dj equipment hire

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by pavlos, Feb 1, 2005.

1. pavlos

pavlos Member

anyone know any good places to hire dj equipment that are relatively cheap...

im after a pair of self-powered speakers and a cdj100, ive got everything else...

dj village seem to be the best so far, with $88 for the speakers and $27.50 for the cdj, and i dont have to return the stuff until monday if i hire for sat night...

cheers

2. DJ Fusion

DJ Fusion Member

You should buy some Behringer Truths from eBay, totally awesome active DJ monitors for about $450.

3. SquarkyD

SquarkyD Member

why would he want those? he's after FOH style PA speakers as far as i can tell to hire.

also truths have the harshest top end, shop around, fostex PM1's are worth the extra cash hands down

4. OP
    OP
    pavlos

pavlos Member

nah dont want to buy anything, just need to hire some Self-Powered PA style speakers and Pioneer CDJ-100 for a 21st on Saturday night, I've already got the rest of the Gear, 2x Vinyl decks, another CDJ, 4 channel mixer, mic & a lappy for automix if i pass out lol

5. DJ Fusion

DJ Fusion Member

My bad, sorry! :)

Lol! :p

No way! Mine have a crystal clean non-fatiguiing high-end which is surprising for a titanium tweeter. Which model did you demo? It's likely the ones you heard weren't calibrated to the room shape/size.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  6. SquarkyD

SquarkyD Member

The 8" actives, and they were in an acousticlly null (not totally obviously, but it was a studio room for reference listening) room and sounded horrible. Go have a listen to some fostex, JBL, KRK or Dynacoustic monitors and compare them to the truths - most shops will have them all setup for comparison - you will be suprised at just how much the truths lack when you open up the competition.

disclaimer - yes all those brands make more expensive monitors, but look at their lower end product (around the 1k mark) for fair comparison.

7. DJ Fusion

DJ Fusion Member

Well you'd expect the Fostex to sound better considering they're more than twice the price.

For under $500 the Truths still can't be beaten imo, they get favourably compared to the Mackies in my friends studio more then anything (I can clearly hear the tonal similarities), and you're the first person I've ever heard refer to them as horrible - in fact, (at the risk of sounding too flamey in a thread where I just started off trying to offer advice) if you truly think these are horrible sounding speakers like you just said then I would hate to have your ears dude.:p

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  8. SquarkyD

SquarkyD Member

u sure u dont want my ears :p

i'm a systems engineer for a rather large audio company and happen to have some good ears (with test results to confirm :))

i'm more critical than most - true, but "for the money" i reckon spending an extra $300 gets you much much better results.

9. DJ Fusion

DJ Fusion Member

Hey cool job man! :)

I definitely don't want your ears now, I'm far too happy with my $450 bedroom DJ speakers and I don't want to ruin them with over-critical listening. :p

10. SquarkyD

SquarkyD Member

on a serious note - yes it can become annoying, i'd like to enjoy a gig without analyzing the audio, doing that is the hardest thing ever :(

at the end of the day tho - whatever sounds best to u that u can afford, is the winner :)