Do any of you use a knife like this?

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Pike, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Pike

Pike Member

[​IMG]

Somone raved about one of these Santoku-style knives to me recently, claiming to use them for cutting just about everything. Have any of you peoples used one? If so, what do you think of them?

NOTE: I AM REFERRING TO THE "GANTON" SCALLOPED EDGE KNIVES. FURI BRAND USED ONLY FOR DEMONSTRATION OF TYPE OF KNIFE...NOT FOR AN OPINION ON FURI BRAND.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  2. Al_fire

Al_fire Member

i have 1 in my wrap at work, not that brand though ( furi's i don't like ).
    I have a wusthof trident 7" version with the same side pockets, and a mundial 7" with no pockets, both are awesome knives that are weighted well and are easy to sharpen because of the shortened blade.

I prefer the trident because of the pocketing on the blade ( helps stuff to fall off the sides of the knive when slicing thinly) but it was 3x the price of the mundial which does pretty much the exact same and each are similarly weighted, albeit the trident a touch lighter.

3. knassy

knassy Member

Furi's are a little too light and not that well balanced imho. Although they will kick the shizen out of your wiltshire stay sharps if you give them some love.

4. jobaby

jobaby Member

I have that knife, I love it. I use it for lots of stuff. It fits into one of the two spare slots in my Furi knife block too. I've heard lots of people say that Furi's aren't weighted well, but I find them quite comfortable.

5. Segression

Segression Member

Mate has the same one at work, but it doesnt have the grooves in the blade .. I dont like it..the handle isnt very balanced. I dont like Furi's myself, i prefer Globals

6. PostModern

PostModern Angry Brewer

So hands up the professional chefs? Would be nice for you guys to post some recipes in here.

I've just started reading "On Cooking" by Labensky and Hause and I'm so amazed at how little I know compared to what I thought I knew. Discussions with professionals would surely lift my game, as well as improve the health and palates of all the Geek Food readers. What do you say?

Apologies to OP. I don't have the $$ for good knives. I just go thru sharpening wheels for my Whiltshires like candy.

7. OP
    OP
    Pike

Pike Member

Sorry, but I didn't necessarily mean Furi knives inparticular. Just was interested to see if the GRANTON EDGED Santoku style knives were as good as my friend says...she actually has a "Shun Santoku" (I think) which is some Jap. brand.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  8. khangu

khangu Member

Would not those style of knife get slippery when your hands are all wet and covered in grease when cutting meat like chicken?

Myself, I prefer the timber handled knives. Bought a couple Victorinoxes, and they were great but a bit pricey. Probably not as pricey as the Furis though.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  9. kingcutter

kingcutter Member

bought a Global 22cm and the recomended sharpening tool, with every cent, use it for all the food i prepare.

KC

10. khangu

khangu Member

Well, that looks like I will need to get one then, to see what all the fuss is about. :)

11. PobodY

PobodY Member

I have a selection of the Global knives... well my wife does anyway.

They're quite soft bladed, so you do need to use a ceramic sharpener on them if you don't want to shave huge ammounts off the blade, but they do stay quite sharp.

I'd say they favour people with smaller hands - you'll often read people say that the grip is too small on them. I also don't find them slippery at all, even when I have oil on my hands.

We like that there's no wood to damage or get bacteria traped under, and that they are well balanced in general - they're not perfect.

12. armers

armers Member

How can you cut with a knife that is made of air?

Don't like furis... i got one of them as a wusthof, all my knives are mostly wusthof's... Nice heavy weighted and well balanced... Something with a good solid handle and some decent weight behind it rocks.

*hugs his 36cm and 20cm.... err carefully*

Cheeers
    Armers

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  13. Sunset

Sunset Member

we have got a couple of furi's (not that model though), and I think they are great.

My parents bought a pretty expensive knife set a little while back (can't remember what brand) and it is absolute crap - constantly blunt.

14. indy75

indy75 Member

you mean that your parents treatment (or lack there of) of the knives is crap, you can't blame the knife for being blunt :p

15. stergiopilus

stergiopilus Member

I would have to agree with that in most cases.

We bought a fair few Victorinox knives (come from switzerland, so we just go to the factory and buy them cheap when we are over there) and our knives stay sharp for ages. Some knives we've given to friends to use have gone blunt very quickly, and it is pretty much just cause they don't take good care of them.

16. BuzzPuppy

BuzzPuppy Member

Another vote for the Globals here... definitely an investment (don't care what my housemates say) that I've used over the years. Correct on the ceramic sharpener though to keep 'em that way. I'm in favour of their handle design for meats/chicken (and eel *grins*, damn oily suckers) compared over the others. Was jealous of a mate's set and his are still going strong 14 years later.

17. Sunset

Sunset Member

no, they are really well looked after - they are stored in their own little drawer with individual spaces for each knife. They never go into the dishwasher.
    Even when well sharpened, they dull so quickly.

18. Badger

Badger Caveat lector

Hmm even if knife is expensive, it doesn't mean that it is good quality...
    The hardness of the steel on the blade is what determines how long it keeps an edge.

My personal knives are a set of the ones the Army issue to cooks, mostly made by Solingen. I am only a home cook now though, and I really only use the 20cm chef's knife, the boning knife and the paring knife, there is also a bread knife, a large butcher knife (30 cm) and a very large chef's knife (40 cm).
    Ive been using them nearly every day for about 3 years, I always wash and dry them and put them in the block as soon as I have finished using them (if i leave them for the wife to wash, she puts them on the dish drainer :( ) and the chef's knife is just starting to need to be sharpened...

19. DirtyCarrot

DirtyCarrot Member

Furi, Global - Same shit, different - well, name really.

Both are weighted incredibly badly and both have crap metal that does not stay sharp for long. The only people that buy them are "pretty boy chefs" and household mums and dads that think they "look nice".

Seriously. They are bad. Even Mundial knifes are better weighted and better to use.

If you are serious about buying a knife like that, go the Japanese cooks knife - either from Trident (who have both the flat blade and the indented blade) or the Zwilling J. Henckel Japanese cooks knife. The blades (when sharpened) will last twice as long as a Furi or Global.

This style of knife is very comfortable to use for extended periods of time chopping stuff up like mushrooms, zucchini, etc etc...

Someone before just said what I said about the blade quality of a global (unwittingly) when he said that you need a ceramic sharpener so you don't damage the blade - it's true, it's what they reccomend, and it's about as effective as rubbing your knife up against the edge of a plate - it just further highlights the weaknesses of the metal used in the blade.

And yes, surprise surprise, I am a Chef :p

20. DirtyCarrot

DirtyCarrot Member

And Sunset, you need to get new knives professionally sharpened about a month after you buy them. This puts a bigger edge on the knife, the edge that comes with the knife (although sharp at first) just doesn't last long enough.