DNS Hosting

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by DavidRa, Feb 15, 2019.

1. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

Simple enough question - where are people hosting DNS nowadays? I have a customer with multiple registrar accounts (which we're going to merge, somehow) and multiple DNS hosts - some Telstra CustData, others could be anywhere.

CustData doesn't support DNS CAA, but at least it's easy to delegate to. I host my own stuff at HE.Net but that feels too ... IDK, "tight-ass". Melbourne IT itself used to be horrible to try to create anything other than A and CNAME records, but who knows it might be better now? And them hosting themselves isn't an option (hmm, maybe Azure can do it?)

So fire away please :)

2. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

3. OP
    OP
    DavidRa

DavidRa Member

Ah yes AWS and Route 53 (there's something hosted there already, actually). Because if you're hosting a website in AWS, god forbid you don't hand over all the keys to that kingdom. I'm sure it's better now but when that one was set up it was, "You can create A records for AWS services, GL with much else" if I recall correctly - or at least, that was my impression from the docs.

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

We're using Rackspace Cloud DNS. Was in place when I got here, and it's served us reliably enough that I've never wanted to get rid of it.

5. dyde

dyde Member

Route53 offers much more than this, all standard DNS entries, plus some good things with health checks for intelligent dns load balancing and failover.

My recommendation would be CloudFlare for most use cases.

6. Bad Sektor

Bad Sektor Member

We use DNS Made Easy, never had any trouble, using one of the enterprise packs with 50 domains and 10 fail over DNS records, bought an extra 10 since they worked so well.

7. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

We're in about the same situation. Absolute cluster fuck of DNS and DNS providers.

Been trialing Cloudflare on one of our smaller domains and its been awesome, if only for the easy management. Looking at moving all our other domains over shortly too. Their basic free package is amazing for what you get, site caching, traffic analysis, DDOS protection, etc.

8. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Hurricane Electric here as well, only thing wanting to make me move is lack of an API. Otherwise NSD is pretty easy to configure *wink wink*

9. cvidler

cvidler Member

throwing DynDNS into the ring too. been suing them for over a decade, never an issue.

10. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Sounds like some hefty legal fees.

:p

Fred Nurk, freaky_beeky and DavidRa like this.
  11. cvidler

cvidler Member

but when the payday comes,. ka-ching!

DavidRa and elvis like this.
  12. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Been using Route53 for OCAU for years. 50c a month per domain and maybe another 50c to $1 in fees. Seems to work well.

13. OP
    OP
    DavidRa

DavidRa Member

Now? Yes absolutely. When that one AWS domain was set up not so much (it was years ago after all). I think the specific sticking point was SRV records - I remember grumbling about it extensively whatever it was though!

NSD? Typo for DNS I assume? I have no dramas with it but man the crap I've seen. "It's always DNS" is true. But the root cause is people not understanding what things mean.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  14. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

No, no, NSD is a BIND replacement (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSD). It's much nicer than BIND and still ISC approved.

15. OP
    OP
    DavidRa

DavidRa Member

Oh! Nah they're not in a position to do their own DNS hosting (despite my general disdain for "cloud", I think DNS (for example) actually does belong there).

16. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

Not sure what you mean by "ISC approved"? Its a competing authoritative DNS implementation from the one that ISC develops, in BIND. Do you mean RFC compliant instead?

Also depends on what you're doing with DNS, for simple use cases NSD is fine, BIND does certain things that work better when you're doing complex things. Things that you'll never come across in an enterprise use case anyway, only if you're doing TLD DNS with some "fun" scenarios.

17. scrantic

scrantic Member

A combination of Cloudflare and DNSmadeeasy. Been using them both for a number of years DNSMadeeasy probably close to 15. I'd move all of my domains to Cloudflare without hesitation but it's just a CBF situation of updating all of the domain's. Over the years it would be a nominal amount of times we've ever encountered any impact as the result of outages.

18. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

CloudFlare both as registrar and DNS provider, i got in, in wave 8.

19. freely

freely Member

We use both Route53 and Google Cloud DNS (https://cloud.google.com/dns/) for various domains. Both work very well and fairly easy to use.

It really annoys me that many registrars and providers don't support multiple user account. In a business shared credentials to DNS control panels in a recipe for disaster.

20. Skitza

Skitza Member

Using Azure because O365.