1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Do household non-Teflon press grills exist?

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Bladen, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Bladen

Bladen Member

I am a creature of convenience and would like a Sunbeam sandwich press like grill but without the Teflon poison. Something that is about the same size and has flat hotplates to facilitate easier cleaning (by scrubbing and scraping).

Does such a thing exist? I have only seen Teflon coated crap in the stores that I browse, and a google search only reveals expensive commercial things (aluminium hot plates).

Something like the commercial ones, but of a domestic nature would be good. Better if the plates were stainless steel.

Or is the idea impractical due to things sticking to the top plate? I'd imagine that the lack of oil on the top plate would cause meat and other things to stick.

2. oculi

oculi Member

you tried using a cast iron frying pan? i find they produce much better grilled cheesz and can be cleaned better because you can stick them in the sink.

and how is teflon poison? and if nothing sticks to it how do they stick it to cooking surfaces?

3. OP
    OP
    Bladen

Bladen Member

Teflon flakes off easily, and fumes up at higher temperatures.

I have frying pans (stainless), but the idea of the grill press is for convenience (it cooks from top and bottom at the same time). Why cast iron?

4. oculi

oculi Member

i have a cast iron frying pan which is great to cook with, seems to clean better than cast iron, (doesn;t scratch) i clean it (and cook with) a paint scraper from bunnings.

i find the amazing inconvenience of turning a sandwich over is outweighed byt how difficult it is to clean a sandwich press.

5. broccoli

broccoli Member

That Sunbeam sandwich press only has a set temperature, it doesn't reach high temperatures.

Have you got a gas stove? You could use a jaffle iron.

6. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

Only if you overheat it to temperatures in excess of 350 degrees celcius, and scrub it with a metal scourer etc.
    I'm pretty sure a frypan used properly, let alone a sandwich press doesn't see that sort of temp.
    I figure that there are hundreds of millions or more non-stick items out there, without causing any epidemic, so I just don't worry about it.

7. Brett

Brett Member

Your oil burns off before anything happens to the telfon.

Go back a few years and people were saying the aluminium cookware you're after causes degenerative brain diseases.

8. Moakek

Moakek Member

I'm only concerned about the fineprint for non-stick cookware where it says do not use around birds or other creatures with sensitive respiratory systems.

That warning is there.

9. Revenge

Revenge Member

Just remove the tin-foil hat you are most likely wearing and use it as a barrier between your food and the teflon... should see you right. ;)

10. fiberoptic

fiberoptic (Taking a Break)

you have seen this?

im am genuinely interested. is the warning on every teflon product, or youve only seen it once or so?

(ps. im not in the "oh quick get your tin foil hat on" crew of people who think they know shit for absolute certain... i'd rather be open minded and err on the side of caution for things with stigmatising warnings... doesnt hurt and it isnt that difficult to avoid such things in life so why not, just in case. does anyone know for sure? i hate people who act like they do then abuse or mock others with differing opinions)

11. Moakek

Moakek Member

My gf bought a non-stick pan a few months ago and it did have this warning. Can't remember what brand but it was from K-Mart or Target.

Had a quick look through the Sunbeam press manual and there is no such warning. It does have a section on its Dupont Teflon coating which illustrates its quality and that it is metal utensil resistant.

I think with Teflon products you need consider it on a case by case basis. Like with everything, quality varies across the range of products. So watch out if it is a cheapy generic item.

12. seb

seb Member

A quick "google" and Wikipedia indicate that fumes from heating PTFE to over 350degC (or possibly lower) can potentially harm birds.

13. broccoli

broccoli Member

Yes, Teflon gives off fumes at high temperatures and birds are sensitive to these fumes. You should never put a pan on, turn the heat up to high and let it sit there, or leave a pot to boil dry, but if you are cooking normally (ie heating the pan to medium, fry whatever, remove pan from heat, let cool) you won't have issues. I've got budgies and I've also got that sandwich press. It doesn't get terrifically hot, the sandwiches cook quite slowly and there's no way it can overheat to the types of temperatures needed for the coating to start to fume because it has a fixed temperature and you are watching your sandwiches the whole time and switch it off as soon as they are done.

14. Revenge

Revenge Member

If there is a domestic stove that can readily heat to that sort of temperature.. I WANT ONE !!

Might finally be able to get a decent charred crust on my blued steaks...

15. connico

connico Member

Lol Me too... otherwise your going to have to get a wood fried oven, tandoor or a commerical broiler to satisfy your blue steak cravings :p

Don't put your teflon pans in the oven... even though most domestic ovens wont do much more than 240-300°C

16. sormuijai

sormuijai Member

Why not just cook thing between a layer of foil/baking paper?

17. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

I used to hear this shit all the time when I used to work in retail, if it was honestly THAT bad for you do you think it would be stocked and sold?

Think about it..

18. connico

connico Member

I know there is nothing wrong with Teflon if its not miss treated... but your statement doesn't cover everything mate... for example asbestos... its bad for you... only if your and idiot and do the wrong thing with it now. But back in the dark ages people got screwed because no one knew any better...

19. Psycho84

Psycho84 Member

With the speed information is gathered and shared these days I don't thing using old examples, even as recent as asbestos is really fair.

20. connico

connico Member

I think its quite fair mate. From the things that we eat, drink, put on our skin day... could be 10-50 years before someone says oh you can eat that or drink this or put that on your skin...