1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Do household non-Teflon press grills exist?

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Bladen, Oct 31, 2011.

1. OP
    OP
    Bladen

Bladen Member

One with both flat surfaces would not be that hard to clean.

I want the convenience so I can do other things while the thing is cooking.

My couple of years old George Forman grill is flaking up to the shit house, and it has a set temperature. I have only ever cleaned it with a non-abrasive cloth. It doesn't even resist food sticking that well either (in fact, it is shit these days).

Inhaling the shit may be bad if it happens to get done, but I am sure that inadvertently eating the shit is worse.

Tried cooking with alu foil, and with oil. The foil tends to stick to the item and tear of in little bits. I doubt that the body would absorb such a flake, but if it does absorb real tiny pieces, that would be bad (aluminium is non-toxic, but it is bad shit from a health point of view).

As above.

Product recalls don't happen? What about that incident in China a few years back where melamine was added into infants milk.

Sometimes a company's profits is more important than human life.

See above. I would not be surprised if the choice to add melamine to the milk was made by someone whom had some idea of the consequences, but chose to proceed anyway.

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

It is as easy as pie to clean, you just wipe it. You can't really do other things while it cooks you shouldn't leave it to cook unattended.

My deLonghi grill (ribbed plates) hasn't flaked and I've had it for yonks. None of my non-stick frypans have flaked. Maybe your George Forman grill was just a dud. They aren't exactly big-ticket items, if the surface started to flake off, ditch it. Just buy the press.:lol:

3. OP
    OP
    Bladen

Bladen Member

I want to be able to cook meat on it though. I don't think that press gets that hot.

4. Revenge

Revenge Member

I actually cooked bacon in our sandwiches press for the first time the other day...
    Never again will I make such a mistake. It was fucking awful...
    nothing on this earth is a creepy as bacon that is perfectly flat, it was like looking at a sheet of bacon printed cardboard...
    and about as dry and unpalatable as one too.

5. broccoli

broccoli Member

No, it's just for sandwiches. Get a deLonghi.

6. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

gas stove FTW :)

7. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

I'm sure if industrial chemicals (uranium hexafluoride FTW) ans powerful acids, oxidisers and reducing agents can't touch Teflon, I'm pretty sure your digestive system doesn't have a shot.

The stuff comes out in the same condition as it goes in. Think of it as synthetic fibre. :D

8. BobsYourUncle

BobsYourUncle Member

9. caspian

caspian Member

protip - George Foreman grills are emphatically *not* any standard of quality, regardless of what they cost.

I buy cheap semi-disposable frypans from Coles for $19, beat the crap out of them with stainless steel and scotchbrite scourers, and the teflon doesn't come off. (I care a lot more for my decent pans!)

teflon might not be great if you eat it, but there's a bunch of stuff in the world that comes under that category.

10. Revenge

Revenge Member

same same... Buy cheapy non-stick pans for general shit, just replace 'em when they start to go to pieces (normally takes years though). While I love my big, heavy based quality frypans... nothing is easier than teflon for a fried egg...

11. lethoso

lethoso Member

pfff, cast iron supremacy

12. Revenge

Revenge Member

Yeah... I need to get myself a good cast skillet....

13. glenmcd

glenmcd New Member

I'm with you Bladen! Teflon cookware hates me, or at least how I treat it.18/10 stainless steel I can work with. After considerable time googling I found a company in Sydney that is selling stainless contact grills (the commercial variant of sandwich presses). Where I'm staying at moment I'm severely restricted for space in the kitchen otherwise I'd be buying one of the above for AU$399. For fried sandwiches I'm using a Sunbeam Ellise 18/10 Stainless Steel fry pan. Set frypan between 6 and 7 heat setting. Put two slices in frypan, spray with extra virgin olive oil liberally. Flip both. While the pan is heating, put fillings onto bread slices. If you set the temp right, the oil will start smoking at the same time that you should flip. Place the top slices of bread on, spray liberally and flip both. Put lid on and wait for another smoke signal :) It's not squashed but it's better than simple toast.

Other solutions:
    I've seen ceramic plates on contact presses, but little info to go with them. Recently I've noticed some titanium frypans selling in local shops (Ipswich QLD), but haven't got a price. Here's a link to info on that, with some useful links to the dangers of teflon. If the titanium pans truly are non stick they could be very useful, particularly when you need extremely high temperature settings.

14. garetz

garetz Member

This is wierd i was just looking this up a few nights ago, and i do agree teflon is poison, but after hours upon hours of searching i could not find a sandwich grill or press that is stainless steel or doesnt use some kind of non stick chemical compound.

In the end i came to the conclusion a heavy base cast iron skillet is the way to go.

Now if only i could find one of those locally.

15. The MWNN

The MWNN Member

Try looking in a camping/disposals store, they usually have cast iron pans in many sizes from small to massive also they tend to be cheap <$50 for massive!

They will however be extremely heavy, so much so that its hard to hold the larger ones in 1 hand when hot.

Once they are well seasoned they have a non stick coating nearly as good as teflon but they don't need special tools to cook or clean and they are practically indestructible. They also have a much more even heat distribution and retention than any teflon/aluminum/stainless pan I've used.

I slowly transitioned after getting the shits at teflon/stainless pans. Teflon would always flake off/stop working and need replacement despite the cost of the pan or how gentle i was and stainless sticks to everything and is a pita.

16. Brett

Brett Member

Extra virgin olive oil smokes at 191C, as mentioned earlier teflon damage occurs over 350C.
    Are not an issue as you're only getting to half the required temperature.

17. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

agreed a cast iron frying pan will last several generations and coupled with a wood fired stove or gas nothing beats it for a good ol' bacon, eggs, sausage breakfast :D

18. OPM881

OPM881 Member

I dunno, BBQ of all that stuff is pretty damn good.

19. Stone2x

Stone2x Member

On a cast iron plate? :thumbup:

20. Grom Hellscream

Grom Hellscream Member

Try baking paper. Works on sandwich presses fine :)