be "where that bloody wifi signal coming from?" other mate "oh thats bens battery, not only does it supply us with light and radio power, it also broadcaststs wifi for us." hehe

edit: board have been produced. My battery is getting a top up from AC as sun has been crappy lately. Normally see 10-15 amps going in, and I'm lucky to get 2 and its not my panels or CC. So ac charger it is. I should have the board this week. I have some sundries to solder on like th ATTiny 841 and the Wemos unit on the controller, but then my 12V pack will be web connected and I can ditch the shitty ebay so called "coloumb counter". My LVD worked as it should, disconnecting all loads at 12.4 volts, which is 30% remaining. I'll be wiring in a manual override if I need any of that 30%. The screen on the coloumb counter was reading 0V, and I couldn't work out why :p

I find thes LiFePo4's rather amusing. They sit at 13.2 (3.29 pc) volts for EVER, gobbling 10A from my AC charger and the voltage doesn't move a bit. I guess I'll need to put back in around 140Ah, so I'll be stopping the charge tonight when I go to bed at around 75Ah put back in. I will resume tomorrow until I hit 13.8V, then let them rest. Only once I have the bms will I cycle them between 2.8 and 3.50 v per cell.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  17. Recharge

Recharge Member

18. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

What an ingenious design - no motors, controllers, anything. So no power consumed to move the mount. Just powered by the sun. It does have a miss ration of 1 in 6 days it won't track correctly, but if your short on space, it can make up for lost production on a static mount.

19. Recharge

Recharge Member

20. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

So my BMS boards have arrived. The soldering job on these is top notch - "like a bought one". I've ordered new paste to solder on the ATTiny841 SSU IC's as mine is 6 years old, well out of date :)

Typically, the parts I want 1 of, which is a green LED, come in minimum orders of 25 on ebay. I bought 100PC's for $6.50 of all colours in the 3mm format.

The part I want in bulk (2 pin JST to bare ends) comes in lots of 10. I want 50 so I have spares. I can buy them in lots of 50, but the delivery timeframe suggests its a typical chinese seller lying about the location of the pigtails. I don't want to wait 6 weeks to hook up my BMS.

Luckily the 18650 "test" cells came in singular units. I took 3 plus a spare for my torch, and a 4 cell holder that was nearby. Due to the massive capacity of my LFP's, testing would take ages with those. Using 3 2.5Ah cells will give results quickly, after which I can reprogram the cell mons to lifepo4 config, and put them into service.

RS Components site (which I bought my paste, tip cleaner and ATTiny's from), really stinks. You fill in your credit card number thinking like most sites, it has automatic card identification routine, and by about the 6th digit, would pick Mastercard, only it doesn't, and lets you fill in 15 of the 16 digits before you realise you need to manually tell it what card type you have. When you do this, it wipes the fields. FU RS!! :p

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020