DIY top quality Windsurfer Wifi Antenna Booster

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by imf, Oct 28, 2010.

1. imf

imf Member

Hey modders, a few months ago I DIYed my own Windsurfer (Free Wifi Antenna Booster) google it if u dont know what's a windsurfer antenna

made it from plastic sheet and some 1cm copper tape instead of pure paper..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have 2x asus n12 with DD-WRT firmware and ONLY the router inside my room has the Windsurfer on it. The two routers are 15-20m apart, in between the two routers 3 wooden door, 1 concrete wall, 2 glass windows.

I'm currently getting a signal quality of 40%, signal -62, noise -82, SNR 20 and the two routers are connecting at 104-117mbps constantly.

Windsurfer works great.

Since the router upstair is the main broadcaster for all wifi connections around the house (my room's one is a repeater bridge for myself only), I am not planning to put another windsurfer on it because it will make the data directional and not omni directional.

I'm planning to get some higher quality sma antenna to replace the 2dbi default ones on asus n-12 router.

Anyone has experience which antenna to get?

2. Paul Warren

Paul Warren Member

3. tin

tin Member

Upstairs serves downstairs too? Don't get higher gain omnis!
    Gain means shape. Higher means more directional.

4. OP
    OP
    imf

imf Member

yeah, upstair broadcast to downstair as well... well, at least for the link between upstair router to downstair router, because they are connected as a bridge

what u mean by mean shape antenna??? what do they look like? I only know the ones on ebay lolz

5. Dave2972

Dave2972 Member

Basically, you have a parabolic reflector for your vertical antennas. A beer/soft drink can could have been used as well for the reflector, with a bit of cutting and bending. The only concern is the plastic bit that is holding the reflector near the antenna. Plastic is a dielectric and can change the impedance a bit.

But since it works, then have fun!

6. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

I have some serious doubts on the true performance gains. I feel someone has a little more of the placebo effect and I shall briefly explain;

Assuming that you are only using the 2.4GHz spectrum (it's all the RT-N12 does), the wavelength for this is about 125mm. Now to get a true reflector working at best, you need to have the antenna half-wave in-front of the driven antenna. Now you also need to ensure the reflector is the same size (vertical length/height in your case) as the antenna itself.

Your strips of copper need to run vertical and be moved a little further away from the antenna.

The other gains that maybe being seen are most likely from running a tweaked firmware.

Not saying it won't/doesn't work, just saying that at that range, you should have a connection without aids. This would be possible with reflected RF (2.4GHz reflects well off hard surfaces) and the devices doing what they are supposed to and that is MIMO although, the routers in question are on the basic side with only either single/dual radios rather than the triple required for full and true wireless N MIMO.

7. OP
    OP
    imf

imf Member

Well too bad I guess u are wrong, it works bloody well... having a signal focused always works. That's how people can get Wifi network to work a few KM away... because they got the signal focused. When the signal is focused it reduces the SNR and noise and hence increase the speed.

look at the test I put up.

[​IMG]

The best reflector is a Cantenna, but that thing take more space and look ugly. But with a Cantenna u can get ur wifi network working 5-6KM away, given both router has Cantenna and a direct sight of line.

yes metal works the best, people use cardboard paper to make some cheap ones and they still give 2-3 dbi gain. Mesh metal will be the best I read on reviews but that's why I stick on copper strips for the reflection and it is working out pretty good

I do agree my reflectors aint big enough and I shall make something 50-100% bigger for even better reception, but I didn't have a big enough plastic sheet.

yes, u can get a connection without it, but it will be very shitty. the other router is 20m away and its upstair inside like a 2cm thick wooden draw and many other things in between.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2010
  8. ShaneHm2

ShaneHm2 Member

Looks awesome

9. OP
    OP
    imf

imf Member

if I make bigger version, and get a 5dbi antenna, it will be even better.

PEOPLE, don't get any antenna more than 5dbi, it is no use to ran a 30cm long antenna unless u DD-WRTed ur router and set the TX transmission power to the highest (which will burn the router) lolz... (for 9dbi 30cm long antenna, u need to run an POWERED signal amplifier to get the most out of it)

if u google, u will know the optimal antenna for any router 5-6dbi ones.

10. tensop

tensop Member

gain is independant of tx power

11. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

I would suggest you move out of you home and into the real world of RF (radio) and see the errors of your statements, then also see that you are arguing with images of you getting a lower noise floor at the Rx. end even though you haven't gained any signal at the Rx., just a lower noise at time of the snap-shot. If the reflector was working for you they way it is supposed to, the Rx. signal would have improved.

