Do I go to NBN or not

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by methodMAN, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Falcon

Falcon Member

I went from iinet adsl2 to iinet FTTC about 6 weeks ago, no complaints, no issues, change over went smooth

2. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Leaptel, Skymesh, Aussie BB...

JSmith

3. gords

gords Oh deer!

Another vote for Aussie Broadband. Use it at a number of places and get the advertised speed (all FTTP). The odd occasion I have called support they have answered my query straight away.

4. chip

chip Member

My experience is that their call queue times are a bit longer, but the first person I talked to had the skills and workflows that meant they could solve the problem. Which is a rare things for a retail ISP these days.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  5. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Active8me has been decent for me over the past year and a half, their helpdesk shuts at like 7pm though which seems kind of crazy to me... the outages I've had to date have usually been around 6pm (during dst this sucks...) or at 11pm pretty much on the dot.

I can always pull a steam download or speedtest right up to my QoS limit of 90mbit though so I can't fault their peak time speeds.

6. caspian

caspian Member

11pm would be a planned outage which your ISP should be notifying you of well beforehand - they get the advisory weeks in advance themselves.

7. OP
    OP
    methodMAN

methodMAN Member

8. caspian

caspian Member

the FTTC NCD is a bridged modem. you still need a router, which is why the diagram in the link you mention shows a gateway device in use. most ISPs will supply one if required.

9. OP
    OP
    methodMAN

methodMAN Member

Just signed up for iinet NBN50 after cutting a deal with the iinet customer care team.

To transfer from my ADSL account, I just have to pay $10 for delivery of the modem.

NO lock in contract or cancellation fees, NO modem costs, and NO NBN activation fees.

So for $10 I get to try and see what iinet NBN50 is like.

cheers

mM

10. darknebula

darknebula Member

I’d suggest checking out Superloop as well, staffed in Australia as well. I’ve been with them on FTTC for a few months now and speed is always in the mid 90’s.

They also publish their CVC usage in the members area

11. OP
    OP
    methodMAN

methodMAN Member

I’ve been over on the WP forums, way too much info for 1 person to take in and analyse.

But superloop and ABB did get mentions for having better international connection / route speeds.

I’m pretty sure my Netflix and YouTube will still work exactly as it has been.

Upload speed will be the big difference. I notice that on my parents connection, I backup what’s app and google photos when I visit.

mM

12. Darko

Darko Member

Quoted theoretical speeds are never the reality

13. caspian

caspian Member

they pretty much are with this technology, as long as you bear in mind the product description is a layer 2 speed. if you understand the implications and meaning of that, you won't be disappointed.

14. OP
    OP
    methodMAN

methodMAN Member

tomorrow is the big day.... running a speed test now. Will be interesting to see results.

mM

15. OP
    OP
    methodMAN

methodMAN Member

and the results are in.....

To a remote international server, at 9pm Sydney Time, the exact same files, the exact same server.

ADSL in RED
    NBN in GREEN

[​IMG]

So the NBN officially sucks. I always had the ADSL speeds as a constant.

So I now have twice the "theoretical" download speed but my actual download speed has dropped by approx 85%!!!!

hmm....

mM

16. MELso76

MELso76 Member

Is your RSP/ISP the same?

17. OP
    OP
    methodMAN

methodMAN Member

yep, same ISP - iinet NBN50 plan.

speedtest results are the exact same upload/download at anytime of day - I don't consider that a real word test for my internet usage habits.

mM

18. caspian

caspian Member

you can't directly compare the two connections in such a manner when all sorts of other things can change as well, such as your ISP's international peering and routing.

try testing from a local source to determine what the NBN connection itself is actually capable of first.