DLP/DMD chips

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by weee ben, Jun 11, 2015.

1. weee ben

weee ben Member

Hi all,

Can someone confirm if DLP's & DMD's are the same thing?
    From what I understand, this is a DLP..

[​IMG]

This is a DMD?

[​IMG]

or are they both DLP/DMD and just have different applications?
    I'm wondering how I can label the second one to define it differently to the first.

2. mtma

mtma Member

DLP is a trade-name of Texas Instruments. DMD is the general acronym for the MEMs device that DLP is composed of.

However, TI have generally been so successful that DLP and DMD are more or less used interchangeably these days.

I wouldn't stress it; certainly if you're selling product it would be important to avoid the trade name if it isn't actually in your product, but otherwise...

Incidentally, the picture of the DMD is really just the module upside down so you see the pins and don't see the micromirror surface.

3. OP
    OP
    weee ben

weee ben Member

Yes I believe TI are one of them tech' companies that are spoon fed alien technology to keep 'em at the top, but that's another kind of forum :)

I don't have the bottom one to show the difference but since posting i've got a lot more info and yeah, it seems DLP is good enough to describe them.

But they are different that's for sure, they come mostly from projection tv's I find, they're also in projectors but they aren't being thrown out as yet.
    projection tv's didn't last long and I think there's a lot of good stuff in 'em that won't be available again as easily, but that's for another forum again, my own :)

Here's one I have on my desk..

[​IMG]

Here's the other side, it's smooth & flat, no pins..

[​IMG]