Focussing RF is another word for Gain. As for a few KM away, LOL, try over 350KM on non-amped domestic gear, You won't see any shitty catennas.....
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/19/venezuelans-set-new-wifi-distance-record-237-miles
    http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2007/06/w_wifi_record_2/

Maybe if you used antennas tuned for the frequency rather than random lengths or unmatched set-ups then you would see less need to jack power and risk cooking the PA stage with high VSWR.

Just a little inside tip for you, DD-WRT has been well known for years being very crappy of the claimed power/signal levels for years. If you beleive it, it will claim 250mW at full bore. Trust me when I (I know you won't) say that the PA will smoke long before it.

If stopped living in Google and forums of people who are out of their depths, go and learn it then you would know to stop claiming what antenna gains are best and start working on what designs are best as well as how to use them.

My 2 cents worth, you can now decide to either put head back in the sand or take the time to learn rather than use stupid or false/misleading evidence to argue petty shit.

12. OP
    OP
    imf

imf Member

arrrr??? a decrease in Noise Floor = improve of Signal Quality and connection for Wifi u know. DD-WRT doesn't show Tx Rate and Rx Rate coz some routers it won't show. Do u use DD-WRT? hrmmm :wired:

and that Wifi that goes 100+km used some special Intel Long WiFi software that modified a WiFi signal so it can transfer 100+km across with a pair of HUGE ass dish...

Normal laptop or equipment without that Intel Software won't be able to pick up and decode the modified wifi signal.

And Also, The signal improvement I have is not just snapshot, I took away the reflectors for 7-8 min and do a snapshot, and put it back for 7-8 min and took the next snap

The Thing is, its free and its works. This mod simply just turn a Omni directional antenna into a directional antenna. The Main Function of this router is to link up with the router upstair so I can get better and more stable Wifi bridge for gaming. And it is working regardless people saying it is not.

Well, the best is actually TRY for YOURSELF and see if it works =]

Its free to make if u have some cardboard, plastic and foil at home. :thumbup:

===================================

Here is a simple reasoning for a reflector and the better signal it can improve

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  13. tensop

tensop Member

don't try to recreate radio theory from scratch, it's all well and truely documented :p

14. Dave2972

Dave2972 Member

You are way off, here. A parabolic reflector does not need to be a half-wave length back from the receiver antenna, it just has to have its curve adjusted for the focal length.

Thus, a parabolic reflector can be easily accommodated using a typical element spacing as used in a yagi antenna.

The OP's use of horizontal copper strips behind a vertical antenna is not good practice as their polarity is different but since the widths of the strips is quite wide, they will have a positive effect.

A better reflector could have been made from an aluminium can, but that is probably a project for another day.

If the OP is happy with the performance and it works as he desires then that is all that matters - if his reflectors enable the wireless network to work at its maximum speed then there is little point in taking things further, nor making a better reflector.

15. Dave2972

Dave2972 Member

16. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

What a load of cods whallop.

17. OP
    OP
    imf

imf Member

yes Boobs. I like too =D

too bad I didn't have enough plastic sheet to make a bigger reflector, but these works good enough, the reflectors MUST be tweaked and face a certain direction to get the 104Mbps speed, otherwise, it will be 52Mbps, or 78Mbps.

So some manual positioning tweaking is required.

But without the reflectors, hack, I get 5-10Mbps at max and I drop out of my online games every 5-10 minutes.

So I can say these reflectors do work in the real world if u made them nicely.

making it from a can or mesh will be best but I don't have extra $$$ to invest in it lolz...

coz I just bought some a Sony MDR-7506 headphone and a Indeed G2 Headphone Valve Tube Amp a few days ago lolz... that's 1/2 week of salary gone.

18. KonMan

KonMan Member

For an extra 100 Megabit connection, place tin-foil hat on head to focus brain waves :D

..but another option (depending on $$) is Ethernet over power.

19. Linkin

Linkin Member

Cantennas and Windsurfers... I've made the former, but not the latter. Maybe once aI mvoe I will experiment again :cool:

Nice work too.

20. edzknows

edzknows Member

I can vouche for the windsurfer reflectors. I made one out of a4 paper and aluminium kitchen foil.
    The reception from the router to the wireless g usb stick went from almost unusable to quite decent (looking at windows rating, it went from ~2 bars to ~4-5 (almost full)).
    An even bigger gain was had from putting a similar reflector around the usb stick end (rather then the router).