DJI Mavic Mini - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Azrael, Nov 9, 2019 at 3:48 PM.

1. Azrael

Azrael Member

Been thinking about getting a new drone for some random photography on the side, only hobby stuff these days.

The new Mavic Mini has me interested, as most of the bits they have stripped out aren't really features that i want, and the <250g nature of it is very useful given the proposed RPA regs: https://consultation.casa.gov.au/regulatory-program/pp1816us/

I guess the one big thing it loses over the Mavic Air is the collision avoidance, but I figure with the skills i have gained in drone racing that is less than important.

Anyone else thinking about getting one?

2. Athiril

Athiril Member

Thinking about it, but also the new zohd dart 250g

Mavic Mini lacks DNG and only has auto camera settings iirc.

also as far as I know the registration will be pretty easy itself, and even under 250g the same CASA rules apply just sans registration. So it doesn’t allow you to fly anywhere that you can’t also fly with heavier drones.

Also it’s unclear if our models will have CE software limitations, hardware wise at least ours will be FCC models.

3. koss

koss Member

I like the idea that it's only 249gm. I dislike the idea that it's WiFi only which means the range sux.

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Thought about the mini also recently because there have been some great deals on them. But the range is less. In practicality this may not be an issue, but it makes me just a little uncertainly whether the mini is right for me right now.

5. Athiril

Athiril Member

This is the range for the various models.

• Model MR1SS5
      5.8 GHz: 4000 m (FCC); 2500 m (SRRC)
      Model MR1SD25
      2.4 GHz: 2000 m (MIC/CE)
      5.8 GHz: 500 m (CE)

ncsa likes this.
  6. apsilon

apsilon Member

I'll almost certainly buy one but probably not until next year. I think supply in the Xmas rush is going to be short and I think if you want one you'll have to pay RRP. I know some places have been selling under RRP but they have no actual stock and I've heard DJI aren't happy so don't expect them to get more than whatever stock they've initially been allocated any time soon.

If I happen to see one sitting on a shelf at the right price I might grab it otherwise I'm happy to wait a few months. Having never had a drone before I think it'll be a good starter.

7. caspian

caspian Member

I would expect ours to be CE nerfed by geolocation in the software. lack of Occusync is a real limitation to range and air-to-ground video quality, but there's nowhere to fit the hardware or required cooling into such a small platform.

not a fan of the bolt-on prop blades, and I question the need for the additional weight/cost/potential weakness of the folding arms compared to a spark which is already small enough to carry in a small case with everything included.

the upgraded camera and better gimbal are a nice addition, but I see these as a Spark II. they also make the Air more or less redundant.

8. Hater

Hater Member

Hmm I have wanted drone footage

I have no desire to learn how to fly one though

Maybe i'll use this as a chance to get a Spark really cheap

9. apsilon

apsilon Member

Not sure you can still buy the Spark. It disappeared from all the retailers I checked the day the Mini was released.

10. Hater

Hater Member

I only buy things brand new if i'm 100% sure i'll use it all the time. Got stung with the (useless) Osmo Pocket.

11. havabeer

havabeer Member

How does the mini go in the wind?

12. caspian

caspian Member

it appears you are correct about the Spark being pulled. https://ww.dronedj.com/2019/11/01/why-dji-mavic-mini-replacing-dji-spark/

wind spec is 8m/s. not bad for a small aircraft, I've had my MP up in 12m/s (about 43kph) and it was getting a bit alarming how much it was heeling with the gusts. I've had my Spark flying in consistent wind enough that it was having to apply max angle just to hover in normal mode, stick movement did nothing without sport mode enabled.